I Hate You

I Hate You, the new sitcom from Friday Night Dinner writer Robert Popper, is set to debut next week. All six episodes will be available on All 4 from Friday 29th. Channel 4 broadcast to follow, but hasn't yet been scheduled. Mid-October perhaps.

I've had a sneaky preview and it is very bloody funny. The two leads are excellent, and there's a wonderful barmy flavour to the show and its humour. Their relationship will be compared to FND's sibling rivalry between Jonny and Adam, but they're together through a lot more than genes, so there's a more tender love there too.

All in all, bloody good fun. If you liked Friday Night Dinner it has some of the same uproarious surrealness to its humour and situations, so should appeal.

Fairy muff.

Will give it a go.

Sounds good. Been a big fan of Popper since Look Around You.

Is this a proper 30 minute sitcom?

Quote: Chappers @ 21st September 2022, 9:18 PM

Is this a proper 30 minute sitcom?

Six 30-minute episodes, yes.

Aside from FND, are there any other shows to which you could compare this in terms of its tone / style of comedy etc. ?

Quote: TheAdmiralFitz @ 22nd September 2022, 3:33 PM

Aside from FND, are there any other shows to which you could compare this in terms of its tone / style of comedy etc. ?

Tonally, it's a location-shot show in a big city following 20-something friends who don't have lots of money, so feels the same as almost everything else that's been on in the last decade.

Comedy style... Er. Well, it's not a bleak, black drama type show. It's not a Fleabag with a message or a mission. Like FND it very much has entertainment and laughter in mind - it sets up to actual jokes and explicitly funny dialogue and scenes. You could draw some parallels to Starstruck in terms of 20-something female flatmate-and-friendship. Some outrageous scenarios like FND, Plebs or Siblings I suppose.

Struggling with the question though, not because of I Hate You itself, but because everything else is so tedious it fails to stick in the memory.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2022/09/29/hate-review-channel-4s-latest-sitcom-absolute-dogs-dinner/

I don't think this chap liked it very much...

He is right in that Channel 4 seem to be putting it out without much fanfare though, considering the credentials of those involved.

Watching this and really enjoying it. I like Friday Night Dinner and also has a Green Wing feel about it.

One of the better modern sitcoms.

Lovely to see Geoffrey from Fresh Prince as the dapper old man.

Quote: zooo @ 13th October 2022, 10:46 PM

Lovely to see Geoffrey from Fresh Prince as the dapper old man.

Wow. Really? That was him?
I enjoyed it. Good cast. Funny. Good title sequence. Not really sneaked out - saw a few trailers for it.
Why is it called I Hate
You ?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 14th October 2022, 9:41 AM

I enjoyed it. Good cast. Funny. Good title sequence. Not really sneaked out - saw a few trailers for it.
Why is it called I Hate
You ?

Probably as best friends they hate each other.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 14th October 2022, 9:41 AM

Yep!

I don't really know who you're talking about although I recognised both of them. One used to be in the Fast Show I think.

Oh yes. The Butler?

Quote: Chappers @ 14th October 2022, 1:05 PM

Oh yes. The Butler?

Yes. I slightly fancied him myself, Maybe it was the hat.