The Sitcom Mission 2015 Page 4

Quote: simon wright @ 28th June 2015, 9:41 AM BST

We recently critiqued a script by two German writers. Guess how many spelling mistakes they made writing in a second language? None. Not one.

Mind you, they probably cheated by running a spellcheck or something.

Come on now - English as spoken and written by the Germans (or the Scandinavians or the Dutch) is an unreasonably high bar to impose on us native speakers.

We're delighted to announce that Saskia Schuster, Head of Comedy at ITV, Ben Boyer, Commissioning Editor at Sky Comedy and Joe McVey, Head of Development at Comedy Central, will be on the judging panel at the showcase in October.

No pressure.

Hi,

Sorry to ask, I have checked, to where do we send our re-submissions?

Thanks.

Quote: garyd @ 29th June 2015, 8:49 PM BST

Hi,

Sorry to ask, I have checked, to where do we send our re-submissions?

Thanks.

Easiest thing is to email it to info@sitcommission.com but you can also re-upload it onto the website.

Quote: Declan @ 29th June 2015, 9:02 PM BST

Easiest thing is to email it to info@sitcommission.com but you can also re-upload it onto the website.

Thanks, Declan.

It's in!

Good luck All.

I've gone against the grain this year and actually submitted a full script instead of taking the piss out of the competition.
See how grown up I am.

And my script is also in, with a full half hour to spare.

I'd like to point out that my broadband service at home died earlier. Entirely defunct. For the first time in three years. Right before I was going to do the final checks and submit my script.

I thought I saw a suspicious gent who bore a striking resemblance to Declan hanging around the telephone exchange box with a handful of assorted wiring, but before I could approach him he slunk away into the summer night.

Well nice try Declan and Simon, but you'll have to read more of my witterings again this year, for I have driven in to work to submit my script! That's dedication for you.

entered with time to spare. now to check if Greece still exists.

Must check my maths, but I make that 52 entries on the final day. Congrats to all those who entered. Finishing a script is a real achievement. Go drink alcohol. I'm going to.

Is 'My wi-fi is down' the new 'The dog ate my homework'?

Got mine in with a few hours to spare despite "suffering" 42 degree heat whilst on holiday in France. And being a bit drunk. See above reference to holiday...

Quote: simon wright @ 1st July 2015, 12:04 AM BST

Must check my maths, but I make that 52 entries on the final day. Congrats to all those who entered. Finishing a script is a real achievement. Go drink alcohol. I'm going to.

Is 'My wi-fi is down' the new 'The dog ate my homework'?

I like to mix it up and claim the dog ate the Wi-Fi.

When do we find out if I've wasted a tenner? There doesn't seem to be much info regarding that now that the competition has closed.

Quote: sean knight @ 2nd July 2015, 8:48 PM BST

I like to mix it up and claim the dog ate the Wi-Fi.

When do we find out if I've wasted a tenner? There doesn't seem to be much info regarding that now that the competition has closed.

Give us a break, we've got to read everything first!

What happens next is that Dec and I will read all the scripts. We'll rate them independently, discuss their relative merits etc and arrive at a shortlist of 6 that we'll put before a preview audience. Sometimes scripts that work on the page don't work on the stage, and the reverse is also true; a so-so script can blossom with an audience. From those 6 we'll cull 2 and put the best 4 in front of the commissioners, literary agents and production companies at our industry show.

We'll announce our shortlist of 6 here as well as a long list of 20 scripts that caught our eye.

We've written a blog about likeability, but before you click on it (and please do, we look stupid if nobody reads these things) why not let us know which sitcom characters you'd invite to a dinner party?

And which ones you wouldn't dream of inviting...

Here's that link: https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/

So how many scripts did you get in total?

Quote: Penge @ 21st July 2015, 9:59 PM BST

So how many scripts did you get in total?

About 160.

You must be unbelievably busy reading 160 scripts before Friday! I would love to see the variety of scripts you have received, it must be interesting!

Can't wait to see the long list!

Best of luck!