Coronavirus Page 41

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st April 2020, 6:02 PM

Suddenly people have stopped praising Sweden for not over-reacting with draconian lockdown laws.
Worst performing Nordic country by a long way - and rising.

What do you expect from people that bathe in ice cold water, they're not afraid of nature. Can't help noticing the Chinese countries, Taiwan etc.. are fairing better than most with coronavirus. When I visited Taiwan everyone wore face masks due to the pollution. They are also a very compliant society. They've had 6 deaths on a population of 24 million.

Coronavirus has to be the best thing that's ever happened to the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Everybody's at home! Laughing out loud

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st April 2020, 6:02 PM

Suddenly people have stopped praising Sweden for not over-reacting with draconian lockdown laws.
Worst performing Nordic country by a long way - and rising.

But of course, as I believe I may have mentioned before(!), it's not necessarily all about "coronavirus related" deaths. One also has to take into account the deaths caused by the lockdown itself - those caused by the cancellation of planned operations & scheduled treatment; those caused by resulting mental heath issues; those related to domestic abuse; those incurred for decades to come due to the inability to fund the NHS caused by the crashing of the economy. Not to mention the adverse effect on education and the arts for the many years to come.

I find it strange that when the question of "climate change" is ever discussed, it's always "we are only tenants on this planet. We must leave it in good shape for future generations". Suddenly, now the danger is perceived to be more immediate and more tangible, we hit panic mode and it's "we must look after ourselves and b****r future generations."

According to official figures:

Belgium, population 11.5 million, has confirmed around 6000 coronavirus-related deaths.

Ethiopia, with 10 times that population, has apparently had only 3 such deaths.

Ethiopia probably doesn't have hundreds of care homes full of OAPs

I'm guessing if you reach 50 you're considered ancient ?

Ethiopia has a population density of 83 people per square mile - one of the lowest densities in the world. Belgium has a density of 991 people per square mile.

The last 24 hours saw another 770 coronavirus-related deaths in hospitals in the UK.

UK hospital total is now at least 18,100.

Reports and photographs in today's papers show large numbers of Britons going about what look very much like their normal daily lives.

As far as lockdown is concerned, it may or may not be a great idea but I think the time is not far off when huge numbers of the great British public are going to say "Sod it! We've had enough of this nonsense!"

And what are the police going to do? Arrest thousands of people and keep them in jail cells and prisons that don't exist?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 22nd April 2020, 4:18 PM

Reports and photographs in today's papers show large numbers of Britons going about what look very much like their normal daily lives.

As far as lockdown is concerned, it may or may not be a great idea but I think the time is not far off when huge numbers of the great British public are going to say "Sod it! We've had enough of this nonsense!"

And what are the police going to do? Arrest thousands of people and keep them in jail cells and prisons that don't exist?

That was one of the reasons given for not introducing "lockdown" at an earlier stage. Because they knew that people would only accept it for so long and, if they introduced it too early, people would be beginning to break it by the time the peak period arrived.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 22nd April 2020, 4:18 PM

Round my way people seem to be largely observing lockdown and social distancing. There are flouters, but at the moment they're still in the minority.

The question is exactly where are these people going about their normal lives? With no coffee shops or cafes open, very few shops, no theatres, no cinemas, no museums, no sports events. If they are managing to go about their normal lives, they must leave very mundane normal lives. That's all I can say.

Quote: lofthouse @ 22nd April 2020, 3:24 PM

Ethiopia probably doesn't have hundreds of care homes

I think Rood is related to Piers Morgan.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd April 2020, 6:09 PM

The question is exactly where are these people going about their normal lives? With no coffee shops or cafes open, very few shops, no theatres, no cinemas, no museums, no sports events. If they are managing to go about their normal lives, they must leave very mundane normal lives. That's all I can say.

Maybe they do flower arranging or are in a book group. There's no end to the amazing ways people pass their time.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd April 2020, 4:46 PM

That was one of the reasons given for not introducing "lockdown" at an earlier stage. Because they knew that people would only accept it for so long and, if they introduced it too early, people would be beginning to break it by the time the peak period arrived.

If you believe that was the reason, you do indeed live in fairytale land. The delay was because Boris is an ignorant lazy swine.

Quote: Briosaid @ 22nd April 2020, 9:04 PM

If you believe that was the reason, you do indeed live in fairytale land. The delay was because Boris is an ignorant lazy swine.

I didn't say I believed it (I believe very little of what I'm being fed). That's why I specifically said "one of the reasons given..."

Of course, the "delay" to implementing "lockdown", to which you object, may have been because of the resistance being threatened from some quarters. Like from this person for example:

Quote: Briosaid @ 15th March 2020, 7:02 PM

Bugger that! I plan to start a pensioner resistance group. We will sneak out dressed in wigs and low cut tops with massive fake boobs on display so that the Army think we're teenagers. Let me know if you want to join my gang,, but you have to swear allegiance to Nicola Sturgeon who thinks the whole idea of pensioners being incarcerated is bollocks.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd April 2020, 9:45 PM

I didn't say I believed it (I believe very little of what I'm being fed). That's why I specifically said "one of the reasons given..."

Of course, the "delay" to implementing "lockdown", to which you object, may have been because of the resistance being threatened from some quarters. Like from this person for example:

You do indeed live in fairy tale land