HIGNFY - Series 45 Page 6

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ June 2 2013, 10:11 AM BST

Agree. And Frank Skinner as a host feels natural. Not like a novelty as with some others.

He can read the autocue and deliver a joke, always helps.

Hislop seems to still be enjoying himself. I have no idea why Merton is still there?? The money must be good.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ June 2 2013, 2:24 PM BST

He can read the autocue and deliver a joke, always helps.

I mean, this kind of sarcasm suits him. It doesn't feel like he's reading prefabricated jokes written by others.

Skinner would be good choice, but is he not a little too clever, a little too talented to end up as just a host? I'd prefer him to be one of the team Captains.

Quote: Pingl @ June 4 2013, 3:37 PM BST

I'd prefer him to be one of the team Captains

That would be alright with me.
It's really strange: one the one hand I'd like to punch his face whenever I see him. I don't know what it his, maybe his self satisfied smirk. On the other hand I feel we should see him more often on TV, especially when it comes to satire and social criticism. It's his biting sarcasm and cynicism what's needed in our misguided materialistic society.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ June 4 2013, 4:08 PM BST

That would be alright with me.
It's really strange: one the one hand I'd like to punch his face whenever I see him. I don't know what it his, maybe his self satisfied smirk. On the other hand I feel we should see him more often on TV, especially when it comes to satire and social criticism. It's his poignant sarcasm and cynicism what's needed in our misguided materialistic society.

He is one of the quickest comedians around, also a thoughtful and evolving one. He is a very different comic to the one that found fame in the nineties, a much wiser and considered one. His comic timing is near perfection

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ June 2 2013, 9:30 AM BST

Much funnier, less painful guests this week.

Mmm... really not sure about that. I found it a very slow, uninspired edition. Shame for an end to the series.

Quote: Pingl @ June 4 2013, 3:37 PM BST

Skinner would be good choice, but is he not a little too clever, a little too talented to end up as just a host? I'd prefer him to be one of the team Captains.

He was absolutely *marvellous* when Paul Merton was taken ill for one episode a few series back.

Quote: Aaron @ June 4 2013, 8:34 PM BST

Mmm... really not sure about that. I found it a very slow, uninspired edition. Shame for an end to the series.

Was it really the final episode of the series? I didn't realize that.
The series was a mixed bag, some episodes were better than others.
It's only my second year of HIGNFY. Was it more consistent in the "golden years"?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ June 4 2013, 8:51 PM BST

Was it really the final episode of the series? I didn't realize that.
The series was a mixed bag, some episodes were better than others.
It's only my second year of HIGNFY. Was it more consistent in the "golden years"?

It was once top stuff; pretty much unmissable, appointment-viewing. Particularly the years with Angus Deayton as host.

Quote: Aaron @ June 4 2013, 8:56 PM BST

It was once top stuff; pretty much unmissable, appointment-viewing. Particularly the years with Angus Deayton as host.

I'm taking the risk of going off topic. But can it be that Angus Deayton is a bit underrated? I find him marvellous in "One Foot..." and I only hear good things about him on the BCG. Why isn't he more on TV?

I find him great value. Not a clue why he's not seen more. Maybe someone's decided he's difficult to work with? I really don't know.

BBC has made cut backs on its hookers and coke budget.

It's lost its edge alright. It used to be consistently biting and relevant. Now it seems a lot safer. Maybe the BBC have edited out all the funny bits or the good writers have left... Whistling nnocently

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ June 6 2013, 8:18 AM BST

It's lost its edge alright. It used to be consistently biting and relevant.

Maybe it didn't have to compete with shows like Snog, Marry, Avoid, Don't Tell The Bride or the talent crap shows in the old days.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ June 6 2013, 8:33 AM BST

Maybe it didn't have to compete with shows like Snog, Marry, Avoid, Don't Tell The Bride or the talent crap shows in the old days.

I don't see how this would effect the show though. It was always subversive and a bit too politically topical to attract a huge audience.