Only Connect Page 65

I've never heard of that in my life!

Probably best not to have done. Not something I'll ever be trying anyway.

And it should be written as two words not three as I did.

Quote: fasty @ 20th August 2023, 3:38 PM

Got it as I was scrolling down, before I got to your clue. Honest :)

First one - Mrs Fasty's family are all down pasty-land so I guess I learned it via osmosis, don't think I've ever tried it.
(

Should've started the Fasty Pasty Co.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th August 2023, 10:37 AM

Here's a pic. I was amused by this dish, when I first heard of it some years ago, but always felt there is something decidedly weird about it.................but then when you think of Cornwall you think of "things" lurking on the marshes.

Do you eat the fish whole, I wonder - heads and all?

They probably did in the old days when times were harder. I've seen prettier pics of it with lots of tiny little sprats or whitebait sticking out. But it was still weird looking as you say.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th August 2023, 6:52 PM

Should've started the Fasty Pasty Co.

:)

Bizarrely her name was Patsy

So Patsy Fasty Pasty Pies PLC? :)

Quote: zooo @ 20th August 2023, 4:10 PM

I've never heard of that in my life!

😁

You learn a lot on The BCG

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th August 2023, 6:52 PM

I've seen prettier pics of it with lots of tiny little sprats or whitebait sticking out.

Nice............I'll sea if I can one find with a garland of pink seaweed (pun intended)

Quote: fasty @ 20th August 2023, 7:45 PM

:)

Bizarrely her name was Patsy

So Patsy Fasty Pasty Pies PLC? :)

:-D Get it registered.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th August 2023, 9:39 AM

BUT sadly, they put mine on last and only had time for two, being FISH FINGER SANDWICH and CLAM CHOWDER, which I was a bit pissed off about as they'd changed the order I wanted them shown.

The two they missed off were STR GZYP and SSH (both should be quite easy)

Yes I think the above two should've gone first as they seem harder, as no one's still got SSH. Has it got Sushi in it? Were the two they showed correctly answered btw?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 19th August 2023, 9:53 AM

2nd one I got straight away
1st one hmmm.

Oh sorry Mr Goodlad got it. Any clues Stephen?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st August 2023, 10:33 AM

Yes I think the above two should've gone first as they seem harder, as no one's still got SSH. Has it got Sushi in it? Were the two they showed correctly answered btw?**
Any clues Stephen?

I'd already given a clue...................Come on Alf, keep up. 😎

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th August 2023, 9:14 AM

STR GZYP is a traditional Cornish dish
and SSH is Japanese - come on fasty!! You know this! 😁

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st August 2023, 10:33 AM

Yes I think the above two should've gone first as they seem harder,

And you are correct, and that is why I was not happy again πŸ˜† with them changing the order (just what is it with Question Editors!!), as the sort of rule is the first one is hard, the second bloody hard, the third a hint and the fourth easy.

** Yes, the first two were answered correctly

I guessed Star Gazy Pie which I'd heard of but never seen. You have to realise zooo that Herc is a LOT older than you.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st August 2023, 3:29 PM

I guessed Star Gazy Pie which I'd heard of but never seen. You have to realise zooo that Herc is a LOT older than you.

Thanks Grandad

I've never heard of it.

I've heard of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie.

An appeal to budding music question setters out there!

I will be pitching to the OC editors in the next ten days, with what I have accumulated over the last year for the next series No. 20 to be broadcast next year, and every year the one thing they appeal for, and which is the hardest to come up with! is music sequences.

So, if you can think of any (or even one!) it would be most welcome and I promise to give you full credit for it if it is accepted by their edit team, and then next year you can watch your question come up on the programme and say "I wrote that!"

So, (again!) I need a sequence of 4 pieces of music. They don't have to be connected in any way, as long as there is a link between them.

For example :- "The Who - Happy Jack" "Redbone - Witch Queen of New Orleans" "Roger Miller - King Of The Road" "MotΓΆrhead - Ace Of Spades"

What was that long, tedious and unfunny monologue from Victoria the other day? Then she says at the end that they've run out of time - well if you'd shut up earlier we could have got another question in!

Might be sorta hard to come up with... Four Horsemen Of the Apocalypse?

Death (many songs, take your pick!)
War (same - War Pigs by Black Sabbath is my pick, ha)
Famine - Sinead O'Connor
Conquest - White Stripes

EDIT: Meant to be a reply to Herc!

Yes that's a good one Steve. I take it you can send them more than one offering Herc or are you going to choose one and send it?

Quote: Feeoree @ 27th August 2023, 10:28 AM

Might be sorta hard to come up with... Four Horsemen Of the Apocalypse?

Death (many songs, take your pick!)
War (same - War Pigs by Black Sabbath is my pick, ha)
Famine - Sinead O'Connor
Conquest - White Stripes

EDIT: Meant to be a reply to Herc!

Thank you Feeoree - I'll use that as a music connection, but sadly it is not a sequence, for example, if Death appeared first then the other three in that order, it would be sequence, of course, so all is not lost! And I'll make a note that your gave me that one on my spreadsheet.

"Might be sorta hard to come up with" is an understatement! But, keeping thinking - if you're anything like me, an idea will pop up in your head when you least expect it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th August 2023, 10:49 AM

Yes that's a good one Steve. I take it you can send them more than one offering Herc or are you going to choose one and send it?

Now, here's a man sounding confident who and is going to rattle few off for me! 😁

IF, they are not on the OC database as having been used before (or similar) then I won't be judging what to send up - the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I reckon, roughly, for every ten I send up, they will select about 2, and then they might not make the final cut - it's a soul destroying process, especially when you think you have a gem that is bound to be accepted, and they shoot it down in flames. πŸ˜”

So with your clear enthusiasm, I'm looking forward to your suggestions! 😊

Quote: beaky @ 27th August 2023, 10:28 AM

What was that long, tedious and unfunny monologue from Victoria the other day? Then she says at the end that they've run out of time - well if you'd shut up earlier we could have got another question in!

I can see why they have one every week, it's the way TV works, have a signature hook or ending to it that regular viewers identify with, but they are more miss and miss than hit and miss. I found her infatuation with Michael Portillo's penis so cringeworthy I stopped watching it. Thank god she's got over that.