Only Connect Page 66

Have I recounted my Victoria story? I introduced myself to her at a party, saying we were next door neighbours, as we shared a page in The Observer. We were chatting away, when I started to feel uncomfortable. I turned, and there was David Mitchell, glaring furiously at me. I made my excuses and left...sorry if I've already told this.

Nice.
I spoke to her too albeit through Twitter (sorry X now)
I told her I had a friend who was a question setter on Only Connect
She replied she was glad the question setters had friends.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th August 2023, 1:03 PM

I found her infatuation with Michael Portillo's penis so cringeworthy I stopped watching it. Thank god she's got over that.

Has she? I got fed up with it too and fast forward her smug bits at the end of the show - I think they are written for her, but what she doesn't realise is that she is not funny and cannot deliver a comedy quip, which is half the problem.

Quote: beaky @ 27th August 2023, 1:26 PM

Have I recounted my Victoria story? I introduced myself to her at a party, saying we were next door neighbours, as we shared a page in The Observer. We were chatting away, when I started to feel uncomfortable. I turned, and there was David Mitchell, glaring furiously at me. I made my excuses and left...sorry if I've already told this.

Very interesting, and Mitchell's infatuation with her comes over very clearly in his book, which I read about a year ago - if there ever was someone thinking they are punching above their weight, it is him.

I honestly think she knows she's not funny in those bits, and gets a perverse pleasure out of torturing us with the awkwardness. So I don't really mind them.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 27th August 2023, 1:32 PM

Who is that then? 😁

Quote: Feeoree @ 27th August 2023, 10:28 AM

Might be sorta hard to come up with... Four Horsemen Of the Apocalypse?

Death (many songs, take your pick!)
War (same - War Pigs by Black Sabbath is my pick, ha)
Famine - Sinead O'Connor
Conquest - White Stripes

EDIT: Meant to be a reply to Herc!

Your suggestion is in the mix, thank you! And for Death I have chosen one of my favourite classical pieces - Peer Gynt's "Death of Ase" - such a beautiful piece of music, and one I have on my own funeral music list (how cheery on a Bank Holiday) 😁

Also, they like it if you mix classical and pop for the Music Connection

So Alf, where's all these Music Sequences you were going to post me? 😊

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 27th August 2023, 1:32 PM

Nice.
I spoke to her too albeit through Twitter (sorry X now)

I think she just proved she can be funny. I agree with the idea she's actually trying to sound nerdy and awkward on OC, I think it's an image she's happy with. After all who would marry a fat bearded P G Wodeouse character if she wanted to be cool?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th August 2023, 9:01 AM

Your suggestion is in the mix, thank you! And for Death I have chosen one of my favourite classical pieces - Peer Gynt's "Death of Ase" - such a beautiful piece of music, and one I have on my own funeral music list (how cheery on a Bank Holiday) 😁

Also, they like it if you mix classical and pop for the Music Connection

So Alf, where's all these Music Sequences you were going to post me? 😊

Working on it, and yes already there with the classical and pop/rock mix. If I come up with any I deem good enough I'll let you know.

She's obviously trying to replicate the introductions/closing remarks from the heyday of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

(eg denigratory comments, then "let's meet the teams"...)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th August 2023, 9:31 AM

I

Working on it, and yes already there with the classical and pop/rock mix. If I come up with any I deem good enough I'll let you know.

Thanks Alf, and looking forward to them - please remember though, I'm pitching the whole shebang in about 10 days πŸ™‚

Hmm, sequences are hard aren't they? Don't have a lot of hope so far but we'll see when I get a spare 48 hours or so if I can get into a groove on it. At least you've got Feeorie's to send.

Yes, ain't they just😁, and that's the reason they are always short of them, and Feeoree's wasn't a sequence, though most welcome and will be pitched as a Connection only.

And that's why, sometimes if they have one in the quiz, Victoria will say something like, in the Sequence Round ".....and now a rarity - a Music Sequence"

I thought tonight's question including the clue "Leslie Phillips' catchphrase" might have been one of Herc's. Didn't see his name when the credits rolled though.

Not me guv, and don't expect my name there every week 😁 as I'm one of many supplying questions over a very long series. It was unusual for me to have two in the early stages, as happened this year.

Last minute plea! If anyone has any music connections and especially musical sequences they want to offer up, please let me have them now as I will be pitching my questions for the next series No. 20 on this Wednesday. Thank you. πŸ™‚

Did I see Stephen Goodlad in the list of question setters? Might be old news but I don't usually wait for the credits to roll.

I sit through the closing monologue because it means Viccy's on screen a bit longer, but tonight's was especially bizarre I thought.

Quote: fasty @ 5th September 2023, 4:36 AM

Did I see Stephen Goodlad in the list of question setters? Might be old news but I don't usually wait for the credits to roll.

I sit through the closing monologue because it means Viccy's on screen a bit longer, but tonight's was especially bizarre I thought.

No, and you're weird πŸ˜‰