The Sitcom Mission 2015 Page 6

Interesting article. By the way, when are the Bronze feedback notes being emailed?

Cheers.

Alan

Looking forward to seeing the other list!

When will you be releasing it? Thanks!

Quote: ComedyTonight @ 14th August 2015, 4:02 PM BST

When will you be releasing it? Thanks!

Soon! We're concentrating on getting the feedback out to the top 8 and Bronze entries first. Hopefully at the weekend.

...and here it is.

The other12 scripts that make up our top 20 are (in no particular order):

A Cloud Got In The Way
They walk among us
Crazy World
Arthouse
Lab X
Coconut
Date Night
Learning to Adult
Lambeth Magic
Earth to Sarah
Foundations
Plungie

If you didn't make the list, it doesn't mean you can't write. It's all subjective. Look how Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranda and Vicious divide opinion.

Very pleased to have made the Top 20, and thank you for the very useful feedback!

Gutted

Um...any chance of telling us the top 145?

I had one called 'Date Night,' but I'm not sure if I ended up calling it that. Who was the 'Date Night' from?

Quote: simon wright @ 14th August 2015, 7:51 PM BST

If you didn't make the list, it doesn't mean you can't write. It's all subjective. Look how Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranda and Vicious divide opinion.

Either the top 20 (and top 8 especially) are tummy-achingly hilarious or we are frankly shit! (Could be both, I suppose)

I would love to try to improve and maybe take a course or two but have got neither the spare cash nor the spare life!

Reality check suggests time to give up methinks.

Really keen to see the wining video plus read a few of the top scripts, from a masochistic point of view.

And Spurs threw away a two goal load!

Don't be so defeatist. I didn't come in the top 20 either, I've had lots of positive feedback and constructive criticism on the work I've submitted from peer reviews and feedback service as well as glowing emails from both Simon and Declan about a parody script I did for the Sitcom Mission a few years ago (though they may have been biased as they were the star characters).

Obviously my script wasn't right for this competition but it doesn't make me a terrible writer and the fact that you believed in yourself enough to take the time to write and edit a fifteen minute sitcom and believed in that enough to pay at least £10 to submit it means you've probably got enough talent and self-confidence to keep plugging away at it.

Because, I dare say, if you want to be a comedy writer then that's exactly what you'll have to do. If it was easy then everyone really would be doing it. I'm sure there are plenty of boring anecdotes about successful sitcoms being rejected by production companies who then went on to eat humble pie etc.

Great competition and extremely useful feedback. Thanks for the opportunity to submit our script.

Quote: sean knight @ 15th August 2015, 7:34 PM BST

... and the fact that you believed in yourself enough to take the time to write and edit a fifteen minute sitcom and believed in that enough to pay at least £10 to submit it means you've probably got enough talent and self-confidence to keep plugging away at it.

Because, I dare say, if you want to be a comedy writer then that's exactly what you'll have to do. If it was easy then everyone really would be doing it. I'm sure there are plenty of boring anecdotes about successful sitcoms being rejected by production companies who then went on to eat humble pie etc.

Brilliantly put.

Cheers Sean.

Sorry All!

Didn't mean to come across as a 'moaning Minnie' and in anyway detract from what is such an exciting stage for the last 8.

I have no doubt that the top 20 are fully deserving to be such and I sincerely hope the eventual winner goes on to have a successful writing/comedy career.

I just felt that if what I/We wrote wasn't up to the required standard then maybe it's time to rethink my direction.

Years ago we submitted sketches to a prod co. who said they liked them but were not in that market at the time but did we have a sitcom. No we didn't so one of us foolishly (and inexplicably!) sent some more sketches; so that was the end of that.

If I was 20-30 years younger then I wouldn't have any problem with continuing, putting in more hours and putting my/our self out there.

We'll put our thinking caps on and sum up what's best (for all).

Apologies again.

All the best.

The names of the writers of the 12 commended scripts are:

Seb Rent/ A Cloud Got in the Way

Jeanette Bird-Bradley and Oliver Allchin/ Arthouse

David Baldwin/ Crazy World

Harri Dhillon/ Coconut

Aoife Keane/ Date Night

Zehra Anushae Fecto/ Earth to Sarah

Melissa Wallis/ Foundations

Lee Pedzisz/ Lab X

Rich Heap/ Lambeth Magic