Coronavirus Page 43

Quote: A Horseradish @ 23rd April 2020, 1:54 PM

. I mention this because in this age of virtual reality and games for fantasists everyone in charge is like that now. Scientists. Politicians. You name it.

Consequently, I don't believe a word that any of them says.

But you sort of do. You just chose to believe alternative medical experts or fringe voices on the internet. Which of course is your prerogative.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 23rd April 2020, 6:00 PM

But do the many really need two innocent children to be prevented from enjoying a paddle in the sea (and thereby probably souring their relationship with the police for evermore) or for an elderly woman to be stopped from having her healthy early morning dip in the sea?

I do think there are a lot of examples of the police acting in an over the top and counterproductive ways, but that sums up the police before this lockdown as well. Especially if you're not white.

Apparently, coronavirus doesn't affect rats and snakes.

No wonder so many of our politicians are looking so smug!

Quote: chipolata @ 24th April 2020, 6:44 AM

I do think there are a lot of examples of the police acting in an over the top and counterproductive ways, but that sums up the police before this lockdown as well. Especially if you're not white.

Agreed - but many of them are the result of pretty mixed messages from their superiors - both in the force & govt.
But yeah, there are a fair few c***s in blue.

Just when you think Trump has reached the human limits of saying crass and moronic things, he talks about injecting disinfectant to kill the coronavirus. I very much hope some of his devoted MAGA hat wearing supporters follow through on this advice.

Someone is gonna pinch me soon and I'll wake up

The whole f**king planet is in lockdown and this retard is the most powerful man in the world

LORD TELL ME IM DREAMING FFS

Quote: chipolata @ 24th April 2020, 6:44 AM

Too true, send a thief to catch a thief. I guess if you want people to batter down a door with gunmen the other side, their bedside matter might be lacking. I have a relative in the Police and some of the stories her lot have told me would make your eyes water. Hillsborough is just the tip of the iceberg. The ones I spoke to seemed to believe they just know if someone is guilty just by looking at them, and Lawyers with their evidence just get in the way of their excellent deduction by sight skills. :S

Quote: Firkin @ 24th April 2020, 12:00 PM

The (police officers) I spoke to seemed to believe they just know if someone is guilty just by looking at them

A great many people outside the police force also seem to believe they have that same ability.

A photograph of a defendant appears in the newspaper and they can tell just by looking at his face whether or not he is guilty.

There is, of course, something about power that tends to corrupt people. I've known some very nice chaps who joined the police force and became complete and utter bastards.

The frightening thing is that plenty of young policemen (and women) were already complete and utter bastards before they joined the force: I shudder to think what effect the police force had on them.

As it happens, two of my best friends at school became coppers and the stories they've told me about police violence and corruption are truly astonishing.

Some years ago, I recounted some of the stories on BCG and the general reaction was that either my friends were lying to me or that I was lying to the BCG membership.

My most earnest belief is that if you gave the British police force the same powers that were given to certain government agencies under the Third Reich, our coppers would be every bit as bad.

Why? Because they're human - and human beings are like that.

Quote: chipolata @ 24th April 2020, 11:39 AM

Just when you think Trump has reached the human limits of saying crass and moronic things, he talks about injecting disinfectant to kill the coronavirus. I very much hope some of his devoted MAGA hat wearing supporters follow through on this advice.

Most astonishing is that he hasn't yet been removed from power on the grounds of mental incapacitation for making that asinine statement. Are Americans too dumb to get someone who isn't a complete moron?

Sadly, by the end of today he'll deny he ever said any such thing and go on a rant about fake news and conspiracies to bring him down, and his base will swallow it all. Hopefully with a pint of Toilet Duck.

Quote: chipolata @ 24th April 2020, 11:39 AM

Just when you think Trump has reached the human limits of saying crass and moronic things, he talks about injecting disinfectant to kill the coronavirus.......

Donald's a Quack. Next he'll turn water into champagne and build the Great Wall of Trump.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th April 2020, 12:20 PM

...... friends at school became coppers and the stories they've told me about police violence and corruption are truly astonishing ...... I recounted some of the stories on BCG and the general reaction was that either my friends were lying ......

I believe you Rood, interesting post.

I am reading the Trump comments differently from most people. They were partly a wry observation on how scientific experts disagree among themselves and can't say much about this thing that is certain although they have certainty about what we all should be doing. For example, is it anything to do with a pangolin anteater? Does wearing a bandana help? Would wearing a bandana be helpful only if it was anything to do with a pangolin anteater?

The list of what they don't know other than we should all be in lockdown is massively long. So he could have said "maybe eating corn or cabbage will be the answer - or flying to Mars - or draining the swamp? - I dunno, I'm not a scientist." There was definitely a bit of deliberate sarcasm in it. And that would also be linked to the sentiment "I thought I was going to get a second term in office but this thing may work against me". Understandable pique really.

The UK hospital coronavirus-related death toll rises by 684 to 19,506.

Do we think they'll let Big Ben bong when the total reaches a million dead?

PS. Don't blame me for that distasteful suggestion: I'm quoting Frankie Boyle.

There you go.

The announcement came afterwards.

I have influence in a lot of places.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-coronavirus-inject-disinfectant-quote-a9483151.html Wave

But Horse, Trump got a Comedian fired for being sarcastic. So it follows Trump's hypocritical arse should be fired. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-40135548/fired-comedian-kathy-griffin-weeps-trump-broke-me

Quote: Firkin @ 24th April 2020, 8:52 PM

But Horse, Trump got a Comedian fired for being sarcastic. So it follows Trump's hypocritical arse should be fired. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-40135548/fired-comedian-kathy-griffin-weeps-trump-broke-me

It isn't just comedians.

He took my advice via our secret services this afternoon then fired me.

I'm not crying about it.

I will just self-isolate until he falls out with Mr Pence and wait for the call to be his V-P.