Only Connect Page 23

Quote: Firkin @ 18th March 2017, 12:39 PM

OK I'm staring a bunch of Elton John photos (I blame you for this HGF) and just noticed he mostly hides his teeth and stranger still, his head has become hairier with age. But you're right there is a gap in his teeth. You live and learn.

I see, I get the picture, you're surreptitiously taking me over are yer? ;) So now I am Hercules Grytpype Fynne - then I presume it'll be Hercules Grytpype Firkin.......................I'm wise to your game. :D

Yeah but no but...........he does have the gap as you say, but I don't think he has ever hid it has he? His sexuality in the early days maybe..................... Whistling nnocently

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th March 2017, 9:42 AM

With Connections and Sequences you put the hardest first, easiest last

Indeed. But I sometimes find the "easiest" ones at the start. In a recent episode, the Connections picture sequence started with a Clydesdale horse, followed by an Airedale terrier, a Chippendale (stripper), then some British geezer, whose name incorporated "Dale". The animals were a dead giveaway, but I had no idea who the human at the end was (it wasn't Jim Dale).

Then there was another episode with the picture Connections being: Chrome's Dinosaur jump game (instantly recognizable), then the Google fail robot (also instantly recognizable), then a whale (which was new to me, and prompted the team to guess "Douglas Adams").

Good to see a Carry On question in a very recent episode (where the Henry vacuum cleaner and the Constable painting at the start made it an easy guess, and Khyber Pass at the end made it too easy).

I suppose it depends on how deep and wide your trivia pot is - you clearly have a big one. ;)

Quote: Kenneth @ 19th March 2017, 8:19 AM

Then there was another episode with the picture Connections being: Chrome's Dinosaur jump game (instantly recognizable), then the Google fail robot (also instantly recognizable), then a whale (which was new to me, and prompted the team to guess "Douglas Adams").

I got that one!
It doesn't happen very often.

Any more Herc?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 1st April 2017, 3:37 PM

Any more Herc?

Plenty! Give me a couple of days as I am heavily listing on eBay at the moment.

(was going to change that wording but thought Chappers would like to have a go with one of his hilarious puns)

So the final. Meant to be harder and more fiendish, and did for the Connections and Sequences; BUT they tried to be clever again with the walls in making them numerical, which finished up making them too easy.
Conclusion? The editor who has left and I didn't think did a good job has made my point.

The Missing Vowels was quite fun, especially the "Found on a fish and chip shop menu" as that was where I had been only a couple of hours earlier for my usual Friday supper, so sailed through that. :D

Making the walls numerical made them more difficult for me, but certainly not them! They were the quickest walls I've ever seen.
The Missing Vowels round was easier than usual even for me though.

I loved Victoria drinking all the way through. She should do that every week.

Why don't some of the BCG's sharpest minds band together to form a team for Only Connect?

I propose Griff, JohnnyD and Steve Sunshine.

How much free time is required for shooting? A couple of days to three weeks in Wales, depending on how far the team progresses? I was interested to see one of the guys from The Rugby Boys team from a few years back ended up as Mark Labbett on various versions of The Chase (a show that could be so much better if stopped having idiotic hosts and fatuous banter).

Just found the Series 12 Final on YouTube and pleasantly surprised too see The Verbivores victorious. They didn't always have the greatest general knowledge (in their many appearances) but their captain (and his teammate Tom) could often work out the tougher questions. The booze was a nice touch. Hope it wasn't just a prop.

OK, by popular request and if you are at a loose end on a Bank Holiday Monday, here are 3 Connections and 3 Sequences (you need to name the 4th one) that fell by the wayside for you to ponder. As before, next clue tomorrow etc.

No Googling now!

1 CHURCHILL

2 JOEY

3 FRENCH CONNECTION

4 (Sequence)
BLACK

5 (Sequence)
SINGAPORE

6(Sequence)
SERGEANT

1 insurance companies
2 animals young
3 ladies outfitters.
4?

1. Nobel literature laureates.
2. Sitcoms named after characters.
3. Can't spell f**k properly.
4. Black
5. Thailand
6. Constable (Carry Ons)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 17th April 2017, 12:39 PM

1 insurance companies
2 animals young
3 ladies outfitters.
4?

None of those I am afraid.

Quote: Kenneth @ 17th April 2017, 2:35 PM

1. Nobel literature laureates.
2. Sitcoms named after characters.
3. Can't spell f**k properly.
4. Black
5. Thailand
6. Constable (Carry Ons)

Yes and well done for 6 (ONLY) Kenneth :-

Sergeant
Nurse
Teacher
Constable
The First Four Carry On Films

OH! And forgot to mention that you get 5 points for that!!

:D

1. Members of the Royal Academy?
2. Types of clown. (August? Pierrot?)
3. Not manufactured in the stated country.
4. Brown (Snooker balls in reverse)
5. Philippines (Countries W-E)
6 -