The Coronation

I'm surprised this didn't have it's own thread, as its a very historical thing , or will be
The previous Coronation 70 years ago, had a great discussion started by Ye Old British Comedy Guide's very own Town Crier
but back then a lot of it was all in black and white, or greyed out as we call it these days

Have we lost that much respect for the Royal family in a mere 70 years that some idiot like me has to start a thread rather than it being an automatic thread pinned to the top of the forum

You tell me

I'm not anti Royals but don't give a toss. Apart from the pictures on my cash I can't think of any direct effect on me or my life.

In answer to your question, generally yes we have lost respect from what there was 70 years ago. The reasons for this are multitudinous, society has coarsened, we are much wiser and more cynical due to mass media and far freer now to express our opinions. Letting half the world in to live in our country hasn't helped, as their struggles for equality and respect here have caused a massive backlash against our country, its colonial past and its close ties to and policy favour of the increasingly hated USA.

The liberals among us have seemingly abandoned their patriotism and joined forces with the prickly non indigenous. It has contributed to the decision to leave the EU, which in turn has heightened the backlash and lack of respect for our head of state and led us to become fractured as a nation, divided by patriots and traitorous lefty scum, who will go out of their way to abuse our freedoms of speech to show their lack of respect for our monarchy and the notion of Great Britishness, and many want Britain to fall apart and become just a nationless receptacle for other nationalities and cultures to further swamp and diminish our own. Hope this helps, morning.

You should take time out and talk to some 'non indigenous', Alfred, because the ones I know are far more patriotic and into the royals than the people who were born here.

I thought of starting a thread (as I did for the Platinum Jubilee) but felt it prudent to avoid the inevitable abuse it would attract from certain parties.

The older generations mainly, but they're dying out. And the younger ones who don't like us are being very vocal in the media, and giving their reasons why.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th May 2023, 8:27 AM

In answer to your question, generally yes we have lost respect from what there was 70 years ago. The reasons for this are multitudinous, society has coarsened, we are much wiser and more cynical due to mass media and far freer now to express our opinions. Letting half the world in to live in our country hasn't helped, as their struggles for equality and respect here have caused a massive backlash against our country, its colonial past and its close ties to and policy favour of the increasingly hated USA.

The liberals among us have seemingly abandoned their patriotism and joined forces with the prickly non indigenous. It has contributed to the decision to leave the EU, which in turn has heightened the backlash and lack of respect for our head of state and led us to become fractured as a nation, divided by patriots and traitorous lefty scum, who will go out of their way to abuse our freedoms of speech to show their lack of respect for our monarchy and the notion of Great Britishness, and many want Britain to fall apart and become just a nationless receptacle for other nationalities and cultures to further swamp and diminish our own. Hope this helps, morning.

Well said Alf - I couldn't have put it better myself.

Long Live the King!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th May 2023, 9:02 AM

The older generations mainly, but they're dying out. And the younger ones who don't like us are being very vocal in the media, and giving their reasons why.

Not the younger ones I talk to.

Generally speaking there is less deference now, although the royal family themselves have to shoulder a lot of that blame with their soap opera style shenanigans of the last fifty odd years.

Yes that hasn't helped, but the aristocracy's predilection for affairs and mistresses and general loose and high living goes back millennia, but they didn't have a rabidly free press then or the even more insidious social media. They've learned the hard way that they can't live as they once did and maintain the level of deference and respect.

A ridiculous farce, a golden V sign to the British people by a ludicrously privileged elite. Is that what you were waiting for, Alfred? 😂

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th May 2023, 9:47 AM

They've learned the hard way that they can't live as they once did and maintain the level of deference and respect.

And that's a good thing, surely?

I should imagine the decline in respect for the monarchy is roughly parralleled by the decline in the belief in God.
Both are intrinsically linked, as that is the supposed 'source' of the monarch's power.
Of course, much like the notion of God, that power was always and originally predicated on fear of punishment, rather than respect.

And obscenely expensive when so many people are struggling to put food on the table.

I must admit I've never been a great fan of the latest incumbent. But I've no objection to the institution itself. Far better than the alternative of electing a head of state with their expensive residences and elaborate means of transport (think the Elysee Palace, think Air Force One) and the divisiveness that that would inevitably bring to the country (as if we didn't have enough already). Given the voting record of the Great British public (from Boaty McBoat Face to Brexit), would the anti-royalists really be prepared to accept a President Trump or a President Boris? I think not.

Quote: beaky @ 7th May 2023, 10:14 AM

And obscenely expensive when so many people are struggling to put food on the table.

Yes because there is no poverty in those countries without a monarchy

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th May 2023, 10:19 AM

Yes because there is no poverty in those countries without a monarchy

But there's usually some rich bugger keeping all the money to themselves.

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th May 2023, 10:29 AM

But there's usually some rich bugger keeping all the money to themselves.

Exactly.