Right, where to begin?

Well, upon popular demand (well, one mod, but hey, that's good enough), I've made myself an obligatory introductory thread.

My hobbies: ping-pong, sun-bathe, a deesco dance . . .

Actually, I just love comedy, particularly Britcoms. Favourites? Where to begin? I like a lot of stuff for many different reasons. I love the wit and charm of 'Jeeves and Wooster', the outlandishness and timeless nature of '"Are Your Being Served?"', the coolness of 'Spaced', the amazingness (new word?) of "The League of Gentlemen", the brilliance of comedians like Steve Coogan, Mark Gatiss, and Kevin Eldon . . . man, this could get long.

My other hobby de jour is comics. I only recently got back into them, but it's been a great ride so far. I love anything good. :)

I dunno what else to say, and it's my bed time, so I'll wrap 'er up.

Welcome Wave

Nice one Mick, welcome, now let the initiation begin, I'll get the paddles!

Good taste in comedy as well ;)

Wave

Quote: Leevil @ September 12, 2007, 3:57 PM

I'll get the paddles!

Trust Lee to sort out the oars. Welcome.

Hi Mick Dolan, welcome to the BSG Wave

Adam

heya and welcome! :)

Hi!
You have good taste.
Does China have any sitcoms?

Welcome Mick.

I guess by comics you mean those paper things with loads of pictures and words and not stand ups.

I love them too (if that is what you meant). I wish my mum had never got rid of my Eagles, Victors and Tigers. I've still got loads of Viz's though!

Evenin'. *tips hat* :)

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Quote: zooo @ September 12, 2007, 6:10 PM

Hi!
You have good taste.
Does China have any sitcoms?

They have some, but they really aren't into them as much as dramas. I haven't found myself getting into any of them, perhaps there's a cultural/language barrier.

Quote: David Chapman @ September 12, 2007, 6:14 PM

Welcome Mick.

I guess by comics you mean those paper things with loads of pictures and words and not stand ups.

I love them too (if that is what you meant). I wish my mum had never got rid of my Eagles, Victors and Tigers. I've still got loads of Viz's though!

Yeah, I meant "graphic novels". :D Actually, I've never heard of any of the ones you named. Maybe they're British. :S

I love more adult oriented comics that tackle greater themes than 'Hulk smash!'.

Where do you get all your British shows from? DVD's?, well you're in China, what am I saying, lol, of course!!

Quote: Leevil @ September 13, 2007, 12:58 AM

Where do you get all your British shows from? DVD's?, well you're in China, what am I saying, lol, of course!!

Usually, yeah. If the show is good enough, I buy them on DVD and have them shipped to China. The cool thing is that Chinese DVD players/TVs are both PAL and NTSC, so I can buy the DVDs from wherever they're cheapest: America or the UK. :)

I download a lot as well, particularly new shows that aren't yet out on DVD. A lot of people really hate the p2p file sharing, but for me it's a lifeline. If it weren't for DLing, I'd never have seen stuff like Saxondale, which of course is on series two and they still haven't released series one on DVD! Grr.

It sucks in some ways, because I can't just watch new shows on TV, as in, I have to seek them out. So some stuff I don't know about until much later, like I just found out that there are three shows continuing: Peep Show, Saxondale, and IT Crowd. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Well stick around here, and you'll be up-to-date

:)

P2P isn't a bad word around here, although keep it on the hush, hush, ;)

Quote: Leevil @ September 13, 2007, 1:13 AM

Well stick around here, and you'll be up-to-date

:)

P2P isn't a bad word around here, although keep it on the hush, hush, ;)

Yeah, I'm already seeing tonnes of stuff mentioned that I've never even heard about much less seen. :S This place will be cool for that.

What's p2p? ;)

Quote: Mick Dolan @ September 13, 2007, 1:17 AM

What's p2p? ;)

You'll fit right in.

Best guide on the net: https://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/