Help with Cooking Page 7

About my level too, tho I think I know enough not to have chocolate cornflakes with it. Maybe afters.

Perfect!

Are you making beef wellington yourself? Very impressive!

It's quite a rich and heavy dish so I would serve it with something lighter like long-stemmed broccoli or asparagus.

It's in a week's time, but er, no, I'll be having help with it, in fact someone else will be doing it. Forgot to say that, oops. No way I'd even try it, it's advanced cookery I hear. Asparagus shall be bought, love the stuff. Roast tats I think yes.

I wouldn't use Yorkshires as the pastry is heavy enough.

I'm baking some onion and poppy seed rolls tomorrow. I made them at the start of the year and they were delicious, but they were really heavy. I didn't knead them for the recommended 20 - 25 minutes. More like 10 minutes as I got bored. I'm going to put a bit more effort in this time and hopefully they'll be a bit lighter.

I've just restarted doing my vegetable stews after over a year of omission, because I put my slow cook pot away when I redid the kitchen last year and I forgot where I put it.

No two stews are the same, because I use whatever veg I have on hand.

This one is lovely and was made thus:

a) get out the slow cook pot & clean it.
b) peel & chop two big onions into the pot
c) dig in the fridge & find all the root veg on hand.
d) peel & chop all the remaining carrots abot 15 medium sised ones
e) peel & chop two mighty big parsnips
f) wash and chop up all the remainder of the celery
g) with all that lot in the pot, sprinkle salt over the top
h) pour in a whole jar of pasta sauce
h) bung in about a third of the brussell's sprouts on hand (about 15)
i) pull off a bunch of fresh coriander leaves, rinse & bung them in
j) use up the remainder of the hot mixed pickle jar (about 2 teaspoons)
k) boil water in kettle and pour over the mixture, by now the veg are up to the top of the pot, so the water just fills the gaps, fill to just 1/4 inch below the rim.
l) heat on the high setting for two hours, then lift the lid & with a wooden spoon, stir all the ingredients to mix them up.
m) turn down to the low setting and cook for a further 12 hours.

n) eat two meals including this stew with grilled meat during today
o) the veg level is now about 2" down, so
p) chop up the remainder of the turnip from the fridge (about 1/2 turnip. Chop into thinnish slices.
q) using fiendish flying saucer style apple core device, split an apple into segments and discard the core.
r) stir all these in, put the lid on and leave cooking until tomorrow.

Brunch tomorrow will eat some of this, the rest will probably be put into about 3 well washed pasta-sauce jars and then in the fridge for future meals, when it will be reheated in the microwave.

Hey Bill have you updated it since Sir Francis Drake discovered the potato

Taters don't seem to work proper, in this kind of stew, so meals later might include potatoes as boiled, chips or mash, cooked separately, with grilled meat and some of the stew.

Ooops, that turnip was a swede, the turnip is still in the fridge.

Quote: billwill @ 16th November 2013, 11:10 PM GMT

Taters don't seem to work proper, in this kind of stew,

Try really waxy potatoes ...that's what the Greeks do.
They hold their shape and soak up all the goodness.

BTW if you were to add some sliced chorizo sausage, then you would be talking...

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th November 2013, 10:17 AM GMT

..that's what the Greeks do.
They hold their shape and soak up all the goodness.

Thats what she said

Quote: Ben @ 16th November 2013, 8:51 PM GMT

I'm baking some onion and poppy seed rolls tomorrow. I made them at the start of the year and they were delicious, but they were really heavy. I didn't knead them for the recommended 20 - 25 minutes. More like 10 minutes as I got bored. I'm going to put a bit more effort in this time and hopefully they'll be a bit lighter.

If you're planning on doing regular baking I would suggest investing in a mixer with dough hooks to save you having to spend so much time kneading.

I can't believe you have to knead for a full 25 minutes. That sounds impossible.

Quote: Harridan @ 17th November 2013, 11:53 AM GMT

If you're planning on doing regular baking I would suggest investing in a mixer with dough hooks to save you having to spend so much time kneading.

I'm not going to bake often, but will see if there are any suitable attachements available for my girlfriend's various devices. And no, SootyJ, not those devices.

Quote: zooo @ 17th November 2013, 11:59 AM GMT

I can't believe you have to knead for a full 25 minutes. That sounds impossible.

It's doable, but a bit boring.

The rolls are currently proving as we speak. I'll be stuffing them in the oven in 15 minutes.

My rolls were a success and were much lighter this time. Might add a touch more salt next time, but that's all!