Help with Cooking Page 11

I want to make a ginger sryup to put in the drinks. The instructions say to store it in sterilizied jar but this seems to involve sticking glass into the oven or microwave. I'm not keen on that so does anyone know a way to do it without a oven or if it will matter if I don't sterilize them?

Nigella always says just put them in the dishwasher and let them air dry. (I think.)

Quote: zooo @ 12th December 2015, 11:16 PM GMT

Nigella always says just put them in the dishwasher and let them air dry. (I think.)

Thanks. Unfortunately I have no dishwasher but I might try filling the sink with boiled water and then air drying.

Is the point of sterilising just so you can keep stuff for ages in them? (I have no clue.) If you're going to use it up fairly quick maybe you don't even need to.

Quote: reds @ 12th December 2015, 11:21 PM GMT

Thanks. Unfortunately I have no dishwasher but I might try filling the sink with boiled water and then air drying.

Milton Sterilising Tablets they use for baby's bottles etc. Sterilises in about a quarter of an hour and the solution should last a day......and they're cheap.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th December 2015, 11:56 PM GMT

Milton Sterilising Tablets they use for baby's bottles etc. Sterilises in about a quarter of an hour and the solution should last a day......and they're cheap.

I'd forgotten about this. I did use the milton tablets in the end- still got the ginger syrup all these months later, so I guess they work.

Meanwhile: I'm going to a bbq tomorrow. Everyone is taking something and some of the people going are really good cooks. Anyone got a recipe for something impressive that can be made by a very average cook and doesn't involve barley, rye, oats or wheat flour?

From the Department of Old Thread Revival.....................

Watching Nadiya Hussein on the Beeb this morning with her version of French Toast - WOW!!

I'm going to have to cook that when I get the ingredients together.

She really does come up with some fabulous recipes, but most of them I fight shy of attempting, but her French Toast has got me salivating and she makes it look so easy and simple.

She's an excellent TV chef/cook!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd July 2023, 12:23 PM

her version of French Toast

How many ways are there? Toasted on the other side instead?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd July 2023, 12:23 PM

Watching Nadiya Hussein on the Beeb this morning with her version of French Toast - WOW!!

Is it this one? https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/savoury_french_toast_44950

If so, it's basically a Monte Cristo sandwich.

Quote: fasty @ 22nd July 2023, 2:03 PM

How many ways are there? Toasted on the other side instead?

It's two pieces of bread with a cheese and ham filling, flavoured with garlic, onion and turmeric - looks simply delish, and of course you can use your own recipe fillings.

Quote: DaButt @ 22nd July 2023, 4:59 PM

Is it this one? https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/savoury_french_toast_44950

If so, it's basically a Monte Cristo sandwich.

Yes, but as she pointed out, you can change the fillings to whatever you desire. A wonderful snack by any name, would taste so sweet, or savoury

I'm thinking now, I wonder if you could do a BLT like that, but put the lettuce in after cooking.