British Comedy Quiz Page 13

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st August 2022, 10:39 AM

Goodnight Sweetheart and Vicar of Dibley were both red herrings as they started after 1992 and I discluded Blackadder because it was still being shown a lot on the Beeb. BTW was this your original question order or did Mark tweak them?

Ha! No. Didn't notice until you were talking about a different No. 13 to my original list, which was a tad confusing. ? The whole order has been changed.

Just coming back to your...........

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st August 2022, 9:28 AM

I like these guest quizzes, they give a different flavour from each compiler which reveals their taste in comedy.

............Mark is not keen in cluttering the quiz up with too many it seems, as I've only just told him I was working on a Peter Sellers one, and he said it "may not be universally well known enough", at which I was a bit gob-smacked Hey Ho. And that he had enough themed quizzes at present,

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st August 2022, 11:19 AM

I've only just told him I was working on a Peter Sellers one, and he said it "may not be universally well known enough", at which I was a bit gob-smacked Hey Ho. And that he had enough themed quizzes at present,

I've long considered myself a comedy nerd but could tell you hardly anything about Peter Sellers other than he died when I was very young. I couldn't even name a TV show he's been on, or indeed recognise him in a photograph.

Quote: Niki Walton @ 21st August 2022, 8:18 PM

I've long considered myself a comedy nerd but could tell you hardly anything about Peter Sellers other than he died when I was very young. I couldn't even name a TV show he's been on, or indeed recognise him in a photograph.

OMG. One of the greatest British comedy actors. You should seek him out. Not much on TV (plenty on radio, such as The Goon Show, which I listen to constantly), but many, many films, such as Dr Strangelove, Pink Panther films, The Ladykillers, I'm Alright Jack etc. etc.. BUT he made a number of turkeys too - I suspect for the money.
But I think the quiz should cover all periods. There have been a number of questions set by others and Mark from more recent times, and I have no idea who they are talking about.

I couldn't think of any TV but a quick look at IMDB showed a few from the fifties.
I didn't remember any or recall them being repeated later.
One of the comedy greats,no doubt about it.He could be serious too. Never let go. Is worth a watch.

Quote: MrApollo @ 22nd August 2022, 2:44 AM

One of the comedy greats,no doubt about it.He could be serious too. Never let go. Is worth a watch.

Yes! I reviewed this four years ago, and you are right, as Sellers was superb in this, showing he could play nasty parts too.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/search/?q=Never+Let+Go+%281960%29&mode=posts

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st August 2022, 11:53 PM

Not much on TV (plenty on radio, such as The Goon Show, which I listen to constantly), but many, many films, such as Dr Strangelove, Pink Panther films, The Ladykillers, I'm Alright Jack etc. etc..

I think this is the crux of the issue - the repetitiveness of TV, new episodes of a series week after week plants names and faces in your mind whether you tune in or not (or whether your parents did). Compare with Tony Hancock, who was from the same generation as Sellers but did plenty on TV.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st August 2022, 11:53 PM

But I think the quiz should cover all periods. There have been a number of questions set by others and Mark from more recent times, and I have no idea who they are talking about.

Must admit my knowledge is quite chequered the further into the 21st century the comedy comes from. I've started to seek stuff out, make more of an effort to stop and watch new stuff to avoid becoming a grumpy middle-aged woman who insists it was all much better/funnier/ruder/cleaner in my day. So I try to reflect this in my quiz questions.

My knowledge of comedy covers The Young Ones, Rik Mayall 1982 to 1984, the scriptwriting team Elton-Mayer-Mayall, and The Young Ones.

Just did this week's quiz (217), a round from Niki.. And I did a bit better than usual!

I got 8/15 (6/10 and 2/5).
My correct answers were: 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 11, 14.

That sitcom version of the Lenny Henry show was one of my favourites as a kid in the 80s! One of the programmes I'd have a phase of taping and rewatching multiple times.
And Blackadder II of course. Great question about the little goblin song!

6/10.
No2 Had me a bit nonplussed.I was sure of the answer but he wasn't even listed.:)

8/10 & 3/5
Wrong: 4, 6, 14 & 15

5 and 2 - some of them were bloody hard! AND one of them is one I've already submitted. ?

1 2 3 7 & 8
11 & 13

Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed this one :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th August 2022, 12:10 PM

AND one of them is one I've already submitted. ?

Sorry Herc! Didn't get that in my feedback so I'm assuming it wasn't pencilled in for next week? Maybe great minds think alike :D

With the amount I've put in and whatever you and say Alf has, there's going to be duplication, but I think Mark is relying on people forgetting any previous questions, as he has said before when I sent him the 15th one (now working on number 22) he said it was doubtful if it saw the light of day until this time next year.

Just checked - my duplicate question (slightly different, on same subject) is in my Quiz 17, so unless you all drop by the wayside, ? that won't be used until Autumn/Winter next year.