Last Of The Summer Wine

I know there are other threads open about this sitcom but they haven't had any posts for years so I thought I'd start a new one.

I love Last Of The Summer Wine, I think it is truly one of the greatest sitcoms ever made. The first 10 or so years where the show in its very prime and each and every episode is in my opinion some of the finest comedy ever created. What are your opinions on this classic sitcom?

Hi Kyle - and welcome. I like it. Like a lot of things it divides opinion.

I've just been reading up on it. A 2003 poll wasn't at all flattering but in 2004 it was as high as 14th in a BBC vote on the Best British Sitcom of all time.

Running for 37 years, and with nearly 300 episodes, that really takes some doing. What other writers have ever managed that feat or will ever do in the future?

And when you look at the list of the people who were in it, either regularly or in just one or two episodes, there are loads of comedy greats from many different eras.

I'm a HUGE fan of this show. Watched it to the final episode. While I will agree with many here claiming that it went on a little longer then need be, I was sad to see it go without any fanfare or closure.

Quote: Dice @ July 18 2013, 11:13 PM BST

I'm a HUGE fan of this show. Watched it to the final episode. While I will agree with many here claiming that it went on a little longer then need be, I was sad to see it go without any fanfare or closure.

I don't think it was popular enough to have much of a fanfare. It was given a prime time slot and retitled 'The Very Last of the Summer Wine', which was something I suppose.

I love it, personally I thought the 90s decade was when the show was at its peak. I think all of those series are true classics but I own the lot, up to Series 24. Really good comedy, shame it didn't really get the respect it deserved when it ended.

Quote: G180e @ July 19 2013, 4:52 PM BST

I love it, personally I thought the 90s decade was when the show was at its peak. I think all of those series are true classics but I own the lot, up to Series 24. Really good comedy, shame it didn't really get the respect it deserved when it ended.

I think up to the show's 8th series when Foggy left for the first time was the show's peak, after that the show went down hill for me. I did not like Series 9 with Seymour, I thought it was a very weak series but the following two series were much better. When Foggy returned in 1990 the show remained good but not outstanding in my view until Compo's death then the show was unwatchable to me without Compo.

The problems I find with the show after the 8th series that made the show not as good in my opinion (but still of a reasonably high quality) was too many charcters and sub-plots (Howard and Marina, ladies' coffe morning, Smiler trying to find love, Auntie Wainwright trying to sell something etc). I prefered the show when it simply focused on the main trio with Nora, Wally, Sid and Ivy as supporting characters. The show was never the same without Sid, easily the best supporting character in my opinion.

All entitled to our opinions.

Quote: G180e @ July 19 2013, 5:30 PM BST

All entitled to our opinions.

Very true indeed.

I wasn't a fan of Bill Owen's son's character on the show. It was "cute" the way Nora Batty took a liking to him, but that was about it for me. He was a Simmonite in name only. He had none of the charm of his Father.

I also liked how Wesley started to be used more and the arrival of Alvin was one of the Best things to happen to the show. Not knocking the arrival of Truely at all, but IMHO Alvin stepped into the spotlight and did a bang up job with what they gave him.

Howard and Marina really was a 1 trick pony that got rather boring. Why Cleggy never told him to piss off was beyond me! Seymore was Ok but not great. Hobbo was rubbish! Foggy, Cyril, and Truely in that order were my faves rounding out the 3 with Compo and Cleggy.

Quote: Dice @ July 19 2013, 11:14 PM BST

I wasn't a fan of Bill Owen's son's character on the show. It was "cute" the way Nora Batty took a liking to him, but that was about it for me. He was a Simmonite in name only. He had none of the charm of his Father.

I also liked how Wesley started to be used more and the arrival of Alvin was one of the Best things to happen to the show. Not knocking the arrival of Truely at all, but IMHO Alvin stepped into the spotlight and did a bang up job with what they gave him.

Howard and Marina really was a 1 trick pony that got rather boring. Why Cleggy never told him to piss off was beyond me! Seymore was Ok but not great. Hobbo was rubbish! Foggy, Cyril, and Truely in that order were my faves rounding out the 3 with Compo and Cleggy.

I love Brian Murphy as an actor I love George And Mildred but I can't stand him in Last Of The Summer Wine I find him to be very annoying. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair but I pretty much write off the show after Compo died because the magic had gone from the show. Tom Owen it was nice to have the link to Compo / Bill in the show still but he is a terrible actor in my opinion. Hobbo was quite possibly the most depressing thing to happen to LOTSW to think we went from comedy greats like Michael Bates , Bill Owen , Brian Wilde to Russ Abbot awful actor awful character.

I've never seen anything else with Alvin before. Being in the states we are extremely limited on what, as we call them, Britcoms we get here. We are at the Mercy of our Public Access channels. The only time that I can remember where a "Britcom" was not on Public Access is when The Young Ones aired on Mtv back in the 80s. Then we got BBC America and that gave us a whole new opportunity to watch UK programming to a certain extent.

Does anyone know where's the White Swan Pub used in the episode Perfection-thy name is Ridley?
Thanks !

Just watched an episode where Pearl out-Marinas Marina. I'd often wondered if she was drabbed down and she really has got stunning legs.

You can watch Last of the Summer Wine from the very beginning on Drama from Monday 16th May running weekdays at 1pm.

You can find Drama on Freeview 20, Freesat 162, Sky 158 or Virgin 190.

We think Compo and Nora might be the greatest love story of all time... Sort of. http://drama.uktv.co.uk/last-of-the-summer-wine/article/compo-and-nora

For me the Howard and Marina thing was the same every single week and just got boring. It was just the same story said in a different way.

However, whilst I wasn't keen on Seymour, (or Milburn for that matter) some of the best characters were around this time. Wally Batty and Sid/Ivy were superb, and in my opinion was the peak.