Only Connect Page 18

Yes, I also thought it was a weirdly generic picture clue.

Exactly, it should have been something like say (if a girder could be misinterpreted) a steel that is used for sharpening knives; but coming back to the Steele/Steel clue which was wrong anyway - when you put a clue up it should have two very solid references (one of the recognised dictionaries or say Encyclopaedia Britannica or some very well-known and respected reference work/internet site) - definitely NO Wiki of any sort!!! And these should check out!!!!!!!!!! That's what the f**king verifiers are meant to do AFTER the so called editor has put in his pennyworth!

Now I have my dander up................. Angry

But what you get (and as I have found in the past with comedy writing/script editors) - they are putting in their own work, which of course they prefer, and so what you have is unfair as no one is checking the editor! There are some three dozen people listed as suppliers of questions for OC and of those about ten are "senior question writers", so along with the editor they would of course get preference and from what I have seen have their own set of rules whereby what they put down is accepted as gospel.........................hence the Steele/Steel f**k up.

Richard Osman supplies some questions and I expect his are given preference even though he is not infallible as can be seen by the f**k-ups on Pointless.

Ah, feel better now. :)

And....................relax.

Is this you resigning, Herc?

So was that one of your contributions Herc? You should get your facts right you know!

I am quite close to this discussion because I was a founder member of the SDP (the name given to people on a certificate for paying the first year's subscription) before I departed for the party of my own brain. This was a time ahead of Suede of which Richard Osman's brother is a member and Richard himself would have been only about ten. While Roy Jenkins was arguably the leader of the Gang of Four he was the oldest of them and less recognisable in Spitting Image. I personally anticipated his early decline when insisting that some very left wing friends joined me to hear him in the De Grey Rooms, York. His speech was delivered with snot pouring out of his nostrils and not a hanky was to be seen. Being in a hysterical state, I was bundled out in friendly fashion by my Communist pals before a right wing fascist had the time to intervene.

Elderly readers will recall that in contrast a puppet of David Steel appeared regularly on television in the pocket of a puppet of Dr David Owen. This is the spectacle that Osman who is now an advanced forty-something may have been recalling in a senior moment. As for the alleged closed shop on questions being presented to Only Connect, this sort of thing is nothing new. At around the same time, I had invented a board game involving Princess Anne, Fatima Whitbread, a sofa, mugs and sauce sachets with the motive of combining ridiculous contents and the complexity of chess. That was submitted to Waddingtons who advised in a frosty letter that they only made games designed by their employees. I responded by breaking into a Tory function with Michael Heseltine and heckled loudly. Given the recent confession about how he strangled his mother's poodle, Hercules Gryptite Thynne might wish to consider something along similar lines.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 17th November 2016, 6:01 PM

Is this you resigning, Herc?

Nah.........you know what they say - throw enough shit at a wall and some of it will stick. Out of 40 pitches I have had 6 through to "Producer Review" and four on the back burner, which is not bad when you consider how many contributors there are and I have high hopes of the new more savvy editor. (Although he was previously one of the senior question setters. :( )

Walls and Missing Vowels to come next, although Walls I have found to be a lot of work with little return. >_<

Quote: Chappers @ 17th November 2016, 9:38 PM

So was that one of your contributions Herc? You should get your facts right you know!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th November 2016, 9:46 AM

Nah.........you know what they say - throw enough shit at a wall and some of it will stick. Out of 40 pitches I have had 6 through to "Producer Review" and four on the back burner, which is not bad when you consider how many contributors there are and I have high hopes of the new more savvy editor. (Although he was previously one of the senior question setters. :( )

Walls and Missing Vowels to come next, although Walls I have found to be a lot of work with little return. >_<

Hello Hercules.

I hope you are enjoying the red and golden trees and all of the interesting tractors collecting the leaves.

I haven't heard from you for a while.

Do you still go on to that BCG forum thing? Wave

Quote: A Horseradish @ 18th November 2016, 11:37 AM

Hello Hercules.

I hope you are enjoying the red and golden trees and all of the interesting tractors collecting the leaves.

I haven't heard from you for a while.

Do you still go on to that BCG forum thing? Wave

Horse me old fruit, how the dashed hell are you? Yes, me and nature are both at autumn now but I'm no longer golden as I have given up the spray tan...........bit more like death's door grey presently. Angelic

Haven't seen any DIY probs. of yours lately - all sorted now I trust? Was that Barry Bucknell book I sent you of any use? As I said at the time, miss out the chapter on Formica, especially when it comes to panelled doors.

Well, can't stand here shooting the breeze for too long as I have a coffin to sand down.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th November 2016, 12:00 PM

Horse me old fruit, how the dashed hell are you? Yes, me and nature are both at autumn now but I'm no longer golden as I have given up the spray tan...........bit more like death's door grey presently. Angelic

Haven't seen any DIY probs. of yours lately - all sorted now I trust? Was that Barry Bucknell book I sent you of any use? As I said at the time, miss out the chapter on Formica, especially when it comes to panelled doors.

Well, can't stand here shooting the breeze for too long as I have a coffin to sand down.

The book was helpful.

It was exactly the same size as the hole in the door so that was lucky.

You might be able to help me on lights. I had four bulbs on a cross hanging from my living room ceiling but the electrician took it down as the screw holders had worn and there were a lot of dead bugs in each lantern.

He has stuck a wire down for just one bulb but the room is very dark now. Even the transparent shade from the cats' charity shop leads to shadows across the matt emulsion. What do normal people do normally in this normal situation?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 18th November 2016, 12:36 PM

The book was helpful.

It was exactly the same size as the hole in the door so that was lucky.

You might be able to help me on lights. I had four bulbs on a cross hanging from my living room ceiling but the electrician took it down as the screw holders had worn and there were a lot of dead bugs in each lantern.

He has stuck a wire down for just one bulb but the room is very dark now. Even the transparent shade from the cats' charity shop leads to shadows across the matt emulsion. What do normal people do normally in this normal situation?

Paint the walls in a dayglo yellow gloss and nick a couple of those big altar candles from your church as that will also keep up the religious theme you clearly are looking for in your décor.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th November 2016, 3:21 PM

Paint the walls in a dayglo yellow gloss and nick a couple of those big altar candles from your church as that will also keep up the religious theme you clearly are looking for in your décor.

Thanks.

Is the next one in the sequence "sun god"?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 18th November 2016, 4:38 PM

Thanks.

Is the next one in the sequence "sun god"?

Well done! And for that you get to peek at one of Vicky's tits - would you prefer left or right?

It's so nice that someone can spend their whole career acting with intelligence and class, and then get treated the same as a page 3 model, isn't it...

Quote: zooo @ 19th November 2016, 9:45 AM

It's so nice that someone can spend their whole career acting with intelligence and class, and then get treated the same as a page 3 model, isn't it...

retrieves dirty mac from behind settee

You know me zooo, only in jest, only in jest. I have always been a great admirer of VCM from when I first saw her on Balderdash and Piffle, which sadly ran for such a short time.

That's more like it!
*stern look*