Worst comedy Page 16

"Mind Your Language" - even for its era, the "joke" is just one lazy racial stereotype after another.

Bloody good though. Oh those saucy Frenchies!

Horne & Corden.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand it was the most hideously unfunny and misjudged comedy show I've ever seen but on the other hand it exposed Horne and Corden for the hacks they were and more or less put an end to their partnership.

The 'partnership' was pretty much only concocted in the first place as an excuse for that show, wasn't it? No one ever spoke of a Cleese/Scales comedy duo, and I don't think the pair did anything else other than G&S?

Quote: Aaron @ August 20 2013, 8:13 PM BST

The 'partnership' was pretty much only concocted in the first place as an excuse for that show, wasn't it? No one ever spoke of a Cleese/Scales comedy duo, and I don't think the pair did anything else other than G&S?

Just appearing together in that Lesbian Vampire Film.

Oh yes I'd forgotten about that. I actually rather like that one. So wonderfully ropey.

Quote: Aaron @ August 20 2013, 8:13 PM BST

The 'partnership' was pretty much only concocted in the first place as an excuse for that show.

I'm not fully read up on their history but I just remember seeing them together a lot being all smug and unfunny.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ August 20 2013, 8:05 PM BST

Horne & Corden.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand it was the most hideously unfunny and misjudged comedy show I've ever seen but on the other hand it exposed Horne and Corden for the hacks they were and more or less put an end to their partnership.

I agree, when I first sat down to watch it I was, to be honest, expecting a lot based on the quality of Gavin and Stacey. Some of the skits weren't bad, but the others were dreadful. Although that being said the so-called estrangement afterwards shows how immature they both were as actors... so your show flops, it's a chance to look at what you did wrong and really take it as a learning experience. I don't think G&S popularity helped them much though, a lot of added pressure. I wonder what it would have been like if Ruth Jones had been involved.

The worst comedy ever is any children's sitcom.

They're just so cringe-worthy, never funny and can't go for five seconds without using the laugh track.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ August 20 2013, 8:05 PM BST

Horne & Corden.

That show was bizarrely bad, I mean they're both fairly good actors, Cordens pretty damned good.

But it would appear they wrote most of it and by episode one it became apparent they had no gift for sketch comedy writing at all.

BBC2 seemed to have invested massively in one of the most dreadful vanity projects ever.

It's like Assad of Syria, making the uncle Assad laugh in and forcing people to laugh at it at gunpoint.

Quote: behminztur @ October 31 2013, 8:56 AM GMT

The worst comedy ever is any children's sitcom.

They're just so cringe-worthy, never funny and can't go for five seconds without using the laugh track.

Tracy Beeker, Renta ghost, Byker Grove, Grange Hill, ok they're more dramedies but they all punched way over their weight.

Quote: AndyGilder @ August 18 2013, 6:17 PM BST

"Mind Your Language" - even for its era, the "joke" is just one lazy racial stereotype after another.

Yeh it's of that uncomfortable jolly racism style that seemed so popular in the 70s, God alone knows why.

It's interesting that I'd say Love Thy Neighbour gets unfairly lumped in with, I mean that actually had black actors.

And seems to have helped the demise of In Sickness and in Health, one of the best and most misunderstood sitcoms of all time.

Quote: sootyj @ October 31 2013, 9:47 AM GMT

Yeh it's of that uncomfortable jolly racism style that seemed so popular in the 70s, God alone knows why.

It's interesting that I'd say Love Thy Neighbour gets unfairly lumped in with, I mean that actually had black actors.

Oh, were the French, Malaysian, Sikh, Armenian, Indian and Bangladeshi actors in Mind Your Language not good enough for you? Are they sub-standard foreigns to the blacks?

And seems to have helped the demise of In Sickness and in Health, one of the best and most misunderstood sitcoms of all time.

Alf's reaction to Winston's arrival is one of sitcoms classic moments in my view.

Do you know I genuinely didnt realise that, making me the kind of unthinking bigot I usually criticise.

Do you know that it was one of the first shows shown on telly in post Aparhteid South Africa?

Tracy Beeker, Renta ghost, Byker Grove, Grange Hill, ok they're more dramedies but they all punched way over their weight.

I was thinking more about things like Victorious, iCarly, How To Rock etc.

iCarly is actually not the worst - I got subjected to quite a lot of it last year. Can be quite amusing for what it is.

Cheese And Onion - dreadful sub-Cannon & Ball level tripe.