The Coronation Page 3

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 7th May 2023, 12:53 PM

................. is absolutely absurd, ridiculous, archaic and should be abolished, that's all.

Which is exactly how I feel about the House of Commons and more so the House of Lords - I would be quite happy with an absolute monarchy, which I am bloody sure would be a lot, lot less expensive than those freeloaders in that monstrosity of the Palace of Westminster

It does. A fair chunk of Crown Estate profits goes back to the treasury. The monarchy is not a (purely) self interest society, it serves the country its the head of, and while not elected, any referendum on it would keep it as the head of state. As for their family shenanigans, is it any worse than that of members of the govt. or many private citizens? And we had an effective republic, it lasted all of ten years so there must have been some kind of public consent to having a monarchy or they wouldn't have been reinstated.

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th May 2023, 3:24 PM

It should be (voluntarily) be handed over to the state.
The state should make money from it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th May 2023, 3:49 PM

Which is exactly how I feel about the House of Commons and more so the House of Lords - I would be quite happy with an absolute monarchy, which I am bloody sure would be a lot, lot less expensive than those freeloaders in that monstrosity of the Palace of Westminster

Hang about, Herc, you're now sounding as bitter as those anti-royalists you were deriding earlier. ;)

Also, the first thing a King Charles government would do would be to raise green taxes sky high and lean into environmental policies, which I'm guessing wouldn't go down to well with you.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th May 2023, 3:57 PM

It does. A fair chunk of Crown Estate profits goes back to the treasury. The monarchy is not a (purely) self interest society, it serves the country its the head of, and while not elected, any referendum on it would keep it as the head of state. As for their family shenanigans, is it any worse than that of members of the govt. or many private citizens? And we had an effective republic, it lasted all of ten years so there must have been some kind of public consent to having a monarchy or they wouldn't have been reinstated.

I understand that.
One again, I'm not against the monarchy.
It could be trimmed down.
Less hangers-on (a process Charlie-boy seems to be setting in motion, God Bless him).
Those that work hard, work bloody hard.
Those that don't, don't.
It could give more to the State.
It's main job is tourism & jolly-ing people along -and, as a welcome side-benefit, means the question of Presidents etc etc doesn't come up.
Billy bragg rather eloquently put it on the R4 debate
"The first thing they need to do is pick a house"

And I'm not sure the public had much say in the re-instatement of King Charles II, as hardly anyone had the right to vote.
It wad the noblemen - keen to regain status and wealth - who saw to that.

Quote: chipolata @ 7th May 2023, 4:49 PM

Hang about, Herc, you're now sounding as bitter as those anti-royalists you were deriding earlier. ;)

Also, the first thing a King Charles government would do would be to raise green taxes sky high and lean into environmental policies, which I'm guessing wouldn't go down to well with you.

You're assuming rather a lot there, and yes, I still maintain it would be better for the country, and you may have noticed I absolutely f**king detest all politicians. 😠

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th May 2023, 5:04 PM

I still maintain it would be better for the country,

Well...
The list of remaining absolute monarchies makes for pretty grim reading.
Not if your the King,of course - then it's all beer and skittles.

Or champers and croquet

It's worked pretty well as it is for the last 300 odd years so why change it? You don't have to like them and ofcourse they lead very comfortable lives but to think there's a better and cheaper system round the corner is ridiculous. They don't have absolute power nor should they, and I think some of the ceremony is over the top and outdated, but a lot of folk still like that sort of thing. Charles won't be able to change much of that as it's set in stone now, but I think he may attempt to cut down the daily admin of the estate and make some of them a bit less visible, like his naughty brother.

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th May 2023, 5:01 PM

And I'm not sure the public had much say in the re-instatement of King Charles II, as hardly anyone had the right to vote.
It wad the noblemen - keen to regain status and wealth - who saw to that.

Yes it was, but the public had had their fill of taliban like rule and wanted the pubs and theatres open again. England has always been a hearty and free living loving nation and getting their lives back was far more important than the type of govt. they had, especially when the civil war and revolution was done by an elite way above them for their own political ends.

A lot of people like all this royal palaver because it makes them feel superior to the French and the Spanish and the Italians etc etc

The "we are special" arrogance

Also one of the reasons so many people voted for Brexit

We don't want to associate with the likes of YOU cos we're British damnit

I knew I'd seen that logo somewhere before!

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th May 2023, 5:01 PM

I'm not sure the public had much say in the re-instatement of King Charles II, as hardly anyone had the right to vote.

A fair point, Lazzard.

I am a fan of the Royal Family and much prefer them to the alternatives. I'm sick of hearing about the cost of the Coronation and all the 'poor people it could have fed'. There are genuinely poor people out there but most are lifestyle paupers. Latest iPhones, latest branded gear, drinking, smoking. Shops are busy, pubs and clubs are busy. Everyone wants brand new furniture and 65" tvs.

God save the King.

Quote: lofthouse @ 7th May 2023, 7:25 PM

A lot of people like all this royal palaver because it makes them feel superior to the French and the Spanish and the Italians etc etc
The "we are special" arrogance

Also one of the reasons so many people voted for Brexit

We don't want to associate with the likes of YOU cos we're British damnit

Not everything boils down to racism and xenophobia.

I did like how massively woke the coronation concert was with its refugees/NHS choir and eco friendly messaging. Nice to see our new King wearing his lefty liberal credentials on his sleeve.

The drone displays were impressive - must take a helluva program for them not to crash into each other

I suspect while the Royal Family remain fundamentally popular (and they are), they pay for themselves by attracting tourism.
If they cease to be popular, as might happen if William's affairs become more widely publicised, we should perhaps consider giving them the heave ho.