Only Connect Page 20

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th March 2017, 7:31 AM

You're doing it again Godot, being selective in picking past posts and missing the ones where I complimented you such as:-

I like that pants one by the way. :D

As for the rest of your post(s) - I find them very interesting Godot

I do wish you well. No, honestly but I don't think either of us will catch him.

I'm not trawling any further than that as I haven't the time, and yet again you talk of me using such "insults" but freely use them yourself, and IF you care to look at recent posts you will see that I realised you were being upset by "things" I said and I stopped printing them, going more for a mate joshing a mate. But as I say, you seem to have ignored those.

Also, it wouldn't take much to see/read on this site that yes I am over 65, well over - not that it should make any difference.
In fact, if this were an insult competition, you have won hands down Godot. :(

Okay, if you are 'well over 65' it starts to make a bit of sense to me. This is not a slight on age but I think you may not be familiar with the metatextual vein I'm mining. You may find it antithetical to your views if you were, in any case. I certainly haven't called you any of the things you called me. I referred to the clique as 'tossers' but that wasn't to be taken literally, in any case, unlike your gibes to me. I welcome your restraint going forward.

Since I post to entertain (and not just myself) I'll leave it there. Please post some of your first and second round questions (if you feel inclined) as I think we would all be interested (genuinely). I'd be interested to know if I'd got any of them when they were broadcast.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 11th March 2017, 12:50 PM

Okay, if you are 'well over 65' it starts to make a bit of sense to me. This is not a slight on age but I think you may not be familiar with the metatextual vein I'm mining. You may find it antithetical to your views if you were, in any case. I certainly haven't called you any of the things you called me. I referred to the clique as 'tossers' but that wasn't to be taken literally, in any case, unlike your gibes to me. I welcome your restraint going forward.

Since I post to entertain (and not just myself) I'll leave it there. Please post some of your first and second round questions (if you feel inclined) as I think we would all be interested (genuinely). I'd be interested to know if I'd got any of them when they were broadcast.

Thank you Godot and yes let us go forward from hereon. Also with age comes wisdom and I do try and keep up with trends but most times go for the easy life, which (as you will find) comes with the territory.
I was out of order calling you the names I did.

I am only too happy to post some Round 1 & 2 questions that didn't quite make the grade and there are a lot of them!! The previous editor seemed as though he was making the rules up as he went along, which caused some of mine to fall by the wayside. Needless to say some of the connections I have seen on the current series have been in my opinion - dire and against the rules they set up.
But there you go. I shouldn't be surprised I suppose as some comedy editors also seem to live in a world of their own. (Steps down off soap box)

Obviously, I cannot print any from this series (12) or the one we are working on now (13), but give me a few days and I will dig some out.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th March 2017, 11:41 AM

I have absolutely no sway with the powers that be at http://www.parasolmedia.co.uk/ who you are welcome to contact, but I know it used to be that they only worked on Only Connect when they were contracted to and at the moment you are too late for Series 13 and far too early for 14, which I presume will start up later in the year, say in the Autumn. Having said that they caught me out a couple of years ago when they decided to do two back to back.

By all means make contact with them now and hope they will keep your details on file. Or, if I remember (!) I will let you know when they contact me for Series 14.

Can offer you no more help than that I am afraid.

You can post your Walls here if you want to see what they look like:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2Z79DzzJY8w2R58bpftq14k/quiz

There are also a number of Walls you can play, which is great fun.

Cheers. I'll give it a whirl.

I've tried the online version, which is fun, though it could do with an update. And some tweaking, as if you work out all four groups and then start typing in the links and the clock runs down before you click 'submit', you end up with a measly 4 and a "not a very good score" message. Easier on the ears with the audio disabled.

OK, so Godot asked me to post some of my Connections that didn't quite make the cut and here they are.

NOW if I posted all four in each one it would make it too easy and so to make it as close to the actual programme I will post them in sequence (but these are NOT Sequence questions) for the next four days, including today.

I cannot stop you Googling of course, but hopefully that will not be much use here - SO here we have 9 different separate (1 to 9) Connection questions, and these are the first ones the panel would see. (Phew, hope I haven't laboured that too much!)

1 Terry and June
2 Colorado
3 Old Glory
4 127
5 Acoustic Guitar
6 Kaya
7 Janette Tough
8 Elton John
9 Emlyn Hughes

As with the programme, if you get any of the above with these single clues you get 5 points and a gasp from me. :O

9. They are all Question of Sport captains.
(The only thing I know about Emlyn Hughes.)

1. Proposed movies that were never made.
2. Contain American spellings.
3. Flags.
4. Danny Boyle movies (mentioning only first parts of titles)?
6. Words for wealth in various languages (kaya being Indonesian for wealth). Or they are types of boat with the last letter removed.
8. Donald Duck.

Quote: zooo @ 13th March 2017, 11:57 AM

9. They are all Question of Sport captains.
(The only thing I know about Emlyn Hughes.)

Nice try zooo, but it is and would certainly need to be for the programme a lot more obscure than that. :)

Quote: Kenneth @ 13th March 2017, 12:29 PM

1. Proposed movies that were never made.
2. Contain American spellings.
3. Flags.
4. Danny Boyle movies (mentioning only first parts of titles)?
6. Words for wealth in various languages (kaya being Indonesian for wealth). Or they are types of boat with the last letter removed.
8. Donald Duck.

None of the above I am afraid. Donald Duck? Now you have me wondering.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th March 2017, 12:33 PM

Donald Duck? Now you have me wondering.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th March 2017, 12:33 PM

Nice try zooo, but it is and would certainly need to be for the programme a lot more obscure than that. :)

Damn, are we not doing the Heat magazine version? :O

Quote: Kenneth @ 13th March 2017, 12:36 PM

Ahh. I'd forgotten about that. Laughing out loud

Quote: zooo @ 13th March 2017, 12:48 PM

Damn, are we not doing the Heat magazine version? :O

:S

How about this one?

Lightning, Thunder, God of Love, Volkswagen Passat.

Very difficult with the first clue. Might help if I had a team.

1. Eponymously named TV comedies - Roseanne etc.?
2. Something to do with mechanical parts?
3. Slang names for American flag - stars and bars etc.?
8. Singers who've only had a number one duetting with someone else?

Hello to Zoo and Kenneth. It's coming up to 10 years since I first posted on this forum. Amazing! Zoo was a little girl with a satchel when I first joined. Don't know about Kenneth. We've all grown up. Even Simon Amstell, who was once the prettiest fairy in the bushes but now looks like Celia Imrie pretending to be Woody Allen.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 13th March 2017, 3:20 PM

How about this one?

Lightning, Thunder, God of Love, Volkswagen Passat.

What is it - a sequence, four connections?

Four connections.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 13th March 2017, 8:36 PM

Hello to Zoo and Kenneth. It's coming up to 10 years since I first posted on this forum. Amazing! Zoo was a little girl with a satchel when I first joined. Don't know about Kenneth. We've all grown up. Even Simon Amstell, who was once the prettiest fairy in the bushes but now looks like Celia Imrie pretending to be Woody Allen.

That's slander! Simon Amstell is still very pretty.
And I still have a satchel.

Hello! Wave

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 13th March 2017, 8:36 PM

Very difficult with the first clue. Might help if I had a team.

1. Eponymously named TV comedies - Roseanne etc.?

Near enough - Victoria might have said "I need more" but I am impressed enough to give you a GASP! :O

1 Terry and June
Hugh and I
Hancock's Half Hour
Not Going Out*

BBC TV Sitcoms where the two lead characters used their real Christian names.
(*It was when this when this was question was set i.e. Lee and Tim)

Edit Oops, the other three answers.............er, no sorry.