Help with Cooking Page 8

What is this f**king obsession we British currantly (ha ha ha ha - pun!) have for baking?

There's not a (proper) war on, for Christ's sake!

What next? Knitting Christmas hats for 'our boys in the trenches'? Constructing barrage balloons?

Sue Perkins has a lot to answer for,

Yeah well, think it's called TV innit, a load of Oxgrads having power lunches at the Ivy deciding what subject or part of life hasn't been serialised to death on TV for a while so they can extend their comfy career a bit longer.

Baking isn't bad, it's the campy huggy teary drama in a tea cuppy bent (another pun) they put on it. :(

Quote: T.W. @ 18th November 2013, 2:01 AM GMT

What is this f**king obsession we British currantly (ha ha ha ha - pun!) have for baking?

It's easy for a well-paid professional like you to mock, but it is a time of austerity for the rest of us, and food prices are rocketing. Some of the underprivileged are finding it increasingly difficult to maintain their levels of obesity.

I love baking. I bake anything and everything. I have found that baking for people is the quickest and easiest way to make friends.

It's not really a money thing (ingredients can be quite expensive if you are the kind of snob who uses real vanilla pods rather than essence.)

It's just so relaxing. Mix together lots of calories and watch the results sparkle. Yum yum.

Not random people?

I'm not what my response would be if a woman I'd never met before presented me with a date and nut loaf at the bus stop.

Quote: Jennie @ 18th November 2013, 9:00 AM GMT

I have found that baking for people is the quickest and easiest way to make friends.

It's Rohypnol for me every time.

Quote: Jennie @ 18th November 2013, 9:00 AM GMT

I love baking. I bake anything and everything. I have found that baking for people is the quickest and easiest way to make friends.

You missed the word 'fat' off the end.

Quote: roscoff @ 18th November 2013, 10:01 AM GMT

It's Rohypnol for me every time.

Rohyprolls surely?

Quote: sootyj @ 18th November 2013, 9:05 AM GMT

Not random people?

I'm not what my response would be if a woman I'd never met before pegged me with a date and nut loaf at the bus stop.

Quite....

*edit - don't look up pegging at work!

Quote: Will Cam @ 18th November 2013, 10:48 AM GMT

*edit - don't look up pegging at work!

Laughing out loud

Is it something to do with pirates?

I'm attempting to be a proper grown up tonight by cooking dinner. Which means I boiled pasta, added mushrooms, peas, ham and tossed it in some sour cream and seeded mustard.

Quote: sootyj @ 18th November 2013, 11:15 AM GMT

Is it something to do with pirates?

It would make you go Arrrrggghhhh

It's something to do with eleocoution and pirates?

One thing I hate with the current fad for baking is the people who claim they LOVE to bake. A girl in my office harps on all the time about how she LOVES baking. All she can make is scones.