British Comedy Quiz Page 14

5/10. # 2, 3, 4, 7(on a process of elimination) & 8 (educated guess based on the options available).

Seemed to suit me this one, 11 - 7&4.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st August 2022, 11:19 AM

just told him I was working on a Peter Sellers one, and he said it "may not be universally well known enough",

That's possibly one of the saddest comedy related things I've heard. If there was a BA(Hons) in British comedy he'd be a major module.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th August 2022, 3:02 PM

With the amount I've put in and whatever you and say Alf has, there's going to be duplication, but I think Mark is relying on people forgetting any previous questions, as he has said before when I sent him the 15th one (now working on number 22) he said it was doubtful if it saw the light of day until this time next year.

Well, unless he can be talked into doing two quizzes a week, or have a weekend one every other week or something to get through the backlog. The fact members like doing them I'd say is a good thing, so...have more of them (if resources allow).

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th August 2022, 10:06 AM

That's possibly one of the saddest comedy related things I've heard. If there was a BA(Hons) in British comedy he'd be a major module.

Mark is still at the Fringe, I think, but I will ask him again about Sellers - maybe he was a bit rushed off his feet at the time, in Edinburgh.

However, I had this post from Nike Walton, which may explain some of Mark's reticence :-

Quote: Niki Walton @ 21st August 2022, 8:18 PM

I've long considered myself a comedy nerd but could tell you hardly anything about Peter Sellers other than he died when I was very young. I couldn't even name a TV show he's been on, or indeed recognise him in a photograph.

But having said that, I think we need to have a quiz that caters for all age groups. A lot of these more modern ones, that I never watch for example, are lost on me. Whereas, I do try and spread the genre and age about with my quizzes.

I meant sad but inevitable, as with all older things, they become less known to the now generation. I don't doubt most casual and younger readers wouldn't recognise his picture, or more than likely are unaware they've seen him in several films on telly. I can easily understand him not being universally known now after 40 years gone.

I think I may have said this somewhere on here a while back as I don't do Twitter, but about 20 years ago I was walking down Old Street from City Road when they were doing a major refurb of the roundabout and underpass to the Tube station and other sides of the road. They had exposed the tiled central column which had been hidden by later wooden facades I think, and stuck to the wall was a pristine poster of Peter Sellers, to promote the 1st or 2nd Pink Panther film.

That's it, not an unremarkable thing to see, except his face seemed to shine out like an angel's in a ray of brilliant light. He was a strikingly photogenic and handsome man, even his poster seemed to have an energy about it, as many who knew him said HE did. Certainly brightened my day.

I think MrApollo has hit on why Sellers is not known so much as say Hancock, for which I've done two quizzes, is because of the television history, i.e. of course, the two were complete opposites as far as type of media is concerned.

Love the story of the poster! It's a pity you didn't have a kettle of boiling water with you, so you could have steamed it off. Might now be worth summat. ?

3. the first 2 and the last.
Thanks Alfred for giving me the opportunity to display my ignorance :)

Yes, perhaps I should mention I've made it hard. Matron.

Yes, effin hard.

4/10 & 2/5,- Four were ones I knew for a fact, with two educated guesses, using your naughty red herrings.

I thought it was quite easy!

Aaron, one would expect you to get 15/15 every week, with your expertise. ?

6/10 - numbers 1, 2, 4, 7 (an educated guess), 8 & 10

Hopeless.
4 & 1 !
But I'm not a Carry On fan, so I 'll go easy on myself.

2/10 and 3/5 - I think the first time I've got more right in the extra five than the main ten. The franchise in general was rather a mixed bag and there's plenty I've not seen at all while I probably know at least half the script to a couple of the movies. Good set of Qs Mr AJK, fiendish but fun!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 31st August 2022, 8:11 AM

Yes, perhaps I should mention I've made it hard. Matron.

Just remembered that one of my pending quizzes has a Carry On question in it, and (phew) it's not one of yours, Alf. ?

And, mine is obtainable, not one you'd need to be a Carry On nerd to answer. ?