Sending Sitcom to BBC Writersroom Page 11

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ 8th May 2014, 6:34 PM BST

This is the first time Writersroom have split their script calls into genres, so no idea.

They usually get in the region of 1300 scripts, but that's for all genres at once.

If they really like your script, you may be invited to one of their development workshops, masterclasses or even shadow schemes, but only a very small % get that far.

So is there any chance of something solid coming of it? By that, I mean anything one would give up their job for? Or is it always a case of just being put in a situation where you can network? I would give up my job in a second for a writing job, but I don't know to what extent I could afford to gamble.

Cheers for your initial response.

Quote: gbus @ 9th May 2014, 12:03 PM BST

So is there any chance of something solid coming of it? By that, I mean anything one would give up their job for? Or is it always a case of just being put in a situation where you can network? I would give up my job in a second for a writing job, but I don't know to what extent I could afford to gamble.

I know Debbie Moon sent Wolfblood into the Writersroom, though it was for a competition. Even so, the prize wasn't to get a series, but it so happened that her show went on to be developed because of sending it in and is now filming its third series.

That direct an outcome through the Writersroom is rare though.

At the very least it can put you on people's radars and lead on to other opportunities.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 9th May 2014, 12:50 PM BST

I know Debbie Moon sent Wolfblood into the Writersroom, though it was for a competition. Even so, the prize wasn't to get a series, but it so happened that her show went on to be developed because of sending it in and is now filming its third series.

That direct an outcome through the Writersroom is rare though.

At the very least it can put you on people's radars and lead on to other opportunities.

Cheers. I really want to become a writer, but my job is good and I have it until retirement. But im only 31 and want to see if I could make a go of this.

This is going to come across as a really stupid question, but by 'midnight, May 12th 2014' do they mean the end of Sunday/beginning of Monday or the end of Monday/beginning Tuesday? :$

I would've thought it's the end of the day rather than the start.

Quote: gbus @ 9th May 2014, 9:02 PM BST

Cheers. I really want to become a writer, but my job is good and I have it until retirement. But im only 31 and want to see if I could make a go of this.

are you a member of the royal family

Quote: sootyj @ 9th May 2014, 11:22 PM BST

are you a member of the royal family

Very much so

I've decided to semi-NaNoWriMo this mother and do a whole script from scratch tomorrow. It'll probably be horrendous but it'll be a good deadline exercise.

Could you translate that please, Vince?

He's going to scratch a MILF tomorrow and write a script about it. He is going to attempt it with a semi and therefore highlighting the potential problem area.

That's what I thought he meant.

Quote: gbus @ 9th May 2014, 12:03 PM BST

Don't do anything rash like quitting your job.

As Matthew said earlier, Debbie Moon/Wolfblood is a rare occurrence.

With every Script Room, a small handful of writers are invited in to the BBC. Some are put on workshops and masterclasses and others might be passed over to Radio 4 if audio is more their forte, BBC Comedy for a chance to write for team-led shows or additional writing work on panel shows, or even BBC Drama if, say, their style of writing shows enough potential to write for EastEnders, Casualty, etc.

Of course, even if any of the above happens to you, it's no guarantee of actually being commissioned to write for the BBC.

All in all, it's more a case of getting a foot in the door and meeting BBC producers, i.e. getting you and your writing on that all-important radar.

Thinking I might not submit mine. Feel I can do a lot better with it. Been writing it for a long time, but feel it's not quite 100% yet. Maybe a solid 80% to 90% of what I want it to be. I'll keep with it because I've liked writing it and mostly flies on to the page, but it's something I feel I shouldn't submit tomorrow!

Quote: gbus @ 9th May 2014, 10:12 PM BST

This is going to come across as a really stupid question, but by 'midnight, May 12th 2014' do they mean the end of Sunday/beginning of Monday or the end of Monday/beginning Tuesday? :$

When I logged in and had a look at the submission page it said Monday 23:59, so still got all of tomorrow!

Quote: beaky @ 11th May 2014, 12:03 PM BST

Could you translate that please, Vince?

There's plenty of NaNoWriMo threads on this site, I'm not sure it warrants translation when the rest of the sentence explained it.

Get him!