Right, where to begin? Page 5

I love Chinese.

I like Asians too.

Wrong.

Quote: Mick Dolan @ September 21, 2007, 10:19 PM

A Chinese chippy. You know, not being British, nor having ever been there, I have no distinct idea of what a chippy is, other than the fact that A) they must serve chips, and B) it certainly isn't intended to be Chinese. :P So what's it like living above the chippy? Do you get the smell of oil and grease permeating your flat?

I don't live there anymore. The smell didn't permeate the flat but you got a good whiff everytime you went in or out when they were 'frying'. A 'Chinese chippy' is a traditional English Fish & Chip shop run by Chinese folks. The menu being fish, chips, pies, chicken, fishcakes, rissoles, etc. All deep fried fayre except the pies which are pre-cooked and just warmed up! The Chinese have saved the Great British Fish & Chip from extinction. As other fast-food chains invaded the UK and took over, fat and lazy English Fish & Chip shop owners couldn't cope with the increased variety and longer opening hours that the public began to expect and the Chinese stepped in and saved the day. It took them a long time to master how to fry chips well, but they've cracked it now and they're a damned sight more friendly and polite than their English counterparts ever were!

I don't know of any Chinese fish 'n' chip shops. Intriguing theory though!

We have a Turkish fish and chip shop (yawn) sorry, can't think of anything interesting to say on the subject, but it is true.

Quote: Aaron @ September 23, 2007, 7:55 PM

Fiendishly clever they are those orientals! Huge numbers of English run Fish & Chip shops came onto the market and the Chinese bought 'em up and turned 'em round faster than you can say, chicken chop suey!

This is starting to remind me of David Brent: "Orientals make very good workers." Such a stereotype and borderline racist.

Quote: Mick Dolan @ September 24, 2007, 8:30 AM

This is starting to remind me of David Brent: "Orientals make very good workers." Such a stereotype and borderline racist.

Hardly, just a fond observation on my part but if you're looking to spot a racist issue I'm sure you'll find one! Real or otherwise!

Racist perhaps, but not maliciously so.

Racist? - depends on what you accept as your definition of racism - there are so many. Malicious? Certainly not! And definitely NOT racial prejudice!

I love quality chinese food but have found that where I am in South East London the Chinese take away places have tended to be pretty bad whereas with Indian food there are several scrumptious establishments to choose from.

Has anyone else found such a weighting of quality Chinese to Indian restaurants.

I have also never come across a Chinese Chippy. Both of our local chippies seem be run by people that I would think are possibly Turkish. What a lovely bunch of fellas they all are.

You don't? There's several my way.

You should ask the servants where they get yours from.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ September 24, 2007, 3:25 PM

Racist? - depends on what you accept as your definition of racism - there are so many. Malicious? Certainly not! And definitely NOT racial prejudice!

Or what about when David tells the joke about the 'black man's cock.' Jennifer says it's racist and he says, 'it's not racist because it doesn't say anything bad about black people.'

I'm not offended or anything, it just made me think of The Office and what is considered racist.

My friend was eating chips and sausages and rice yesterday but hes a student so its not actually classified as food.