Only Connect Page 19

Quote: zooo @ 19th November 2016, 10:18 AM

*stern look*

:O Oh my God! Not the stern look, please zooo, anything but that! I've heard about this from other BCGers...............can I have a smack on the botty instead?..............Please? :P

Of course! But Aaron hands those out.

Quote: zooo @ 19th November 2016, 12:13 PM

Of course! But Aaron hands those out.

:( Not the same as when a lady does it. :P

Had email from this new editor wanting me to rehash some questions I pitched for Series 11 (the one before the one airing now), which was nice as that hasn't happened before and made it feel (very slightly!) that I'd arrived. Will never be in demand like the senior question setters or those that have been supplying questions since the first series, but small feather in my cap and a warm glow. :)

Congrats!

Which kind of rounds do you write questions for? Or is it a mix.

Thank you zooo :)

Normally the first two, but for this 13th series had a go at Missing Vowels and had some (plus these recent "requested" ones) accepted.

Never had any Walls accepted and they seem to have Walls experts/regulars, which they are welcome to really as they are so much more work. When you think about it, you have to reference everything twice with reliable sources (NO Wikipedia!) and with Walls that's four times the work over the other rounds as you have 16 clues to do and throw red herrings in the mix. A lot of bloody work and brain pain.!

Erk. Yes, the walls look like a lot of work.
I love the missing vowels ones!

One of the ones I was asked to rehash, which I have just sent them is a cracker Missing Vowels - if anyone will gets the last three (should start with an "easy" one) I will be amazed.

Even I don't fully understand it. ;)CoolLaughing out loud

Missing owls is always the easiest round. I've made a bunch of Connecting Walls, but none has been used. Will have to start submitting them. No doubt I can rely on Hercule to put in a good word for me.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th March 2017, 12:16 PM

One of the ones I was asked to rehash, which I have just sent them is a cracker Missing Vowels - if anyone will gets the last three (should start with an "easy" one) I will be amazed.

Even I don't fully understand it. ;)CoolLaughing out loud

It's easy to write questions no-one can get. Are you seriously telling me that the production team of Only Connect are using some of your puzzles?

How come you don't understand my meta posts in the fantasy football thread then? I thought you were simple.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 10th March 2017, 11:26 PM

It's easy to write questions no-one can get. Are you seriously telling me that the production team of Only Connect are using some of your puzzles?

How come you don't understand my meta posts in the fantasy football thread then? I thought you were simple.

Yes, and they have been for a few years now. It is not easy setting them.

Because you are the only one that understands your stupid posts, and you are the simpleton here in posting such childish remarks. Grow up!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th March 2017, 11:48 PM

Yes, and they have been for a few years now. It is not easy setting them.

Because you are the only one that understands your stupid posts, and you are the simpleton here in posting such childish remarks. Grow up!

I'm interested in getting to the bottom of this. I watch Only Connect. It's not particularly highbrow and its questions are not culture-free, but if you set questions for the show - unless they are the missing vowels ones at the end - you should be able to understand that much of what I write is satirical/metatexual or both. Example:

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 4th January 2017, 7:27 PM

In contrast, my posts are best understood as meaning the opposite of what they literally say. So if I call you a c**t, who needs to be dissolved in acid, I actually probably like you. Sometimes I'll call you a c**t and I do mean it, because although I'm still saying the opposite of what I mean - I've not changed that - I'm parodying the notion of fixed character traits.

So rather than me being the only one who understands my posts, I would suggest you are the only person who doesn't seem to understand them. Perhaps Zoo or Kenneth can comment. When I said I thought you were a simpleton I was being genuine - not just tossing an insult. And by the way I'd like you to stop insulting me all the time. 'C**t', 'wanker', 'tosser,' 'talking out of my arse'. etc.. You're not even doing it with humour, you're just trying to be rude.

Anyway, since you're obviously not an idiot, where is the disconnect? Are you elderly? By that I mean 65+? If you're reasonably intelligent you should find my posts enjoyable.

You're doing it again Godot, being selective in picking past posts and missing the ones where I complimented you such as:-

I like that pants one by the way. :D

As for the rest of your post(s) - I find them very interesting Godot

I do wish you well. No, honestly but I don't think either of us will catch him.

I'm not trawling any further than that as I haven't the time, and yet again you talk of me using such "insults" but freely use them yourself, and IF you care to look at recent posts you will see that I realised you were being upset by "things" I said and I stopped printing them, going more for a mate joshing a mate. But as I say, you seem to have ignored those.

Also, it wouldn't take much to see/read on this site that yes I am over 65, well over - not that it should make any difference.
In fact, if this were an insult competition, you have won hands down Godot. :(

Only Connect

How can two people get the phrase so wrong?

Console

Quote: Kenneth @ 10th March 2017, 12:26 PM

Missing owls is always the easiest round. I've made a bunch of Connecting Walls, but none has been used. Will have to start submitting them. No doubt I can rely on Hercule to put in a good word for me.

I have absolutely no sway with the powers that be at http://www.parasolmedia.co.uk/ who you are welcome to contact, but I know it used to be that they only worked on Only Connect when they were contracted to and at the moment you are too late for Series 13 and far too early for 14, which I presume will start up later in the year, say in the Autumn. Having said that they caught me out a couple of years ago when they decided to do two back to back.

By all means make contact with them now and hope they will keep your details on file. Or, if I remember (!) I will let you know when they contact me for Series 14.

Can offer you no more help than that I am afraid.

You can post your Walls here if you want to see what they look like:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2Z79DzzJY8w2R58bpftq14k/quiz

There are also a number of Walls you can play, which is great fun.