Last Of The Summer Wine Page 4

Quote: lofthouse @ 19th January 2023, 11:23 AM

I get your point but this was an actual Christmas themed story- set in the height of summer!

Ah, well that does sound a little odder!

Quote: lofthouse @ 18th January 2023, 8:13 PM

🤣

I watched a Christmas special recently (they probably did about 24) and it was set in the middle of summer

Bonkers

What was the episode called?

Dunno

Noras brother in Australia was at deaths door and he wanted to spend one last Christmas in England but couldn't

So despite the fact it was July or September, they put all the decorations up and put on party hats and made a turkey etc- so they could take photos of them enjoying Christmas, so they could send the pics to him

And then he pulled through anyway ....

So ..

Yeah, odd!

I belive that episode was "A Merry Heatwave"

Plot: Nora's brother is near to death and not likely to make it to Christmas, so Foggy re-creates Christmas, in the middle of a hot summer.

That is the joke, that they're recreating an English Christmas for a person living in Australia when its the middle of summer, and him pulling through is the punchline of the joke.

Sounds like a traditional, typical sitcom plot to me! Load of effort expended by all on the best intentions, only for it to have all been for nothing.

Indeed, that sort of plot is featured in many classic sitcoms, it's the old fashioned farce elemenet to it, as you Aaron say all that effort to do something lovely for nothing gets the big laugh from the audience. Set up of the joke, than the punchline.

I saw the last ten minutes of the episode Will The Nearest Alien Please Come In and was surprised to see Mark Curry in a guest role as I remember him only as a Blue Peter presenter. IMDB shows his television roles have been sporadic but he's done a lot of stage work since the Last Of The Summer Wine episode so it looks like the appearance gave his career a boost. I have to admit at first I was wondering what he was doing in a sitcom and if it was questionable casting but his character grew on me and I'll have to watch the full episode. He had a Roy Cropper/Detective Dave Briggs vibe that I liked. Kind of pathetic but optimistic.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 7th July 2023, 4:44 PM

I saw the last ten minutes of the episode Will The Nearest Alien Please Come In and was surprised to see Mark Curry in a guest role as I remember him only as a Blue Peter presenter. IMDB shows his television roles have been sporadic but he's done a lot of stage work since the Last Of The Summer Wine episode so it looks like the appearance gave his career a boost. I have to admit at first I was wondering what he was doing in a sitcom and if it was questionable casting but his character grew on me and I'll have to watch the full episode. He had a Roy Cropper/Detective Dave Briggs vibe that I liked. Kind of pathetic but optimistic.

A lot of TV presenters especially for kids shows are drama grads just looking for work. While it's a really good breakthrough for many the big downside is it can typecast you out of anything else. TV is run by nannies who don't viewers to be confused by seeing a Playschool presenter turning up in Eastenders, so for this reason you are much more likely to see them prancing about in some musical in the West End rather than in an adult TV show. Morning.