The Sitcom Mission 2015 Page 3

If you're thinking of entering this year's Sitcom Mission competition, have a look at our blog page first where you'll find some incredibly useful advice from industry insiders that will help you craft a better script.

We've just had a query about sending scripts to the Sitcom Mission that may affect you, too.

Just to be absolutely clear:

We're looking for self-contained, 15 minute episodes. That is episodes that have a beginning, middle and (ideally) satisfying end. What we don't want is the first half of a 30 minute episode.

Our actors will be seated and reading their scripts There will be a narrator to describe any action and read any scene headings.

If you have any questions at all either post here, see our Entry info page or email us directly at info@sitcommission.com.

Simon and Declan

Hiya,

I am wondering how long it takes to get feedback if you have done the silver entry?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Quote: ComedyTonight @ 17th June 2015, 2:08 PM BST

Hiya,

I am wondering how long it takes to get feedback if you have done the silver entry?

Thanks a lot!!!!

We guarantee to get your feedback to you within two weeks (hopefully sooner), which is why the cut-off point was June 14.

Hope that helps!

A frequently asked question at this stage of the competition is: 'Are you strict about the 15 pages rule?'

The answer is 'no', but we're really tough on scripts that last longer than 15 minutes. It's the only way to guarantee a level playing field for all our writers.

How do you know how long your script runs? Read it aloud. Preferably with friends. Time it. Ask for their (honest) feedback.

The one-page-of-script-equals-one-minute 'rule' is a rule of thumb. In other words it's not terribly accurate. As Dan O'Bannon points out in his Guide to Screenplay Structure the film of Castaway runs to 143 minutes. The script is 92 pages.

We don't know what font you're using, how you've laid your script out etc, so we can't tell you in advance whether 15 pages is suitable or not.

Another advantage of reading aloud with friends is that you'll find out which speeches are redundant, which characters are underdeveloped, which lines are difficult to say, which jokes don't land etc, etc. And you can discover all this for the price of a bottle of wine and some pizza. It's worth it.

Quote: Declan @ 17th June 2015, 8:26 PM BST

We guarantee to get your feedback to you within two weeks (hopefully sooner), which is why the cut-off point was June 14.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your reply!

Quote: simon wright @ 18th June 2015, 12:39 PM BST

Another advantage of reading aloud with friends is that you'll find out which speeches are redundant, which characters are underdeveloped, which lines are difficult to say, which jokes don't land etc, etc. And you can discover all this for the price of a bottle of wine and some pizza. It's worth it.

What are these 'friends' you write of? Eh?

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 19th June 2015, 9:39 AM BST

What are these 'friends' you write of? Eh?

You know those nice people in the park with the track suits and the industrial-strength cider?

Hey would you like the sitcom as a word document or a pdf?

Quote: An incurable romantic @ 23rd June 2015, 10:50 AM BST

Hey would you like the sitcom as a word document or a pdf?

Word is fine but PDF is better.

Out of interest, do you get the majority of entries on deadline day or do entries trickle in?

Quote: Penge @ 27th June 2015, 9:10 PM BST

Out of interest, do you get the majority of entries on deadline day or do entries trickle in?

Hi Penge

It's about half and half, so we're expecting/hoping to double our current total after the weekend.

We recently critiqued a script by two German writers. Guess how many spelling mistakes they made writing in a second language? None. Not one.

Mind you, they probably cheated by running a spellcheck or something.

When I'm a multi billionaire writer married to Taylor Swift with a huge mansion in Hollywood, you're not going to keep bothering me with reminders that you gave me my break are you?

Although the fact that I only found out about this competition and started writing my script 10 days before the closing date might mean I'm an outside bet.

Quote: Tiggy @ 28th June 2015, 10:31 AM BST

When I'm a multi billionaire writer married to Taylor Swift with a huge mansion in Hollywood, you're not going to keep bothering me with reminders that you gave me my break are you?

Although the fact that I only found out about this competition and started writing my script 10 days before the closing date might mean I'm an outside bet.

It's a level playing field, so have loads of fun in the next 48 hours.

And Tiggy, if you run a spellcheck, we'll love you forever.