Only Connect Page 64

Quote: fasty @ 27th July 2023, 6:33 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/games/wordle/index.html

Thanks - but as they can't spel proply is there an English vershun?

They had one of my questions on this week and one on the first episode of this current series, and now I've had an email to say they are ready for question pitches for Series 20, which will be broadcast next year.

So, I must be doing something right quiz-wise......................

Nice! Which ones were yours?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th August 2023, 9:19 AM

They had one of my questions on this week and one on the first episode of this current series, and now I've had an email to say they are ready for question pitches for Series 20, which will be broadcast next year.

So, I must be doing something right quiz-wise......................

Go on then. What was it? I've given up watching because it's too smartarse for me.

Stop teasing us, Herc. I love Only connect, and admire you for being brainy and devious enough to write questions for them.

It's good to see the series back
I force everyone else in the household to watch it as it's only half an hour a week.

Quote: zooo @ 16th August 2023, 10:01 AM

Nice! Which ones were yours?

Apologies for delay (I wasn't teasing, Beaky 🙂) I have a sick wife who has been discharged from hospital too early AND come back in a worse state than she went in, so my life is a train wreck at the moment through lack of sleep.

Anyway, on to your queries.................

Thank you zooo, but it must be an age thing - one was Episode 3 (Not 1, as I thought!!) and it was the Picture Connection Lettuce types.
The other one (used so far) was this week's Episode 5 Missing Vowels "Fish Food"; BUT sadly, they put mine on last and only had time for two, being FISH FINGER SANDWICH and CLAM CHOWDER, which I was a bit pissed off about as they'd changed the order I wanted them shown.

The two they missed off were STR GZYP and SSH (both should be quite easy)

2nd one I got straight away
1st one hmmm.

Wow! I liked both those questions!
I have no effing clue on the first one either. No doubt I'll be kicking myself when someone gets it. Annoying that it was on last, I always want the missing vowels round to last way longer.

Hope your wife feels better soon.

So sorry about your home life being so difficult at present, Herc. A big virtual hug.

Best wishes to Mrs Herc.

Got the first one easy, no clue on SSH?

Thank you zooo, beaky and fasty for your good wishes re my wife - I'm hoping full recovery is soon. 🤔

Well I never! Fasty has got the first one, which I think is the hardest and cannot get the second, which I think is the easiest..................

Clues, and I'll give you all today to think about it - no Google, though! 😊

STR GZYP is a traditional Cornish dish
and SSH is Japanese - come on fasty!! You know this! 😁

Star Gazey Pie with little sardines sticking out looking upwards.

And best wishes to Mrs Herc, obviously made of tough stuff, putting up with you all these years. 🙂

Thank you for your best wishes Alf, and congrats on identifying the missing Owls question

Here's a pic. I was amused by this dish, when I first heard of it some years ago, but always felt there is something decidedly weird about it.................but then when you think of Cornwall you think of "things" lurking on the marshes.

Do you eat the fish whole, I wonder - heads and all?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th August 2023, 9:14 AM

SSH is Japanese - come on fasty!! You know this! 😁

Got it as I was scrolling down, before I got to your clue. Honest :)

First one - Mrs Fasty's family are all down pasty-land so I guess I learned it via osmosis, don't think I've ever tried it.

So something else I'll never need clogging up a few kilobites of my memory, while names, birthdays etc. just self-delete. The times I've been accosted in town and had a 10 minute chat with someone who I eventually worked out I used to work alongside :(