Meet The Wife

Meet The Wife is a 1960s BBC situation comedy written by Ronald Chesney and Ronald Wolfe, which featured Freddie Frinton as Freddie Blacklock with Thora Hird as his tyrannical wife, Thora. It ran to five series.

The series was based on a 1963 BBC television Comedy Playhouse production, The Bed. The theme tune was by Russ Conway and incidental music by Norman Percival and later Dennis Wilson. The producers were John Paddy Carstairs and later Robin Nash.

The Beatles song "Good Morning, Good Morning" on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band includes the lyric "It's time for tea and Meet the Wife".

So what did you think of it? A very classic sitcom I think.

Good show. Pity all of the remnants aren't available on DVD. (Are you reading this, Acorn?)

Yeah I remember this show.100 percent agree Aaron :). I'm going to send an email to acorn about this.

Slightly off topic but every time I see the name Freddie Frinton I think of this piece of pure comic genius . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9rhMWC4mqQ

Quote: David Smith @ March 25 2013, 6:38 PM GMT

The Beatles song "Good Morning, Good Morning" on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band includes the lyric "It's time for tea and Meet the Wife".

I didn't know this was a reference to a/this TV show. I liked the song when I was a child (I still do). Thanks for the trivia.

How interesting Oldrocker.

You're welcome, Gordon.

Quote: Oldrocker @ March 25 2013, 7:33 PM GMT

Slightly off topic but every time I see the name Freddie Frinton I think of this piece of pure comic genius . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9rhMWC4mqQ

A "must watch" on New Year's Eve in the German speaking world.

So it says in the comments but it seems very strange thing !

:D

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ March 25 2013, 7:34 PM GMT

I didn't know this was a reference to a/this TV show. I liked the song when I was a child (I still do). Thanks for the trivia.

I understand there are quite a lot of comedy references in The Beatles' work.

Quote: Oldrocker @ March 25 2013, 7:38 PM GMT

So it says in the comments but it seems very strange thing !

:D

It's shown on nearly every channel at least once on that day. I don't know who introduced this sketch to us. But it's a tradition now.

Quote: Aaron @ March 25 2013, 7:45 PM GMT

I understand there are quite a lot of comedy references in The Beatles' work.

John Lennon was a big Peter Sellers fan. That's all I can say on that topic.

Written by the same writers as On The Buses.

And The Rag Trade.

And Yus, My Dear.

It was finally released on DVD today. That's good news as it was one such show I was hoping would see a DVD release. I always thought that 17 episodes survived, but there's only 15 on this 3 DVD set. It was planned to be a 4 disc set so it makes me wonder if the BBC said no to these 2 episodes, and it caused the delay we had as the DVD was originally due for release in September.

Quote: marac @ 24th October 2016, 1:36 PM

It was finally released on DVD today. That's good news as it was one such show I was hoping would see a DVD release. I always thought that 17 episodes survived, but there's only 15 on this 3 DVD set. It was planned to be a 4 disc set so it makes me wonder if the BBC said no to these 2 episodes, and it caused the delay we had as the DVD was originally due for release in September.

I don't recall seeing a September release date; either way, these things are often subject to change, and there were only ever 15 episodes due to be released. According to my records though, there are indeed another 2 that survive. Makes me wonder what's going on with the BBC's contemporary cataloguing.