Coronavirus Page 38

I've been furloughed for over a week now. Just received an e-mail from my employers explaining that the company is experiencing tough times- turnover is disappointing, profits down, probable redundancies in future blah blah- nice to know they've got their priorities present and correct, c**ts.

This is hopeful news:

The world's biggest trial of drugs to treat Covid-19 patients has been set up in the UK at unprecedented speed, and hopes to have some answers within weeks.

The Recovery trial has recruited over 5,000 patients in 165 NHS hospitals around the UK in a month, ahead of similar trials in the US and Europe, which have a few hundred.

"This is by far the largest trial in the world," said Peter Horby, professor of emerging infectious diseases and global health at Oxford University, who is leading it. He has previously led Ebola drug trials in west Africa and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

The Recovery team expects to be the first to have definitive data. "We're guessing some time in June we may get the results," said Prof Horby. "If it is really clear that there are benefits, an answer will be available quicker." But he warned that in the case of Covid-19, there would be no "magic bullet".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/world-biggest-drug-trial-covid-19-uk

Quote: chipolata @ 3rd March 2020, 4:31 PM

I saw a woman in Primark in a face mask, although I'm not sure that was to do with the Coronavirus.

Maybe she knows she's an ugly bastard and that's why she hides behind the mask. THIS IS THE AGE OF THE UGLY BASTARD! HOORAY.

Robert Kennedy Jr. on vaccines industry, Trump, and climate change:

16 January 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyxEo2kqo08

Fascinating interview.

I rather like him. :)

Kennedy??

Knowing his families curse he will probably die of covid 19 any minute now....

Quote: lofthouse @ 17th April 2020, 9:31 PM

Kennedy??

Knowing his families curse he will probably die of covid 19 any minute now....

Ha, yes, but have you seen any part of the interview,,,,,,,,,he already hasn't had life especially easy.

I didn't know him before.

He's a sort of a Sanders-Biden combo plus a bit of Trump. Apparently Trump was going to have him chairing a vaccine industry investigation (incidentally Kennedy isn't totally against vaccines but rather the monopoly and blase way with the research) but then that industry got to Trump with its big money and he ditched the idea. He may be thinking differently now. Trump with Kennedy as running mate would get Trump back in but they would clash hugely on the environment. Of course, Kennedy is a controversial Democrat but then again Trump is hardly a typical Republicans if Republican at all.

The World Health Organisation has said there is no evidence that people who have recovered from coronavirus are immune to further infection.

If survivors are not immune to further infection, that means, of course, that "herd immunity" to coronavirus does not and cannot exist.

We're doomed, I tell you - doomed! :(

Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th April 2020, 9:22 AM

We're doomed, I tell you - doomed! :(

We'll just have to get used to the fact that people get ill and some people die from those illnesses. And that people don't necessarily live to their eighties and beyond. It was a concept that the human race lived with until about sixty years ago (and which those outside the pampered west still have to live with). In recent years, for some reason, the idea has grown that old age is something that can be cured. Not necessarily to the benefit of those who, by being subjected to countless operations & procedures in an attempt to add a few more years or months to their longevity, or who go on to suffer from dementia, are denied the chance to die in peace and with dignity.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th April 2020, 10:26 AM

We'll just have to get used to the fact that people get ill and some people die from those illnesses. And that people don't necessarily live to their eighties and beyond. It was a concept that the human race lived with until about sixty years ago (and which those outside the pampered west still have to live with). In recent years, for some reason, the idea has grown that old age is something that can be cured. Not necessarily to the benefit of those who, by being subjected to countless operations & procedures in an attempt to add a few more years or months to their longevity, or who go on to suffer from dementia, are denied the chance to die in peace and with dignity.

I agree, so long as it's not me.

Beaky, are you now doing covid19-themed cartoons? I notice the latest issue of Viz is crammed full of topical coronavirus gags.

I checked The Beano online but couldn't immediately see any comics. Instead there was a pile of cringe, such as Which Friends character are you? And Are You Ant or Dec? There was however a dandy covid19 quiz, telling kids that it's nothing to worry about: https://www.beano.com/posts/coronavirus-use-your-head-and-stop-the-spread

Quote: beaky @ 18th April 2020, 11:35 AM

Perhaps we should ask for volunteers?

Quote: beaky @ 18th April 2020, 11:35 AM

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

One newspaper/comic yesterday was saying that half of people currently in their 40s are showing signs of significant bodily deterioration.

Until this point, I had assumed taking MDMA while living crustily in a tree for a month had simply failed to prevent the Winchester Bypass.

Re the figures, would I be right in thinking that we are now in the period when the lock down should have had a clearer effect on Covid-19?

Also, does anyone share my sudden nostalgia for norovirus? I know it wasn't always great but I liked it much better and it had a prettier name.

In the last 24 hours, there were 888 coronavirus-related deaths in UK hospitals.

Perhaps Beaky might wish to draw a cartoon depicting the nation's hospitals being ravaged by "The Three Fat Ladies of the Apocalypse"?

The U.K.'s coronavirus-related hospital death toll now stands at 15,464.

At age 7, I was determined to live the entirety of my life sitting in a tin can with planet earth looking blue as I floated in space in a most peculiar way. The incredible thing was that I managed it for 50 solid years with consummate ease.

Now Rule Britannia is out of bounds for my mother, my dog and clowns and seemingly everyone else including me. This bastard thing has forced me to be confined on the earth totally against my will by virtue of getting me to ask myself if there is life on Mars from an other-than-moon perspective. Even worse, given the first record came three or four years earlier than the second, it has added years and years on to me so that I am now a bloody 10 year old. I'm absolutely livid.