Sending Sitcom to BBC Writersroom Page 9

Plus, a LOT of people send there, it's the big one to send to it seems. Can be hard to get noticed there.

Their window appears to be biggest for Sitcoms too! Might be 2 months (April and May) instead of one like the other windows for Drama etc., though that could just be them not knowing what month they're opening it, rather than both months.

Quote: Bonzo @ 11th January 2014, 10:30 PM GMT

I see from their website that the Writersroom is operating a different system this year, with separate genres for each submission window - Drama is up first, and Comedy follows....

Still no news though on whether they've started reading submissions from the last scriptroom; I think last time they told us when they were reading each genre, but I think it's a different team now. Has anyone heard anything directly?

I don't know about this year, but the previous time, the deadline was March 28th, 2013. Longlist emails were sent out on July 4th. That was a "you're getting feedback" or "you're getting nothing" form email.

Then we got the feedback emails on the 13th of August. Three paragraph review.

Then the 3rd of October, they sent out emails to everyone who made it through the final stage and was being invited down to the session on the 19th of November.

So it was about four and a half months from the deadline to getting any actual feedback last year. I think they've got at least slightly more scripts this time round, and the change to electronic system might mean a change of pace. So all of this info might be meaningless to you. Sorry!

Thank you! :D

I just got a very polite "No thank you" from writers room. Apparently I got passed the first 10 pages stage along with 15% of the other 2900 submissions and someone else read the rest of it...but t my script will "go no further and receive no further feedback"? . Not sure what to make of it as I thought my first 10 was the weakest part so surprised it got put trough to the next stage. was wondering whether this is just a blanket e-mail sent to all ? Did anyone else submit in December and got the same e-mail ??

Quote: Mattytheswan @ 14th February 2014, 9:05 PM GMT

I just got a very polite "No thank you" from writers room. Apparently I got passed the first 10 pages stage along with 15% of the other 2900 submissions and someone else read the rest of it...but t my script will "go no further and receive no further feedback"? . Not sure what to make of it as I thought my first 10 was the weakest part so surprised it got put trough to the next stage. was wondering whether this is just a blanket e-mail sent to all ? Did anyone else submit in December and got the same e-mail ??

Yeah I got past the first stage last time (my first time) and got that email. This time I did worse and got the email to say I didn't get to the full read.
I thought my work had improved but there you go.

I wonder whether I'm wasting my time somewhat, trying to come up with original ideas. I get the feeling they are not looking for new programming, but new writers that stand out in style and voice. I suppose I still need to improve, whatever I come up with.

But, you should be happy, Matty, being one of the 15%.

Mike.

Quote: Mattytheswan @ 14th February 2014, 9:05 PM GMT

The email I got said I didn't even get by the ten page read so well done, need to rethink my plan for comedy domination apparently!

OK, well in that case I am pleased to have at least got a full read. However, had they rejected after 10 then you at least have the comfort of thinking.."They would have loved it if only they had taken the time to read it all as 11-30 was comedy gold" .. but they didn't. They read it all and didn't think it cut the mustard. It would've been nice to know why so I know what to work on if I submit again.... I suppose they can't feed back to everyone as they got nearly 3000 scripts.
Mike, I think you are right in that they are looking more for writers to develop as opposed to new ideas. and to be honest that is what I was hoping for, I didn't think for a minute that I would get an e-mail saying they wanted to make the show. I have already re written my pilot and changed a fair bit. I gather you are not allowed to re submit the same idea though. Does anyone know how strict they are with this ? Could I change the name of the show and chance my arm?? Mike was your idea completely different to your last one.
Ian - hard luck man. Don't give up. Comedy domination will be yours...oh yes...it will be yours.

Nearly 3,000 scripts? It's amazing that so many people want to be sitcom writers.

Quote: beaky @ 15th February 2014, 12:34 PM GMT

Nearly 3,000 scripts? It's amazing that so many people want to be sitcom writers.

I Think the 3000 includes scripts for all genres not just sitcom.

(wipes brow)

It is if you have to read them all!

Quote: Mattytheswan @ 15th February 2014, 12:30 PM GMT

Mike was your idea completely different to your last one.

In actual fact I sent an hour long comedy/drama this time.
My first submission was a comedy but not straight sitcom.
I very nearly sent a different episode of the same idea (I have three written). I think this would have been OK.
What they don't want, I think, is a reworked version of a script you've already had rejected.

I sent a drama and it didn't make it past 10 pages. Bit disappointed but have licked wounds and putting it behind me now.

However, I am confused about this 'distinctive voice'. I wrote something that I'd personally enjoy watching on telly (I realise everyone likes different things), but it certainly wasn't something that's never been done before.

Anyone got any clues on what constitutes a distinctive voice?

Roll on March for the next submission window....

No idea what constitutes a distinctive voice. Its so subjective and I guess a bit of a lottery with who ends up reading it? I also think for an hour long drama, it would be harder to get a feel for that from just the first 10. I get it with Sitcom but with something like that 10 pages doesn't seem enough.
Good luck next time. Will you be writing something completely different ?

Quote: Mattytheswan @ 15th February 2014, 6:04 PM GMT

No idea what constitutes a distinctive voice. Its so subjective and I guess a bit of a lottery with who ends up reading it? I also think for an hour long drama, it would be harder to get a feel for that from just the first 10. I get it with Sitcom but with something like that 10 pages doesn't seem enough.
Good luck next time. Will you be writing something completely different ?

Thanks, I did manage to get a lot of the story into the first 10 pages, but I guess it wasn't what they wanted. My next one is a very different story and more psychological. Also planning to enter the 'comedy' window in April/May with something I already wrote (and also enter a 15 mins version of this in the Sitcom Mission - which Dan has given me some brilliant notes for) and working on a family teatime drama for the June window (they said 'children's drama/comedy' but I think that includes teatime drama too). :D