Sending Sitcom to BBC Writersroom Page 7

Well, I've submitted my script after the current window opened on Friday (21st). It might seem a little keen to send it so quickly after opening, but I'm away for the rest of October so I had little choice, other than to wait for the next.

I sent the pilot script along with a series outline with episode descriptions. They ask for 1-3 pages, but even after trimming yet keeping it readable, my outline ran to 4 1/2 pages. Hope they don't mind. :$

Anybody else sending material for this window?

Quote: Marc Thompson @ September 24 2012, 5:29 PM BST

I sent the pilot script along with a series outline with episode descriptions. They ask for 1-3 pages, but even after trimming yet keeping it readable, my outline ran to 4 1/2 pages. Hope they don't mind. :$

That might well have cost you. Shows you won't stick to a brief.

Quote: Marc Thompson @ September 24 2012, 5:29 PM BST

Well, I've submitted my script after the current window opened on Friday (21st). It might seem a little keen to send it so quickly after opening, but I'm away for the rest of October so I had little choice, other than to wait for the next.

Anybody else sending material for this window?

Jesus! Former DG of the BBC reduced to sending scripts throught the Writersroom syst....ah - Marc with a "c".

Quote: David Bussell @ September 24 2012, 6:14 PM BST

It's true. They are looking for the earliest opportunity to reject something. If you have a huge pile you need to get it reduced quickly. They don't want to sit on it.

Hmm. Got something ready to send but do I opt for the open window or The Writers Prize? I've read T/Cs carefully and cannot find anything that says I cannot enter the Writers Prize with the same work I send to the open window. Or does anybody know different?

Hi Smudger,

They said on Twitter that it needs to be two different scripts. Sorry. :(

Quote: Marc P @ September 25 2012, 10:51 AM BST

If you have a huge pile you need to get it reduced quickly. They don't want to sit on it.

Ouch! :D

Quote: Niki256 @ September 26 2012, 6:39 PM BST

Hi Smudger,

True. I was at the launch, and they said as much. They don't want to read the same script twice. Unless you change the character names, the title, and rework the plot. That might work.

Quote: Niki256 @ September 26 2012, 6:39 PM BST

Hi Smudger,

Change the title.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 24 2012, 6:14 PM BST

It won't - I went to a talk with Henry Swindells last week, he didn't realise that the Writersroom ask people to send in pitch documents/episode outlines, and said he never reads them anyway! The only thing that'll cost you is if the script isn't as good as it could be - and they put a lot of stock in the first ten pages rule.

Quote: Michael Richardson @ October 11 2012, 8:42 AM BST

I went to a talk with Henry Swindells last week

Who is Henry Swindells?

Quote: Michael Richardson @ October 11 2012, 8:42 AM BST

The only thing that'll cost you is if the script isn't as good as it could be

How much does Henry charge for these pearls of wisdom?

Quote: don rushmore @ October 11 2012, 12:53 PM BST

How much does Henry charge for these pearls of wisdom?

I think the clue is in his second name.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 11 2012, 12:56 PM BST

I think the clue is in his second name.

But are you on about Henry Tenbob Swindells or Henry Shedloads Swindells?

The first ten pages of the (old) script I sent to the BBC Writersroom, that managed to get me quite far along in the process, is available to read on my website, for anyone interested. Or wanting to take the piss at my lack of ability.

Is the narrator like Peter Jones or more like the one in Pete vs Life?

Or somebody else?