Right, where to begin? Page 6

Quote: Mick Dolan @ September 24, 2007, 10:56 PM

Or what about when David tells the joke about the 'black man's cock.' Jennifer says it's racist and he says, 'it's not racist because it doesn't say anything bad about black people.'

I'm not offended or anything, it just made me think of The Office and what is considered racist.

But who is right, Jennifer or David? Or are they both right/wrong? Is it a matter of opinion? If it is, who's opinion counts most?

I'm not offended either.

Myself, I find some comments to be racist and some to be comments about race.

Quote: ajp29 @ September 25, 2007, 8:26 AM

My friend was eating chips and sausages and rice yesterday but hes a student so its not actually classified as food.

...its not actually classified as relevant! :P

Racism, like ugliness, is in the eye of the beholder unless the beholder is a bit mental. Laughing out loud

Quote: Frankie Rage @ September 25, 2007, 8:36 AM

...its not actually classified as relevant! :P

Yeah missed the whole racist chinese chippygate thing unless you mean students aren't classified as relevant which is a view I agree with. I was talking about the original percetion that there was an actual Chines chippy in cusine terms e.g. spring rolls and chips etc.

No, it was just the punchline I was expecting!

------------------------------------------------

Where I come from a chinese chippy is just a normal chippy run by Chinese people but they do tend to do spring rolls, but most chippies do now I think.

I was observing that they work harder (in particular, longer working hours) than chip shops run by English people used to which I think re-established a lot of the businesses that were previously failing due to competition from the newer fast food outlets and take-away food like Pizza, McDonalds, etc.

Quite comedic really if you can laugh at chip shop theory!

There is science in the theory by the way, it's the science of taking a quick look at something and then making an arbitrary random judgement.

Quote: Dale Griffiths @ September 24, 2007, 9:57 PM

I love quality chinese food but have found that where I am in South East London the Chinese take away places have tended to be pretty bad whereas with Indian food there are several scrumptious establishments to choose from.

Has anyone else found such a weighting of quality Chinese to Indian restaurants.

I have also never come across a Chinese Chippy. Both of our local chippies seem be run by people that I would think are possibly Turkish. What a lovely bunch of fellas they all are.

I don't eat Indian, so can't comment. The chip shop closest to my office is run by guys who I'd guess are some form of 'Mediterranean area' in descent. Turkish. Greek. Something like that.

Quote: David Chapman @ September 24, 2007, 10:15 PM

You don't? There's several my way.

You should ask the servants where they get yours from.

Our chippy is run by Indians. Very friendly they are too. :)

Quote: ajp29 @ September 25, 2007, 8:26 AM

My friend was eating chips and sausages and rice yesterday but hes a student so its not actually classified as food.

Laughing out loud

I remember as a student eating marmite pasta! Cook some pasta shells and drain, mix in a table spoon of marmite so it coats the pasta, cover with cheese and melt just a little under the grill! Sounds vile but was actually lovely!

Dear God... That is awful. I always dined with sophistication and class as a student, and indeed will continue to do so. Pleased

The words "Sophistication" and "Student" don't go.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ September 25, 2007, 8:36 AM

But who is right, Jennifer or David? Or are they both right/wrong? Is it a matter of opinion? If it is, who's opinion counts most?

I'm not offended either.

Myself, I find some comments to be racist and some to be comments about race.

"I could say a big cock and not mention the colour." LMAO Yeah, I tend to lean Jennifer's way considering the two sides.

Being a student is possibly the mot creative time cuisine-wise. I used to make macaroni and cheese bakes... which is pretty much mac and cheese backed in a pan with assorted veggies, topped with salsa.

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at large. @ September 25, 2007, 1:41 PM

The words "Sophistication" and "Student" don't go.

Depends how you choose to spend your money.

You mean your parents money.

Those American students who actually WORK their way through college are the ones I admire... pity they're American though, takes the shine of it a bit! :(

I think instead of lending students the money to go through University they should have longer courses and work as well! Ha! That'd sort some of the good for nothing lazy barstewards out! :)

Speak for yourself. While I hated uni, don't put students all in the same boat. My parents could barely afford to lend me ten pounds let alone pay for me to go uni. I had to work in some very crappy jobs to support myself through uni and lived in a house with damp. I was one year shy of getting the hardship grant as well. So while those in the years below me got an extra £1000 a year, I didn't. You try doing a full time course and busting your gut serving drunks and getting threatened at work until past midnight and then get up early for a tutorial and to work on 4000 word essay all for £6000, including your loan and earnings, a year then come back and tell me that all students are leeches.

PS. We don't get free money. We have to pay the money back and while you don't have to pay it back until you earn more than £15000 a year, it builds a lot of interest the longer you don't.

But I agree the ones that live off Mummy and Daddy do need a slap. :D

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at large. @ September 25, 2007, 3:43 PM

You mean your parents money.

Parents, job, personal savings. Doesn't matter where it's from; still depends on how you spend it. :)

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at large. @ September 25, 2007, 4:33 PM

But I agree the ones that live off Mummy and Daddy do need a slap. :D

Jealousy? Bitterness? Anyone? :)

Laughing out loud

You go off and pick up call girls in the BMW and I'll go and plant some more turnips. ;)

BMW? Why would I drive such nonsense?!