Worst comedy Page 18

From the last few years of British TV: Miranda, Mrs Brown's Boys, Him and Her, Coming of Age, Citizen Khan, Twenty Twelve and Friday Night Dinner are the most rotten.

Anything with Jeremy Paxman in - I mean, I thought he was supposed to be an alternative comedian. He always seems to overdo the serious stuff - perhaps it's just me!

Miranda gets my vote for the most utter load of Rubbish on TV.

Only Fools And Horses.

After the 1996 ending, all subsequent episodes where absolutely atrocious, everything about these shows were lazy and rushed.
This is not America where the main character gets a laugh simply for appearing on screen, we need plot and clever writing, and sadly these episodes had none.
They just rehashed old material. Rodney in a Roman Centurian outfit was particularly desperate.

This was a great seris that was sadly milked dry. Even the 1996 specials were running out of ideas, but then to make spin-offs and prequels, that's an insult to fans of the show.

Just on a side note, if you ever suffer from insomnia try watching Miami Twice, it works for me.

I'm an OFAH fan, I just know poor telly when I watch it.

Quote: Joe McSloy @ 17th December 2013, 11:27 AM GMT

Only Fools And Horses.

After the 1996 ending, all subsequent episodes where absolutely atrocious, everything about these shows were lazy and rushed.
This is not America where the main character gets a laugh simply for appearing on screen, we need plot and clever writing, and sadly these episodes had none.
They just rehashed old material. Rodney in a Roman Centurian outfit was particularly desperate.

This was a great seris that was sadly milked dry. Even the 1996 specials were running out of ideas, but then to make spin-offs and prequels, that's an insult to fans of the show.

Just on a side note, if you ever suffer from insomnia try watching Miami Twice, it works for me.

I'm an OFAH fan, I just know poor telly when I watch it.

Miami Twice, I only gave it a Once!

Yes I can totally agree what you have said above. I am a big fan of that series too, but you can spot some of them have been rushed and hurried up in time for Christmas or specials etc.

I am however a fan of the old fashioned comedies like Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, not the films but the TV series they did.

I find today's comedy very hard to laugh at, I really do, maybe I'm strange I don't know :)

Kids these days wouldn't know shows like - On The Buses, Steptoe And Son Catherine Tate, Fawlty Towers, some later episodes of Keeping Up Appearances, One Foot In The Grave, Bewitched, I Love Lucy, last two are American but they do hold timeless humour.

I cannot sit through an episode of Miranda! I find her more painful than a root canal without medication. I have watched a couple of episodes not full ones, and bottom of the barrel scrapings came to mind, even Columbo is ten times funnier!

But that's just my personal view.

Quote: Aziza Sabah @ 17th December 2013, 4:36 PM GMT

I cannot sit through an episode of Miranda! I find her more painful than a root canal without medication. I have watched a couple of episodes not full ones, and bottom of the barrel scrapings came to mind, even Columbo is ten times funnier!

Completely agree! Here acceptance speech for the Comedy Awards was cringe worthy!

Now, I know I'm going off topic, and someone can start a thread for it, if they want, BUT, what makes a funny comedy?

My own opinion is a script that doesn't force the comedy, isn't necessarily written by the main performer, performances that are under played and the comedy is subtle and intelligent. (Cheers, Fraser, Back to you (cancelled, with unscreened episodes), Porridge, The Good Life etc.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 18th December 2013, 1:23 PM GMT

Completely agree! Here acceptance speech for the Comedy Awards was cringe worthy!

Now, I know I'm going off topic, and someone can start a thread for it, if they want, BUT, what makes a funny comedy?

My own opinion is a script that doesn't force the comedy, isn't necessarily written by the main performer, performances that are under played and the comedy is subtle and intelligent. (Cheers, Fraser, Back to you (cancelled, with unscreened episodes), Porridge, The Good Life etc.

I must have been one of the lucky ones not have had to endure Miranda's acceptance speech, although, thanks for the heads up on that one, I will be able to fast forward that bit. :D

I wonder who is putting that woman on TV constantly, it's just plain painful. Today's comedy I feel either is ridiculous or just not funny!

It does take a good script and the right comedy actor to fulfill a role of what the writer has in his vision. When I watch some of the comedy shows on TV, there is no natural gel to being funny, it's either rehashed or just downright boring!

Ronnie Barker was great at both writing and carrying through the comedy. I never really liked The Two Ronnies or should I say I didn't appreciate them when I was young growing up, but when I watch them today, I would definitely say he was a genius.

There is nothing genius about some of the current shows today. Angry

I just think that a new comedy show is only commissioned if it is 'groundbreaking' or wildly new. If this is the only criteria used there is no wonder that there is a dearth of new comedy that appeals to lots of people. Yes, this kind of comedy can be interesting but having to be belly laugh funny comes two or three notches down the list. Funny is funny and intellectualisation is something else altogether. Sticking up a bit for modern comedy though I have to say Inbetweeners was great. I have to stick up for Miranda too as I find her quite funny. It's good to see a woman being an individual and breaking the exhausting and thoroughly constrictive feminine role. I know I might be drifting into something else altogether but I used to find her tedious but find her funny now. My kids love her and through them I got to watch her more and appreciate that kind of humour. Being a windbag so I'll sign off now...Nanoo, nanoo - Showing my age now!

I like Miranda too. I'm sorry, but farting is funny.
Or at least it is when she does it.

Maybe people find her funny because she is on TV so much! I was quite surprised reading on the internet how many people didn't like her.

Catherine Tate is talented and funny, and she is original too.

I'm never going to be a covert to Miranda, I'd rather sniff Jeremy Clarkson's armpits after a trip in the desert with no air conditioning ;)

Well no, if that was the case I'd love endless sport and home makeover programmes too. ;)

I like her because she makes me laugh. People have different tastes in comedy. It's quite simple!

Here here. I love Miranda, I think she is great and very funny!

Not necessarily the worst, but Lab Rats was very disappointing.

Quote: Aziza Sabah @ 16th December 2013, 9:22 PM GMT

Miranda gets my vote for the most utter load of Rubbish on TV.

I wouldn't say it's rubbish, it's cheap, unoriginal, derivative, self indulgent and very cartoony but it is formed into a product quite well, not one I like, but many sadly do.

Millican's show OTOH is really tasteless, the format isn't too great either and she is a thousand times more irritating than Hart. I find that far harder to sit through and way more 'painful to watch.' Miranda is just a harmless silly CBeebies show with added adult content.

Miranda Hart is the nadir of comedy and quite possibly civilisation