Last Of The Summer Wine Page 3

Thora Hird should have mention too.She was always excellent in everything.

Quote: john tregorran @ 28th January 2021, 7:33 PM

Thora Hird should have mention too.She was always excellent in everything.

She was a relative late comer though wasn't she?

All I remember at the start is the 3, Nora Batty and the husband and wife in the cafe.

They gradually introduced more and more characters.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th January 2021, 8:07 PM

She was a relative late comer though wasn't she?

All I remember at the start is the 3, Nora Batty and the husband and wife in the cafe.

They gradually introduced more and more characters.

Thora Hird came into series in 1985 starting with the Uncle of The Bride Special, first episode for Glenda, Barry and Seymour too.

I watched it from the start,went off it,went back again and went off it again.I don't know when anybody appeared or disappeared.

Quote: Wheel @ 30th January 2021, 6:13 PM

Thora Hird came into series in 1985 starting with the Uncle of The Bride Special, first episode for Glenda, Barry and Seymour too.

Just watched that episode. My introduction to Seymour. It will be interesting to see the various "third men" as I get through the series. So many seem to like the trio with Foggy but his mean streak seems a bit OTT.

Quote: Rose2010 @ 2nd February 2021, 4:42 AM

Just watched that episode. My introduction to Seymour. It will be interesting to see the various "third men" as I get through the series. So many seem to like the trio with Foggy but his mean streak seems a bit OTT.

I really enjoyed Seymour. I really enjoyed his craziness and his inventions was funny, he was very different to Foggy and Blamire, which I liked.

Finally acquired the full set of disks and, starting last August, watched every episode. Just finished! Like most, I was sorry when Bill Owen died and we lost Compo. I found that I loved Seymour (Michael Aldridge) and Truly (Frank Thornton) but continued to find Foggy too mean-spirited. Wesley (Gordon Wharmby), Edie (Thora Hird), Pearl (Juliet Kaplan), Howard (Robert Fyfe), Marina (Jean Fergusson), Glenda (Sarah Thomas) and Barry (Mike Grady) were a solid supporting cast. Billy Hardcastle (Keith Richard) was a rich character, adding new dimensions. Alvin (Brian Murphy) and Stella (Barbara Young) were great additions to the cast in the final years and are among my favourites. All that being said, the most enjoyable characters for me were Nora (Kathy Staff) and Wally (Joe Gladwin), Ivy (Jane Freeman) and Sid (John Comer) and, of course, Cleggy (Peter Sallis).

That's admiral dedication Rose, well done. The first series is being rerun here on one of our nostalgia channels which I caught two eps of last night and I've got to say I liked it for what it was, a very gentle meander through some nice countryside, long before all the shoed in slapstick contrivances turned it into something different. If it had stayed like that then I would have probably watched more. Michael Bates as Blamire gave it a nice bit of steadiness, if you know what I mean.

Not an awful lot of conflict in it, but I think that was ramped up when Foggy replaced him and assumed the role of unelected leader. I've noticed that most of the different castings of the same assumed leader character from Foggy on were taller than the other two (Compo & Cleggy) as if to emphasise their self appointed position as top dog. (Blamire/Bates was about the same height).

At the minute, I am going through every episode of Last Of The Summer Wine, I had the complete collection dvd box set for Christmas; I have just started series 3 - the introduction of Foggy in "The Man From Oswestry" episode which I am currently watching. It is very much a true classic sitcom, which unfortunately is often sniggered at by many "comedy fans".
I love Last Of The Summer Wine, it is one of my all time favourites.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 16th January 2023, 9:11 PM

A short-lived tale. More, please. Why quit when you're ahead? The J D Salingers of sitcom.

🤣

I watched a Christmas special recently (they probably did about 24) and it was set in the middle of summer

Bonkers

Quote: lofthouse @ 18th January 2023, 8:13 PM

I watched a Christmas special recently (they probably did about 24) and it was set in the middle of summer

Bonkers

I guess you're not a fan of One Foot In The Grave either then?

I get your point but this was an actual Christmas themed story- set in the height of summer!

I think most of Last Of The Summer Wine's twenty one Christmas specials were indeed Christmas themed.