Live from Kirrin Island - call for submissions Page 4

It was a false start

Someone's been medalling with it.

Quote: Marc P @ May 25 2012, 11:37 AM BST

It was a false start

Unimpressed I wanted to see what random ramblings I'd written on the subject about half a year ago. I imagine I was full of joy and optimism

Full of something ;)

Wit and wisdom obviously

Thank you guys. Could I have my thread back pretty please :)

Thanks AJGO for highlighting some of the existing sketches. If anyone remembers writing some good stuff on the Olympics - and can find it - It might be worth a dust off.
Alison

Sorry Miss Lippy, I didn't start it. Proper question though - is the Kirrin Island stuff having to be topical too or can it be character based sketch type stuff? I have never heard NJ :(

(PS Some may already have been ... ahem.. polishing off. I think your second one could b reworked for audio AJGO https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/21840/ )

Yes - but you encouraged it didn't you. I've got my eye on you....

Good question though. NJ has the benefit and the burden of a weekly episode and so they have to be ultra topical. As Steve S has said, they have to nail the news of that week. KI Live is a news show so things must be contemporary and have a current context but the stories don't need to be breaking but still of topical interest so sketches about the coalition, Olympics, jubilee, deportation of Abu Q, euro2012, euro meltdown can all work whereas a sketch about the gunpowder plot might look out of place.
Hope that helps :)

Quote: Marc P @ May 25 2012, 1:15 PM BST

Sorry Miss Lippy, I didn't start it. Proper question though - is the Kirrin Island stuff having to be topical too or can it be character based sketch type stuff? I have never heard NJ :(

(PS Some may already have been ... ahem.. polishing off. I think your second one could b reworked for audio AJGO https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/21840/ )

Oh yeah! No wonder I couldn't find it, 'Carry the Torch' indeed.

That first of mine is actually more full of joy and optimism than the sketch I just attempted to write. I salute you all for being able to not descend into bile-filled misery.

KI is welcome to the second one if you need a small filler :)

I had forgotten about that thread.

Guys, one thing I want to do that Newsjack doesn't and that is have the writing credits read on air at the end of the show. With that in mind, if you have submitted material (or do so in due course) could you PM me with the name you would like broadcast. Clean please! The default position will be to use your BCG name - but it would be better to have proper names I'm sure.
Alison

Quote: LippyAlison @ May 11 2012, 6:40 AM BST

4: Post one sketch only as a separate thread in critique with the prefix "KI:" so we know we have your permission to edit and use the material.

I interpreted this as meaning that we're only allowed to submit one sketch each, however a couple of people have posted multiple KI sketches in critique.

Could the above rule be clarified?

Multiple entries. One thread per submission.

"I would suggest at least restricting the number of entries from each person (maybe a higher limit from your "commissioned writers" but that's up for discussion"

Thats from her blog. so think it's fine to post more than one (as I have) but maybe they'll change rules for future shows

Yes I had noticed some people had not spotted/ignored/flouted that part of the commissioning note. It was to avoid us being overwhelmed and not being able to give attention to every submission on critique. Between us we had wanted to have the courtesy of making comments, thoughts and feedback on each one posted. The one sketch rule was to ensure we could do that. For the moment, if you have more fab sketches then put them up. I shall clarify the position shortly.

I'm delighted at the response. It's made all the planning worthwhile. Incidentally we are in the process of putting together a 30secs trailer for Brooklands Radio at the moment. It's a fascinating challenge to encapsulate the essence of the show and entice people with such a short time to play with. I shall post the trailer soon.
Alison

#### UPDATE TO SKETCH SUBMISSIONS #####

I do now need to reinstate the "one sketch each" arrangement to be fair to those who are following the commissioning note - and to make sure we can give attention to those already posted. I fear also that it's encouraging some to put material up in a less polished form than appropriate if it was your best shot at getting something on a show. But there is good stuff there and I'm giving an amnesty to those who have already done so :) But I would ask please that where this is the case, (after any further tweaks or re-writes if you wish to do any) you rank your sketches according to what you think is your best offering by way of a further post on each sketch thread (eta: or on this thread as others have done if you find it easier).

Just to be clear I don't mean score each points out of ten! I mean be clear whether the sketch in that thread is ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc in order of your overall contributions. It's normal practice to top-load your best work in any submission and this achieves that with little extra effort - and will allow us to give greatest attention to those YOU think warrants it. 

If you haven't already contributed, please do. There are some great sketches appearing. And I'm pleased to say that as a consequence the very first ever Live from Kirrin Island writing credit is going to a writer of one of the sketches from critique which we chose to record for the trailer - which I expect to have completed before the end of the week. They don't know that yet and I'll announce who when I link to the trailer on this thread. They will, of course, also get a credit at the end of the show.

Once we're on top of these contributions, there might be one further window in the lead up to the show for one sketch submission if you spot emerging news to write a sketch on. Or you already have a better idea than one of the sketches you submitted - as often happens :)

Alison.