Very Important People Page 2

Good performers, poor material seems to be a critique of sketch shows one hears more and more often.

Quote: sootyj @ April 30 2012, 12:11 PM BST

Good performers, poor material seems to be a critique of sketch shows one hears more and more often.

I was just thinking that. Where have all the good sketch writers gone?

Quote: jhmagic1 @ April 28 2012, 5:19 PM BST

... Jon Culshaw's Brian Cox blows theirs out of the water, but that impression of Terry Wogan is more like an old Alan Partridge!

Their impression of Brian Cox struck me as them doing an impression of Culshaw doing an impression of Brian Cox. Neither have nailed him. Lewis McLeod (of Newsjack fame) is a lot nearer. Speaking of which, Lewis has Terry Wogan *so* nailed that it's difficult to be impressed by any other attempts at Terry Wogan.

That said, I liked this show. Made me laugh a lot in parts, especially thought that

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ April 28 2012, 9:15 PM BST

The Gordon Ramsay & Attenborough were brilliant.

Ramsay in particular I was disappointed didn't appear in any other sketches. Attenborough was pretty nailed on though, particularly as it stayed quite subtle, rather than an OTT exaggeration.

The Adele sketch and the Owen Wilson/Jen Aniston 'generic film' sketch hit all the right marks, and Fern was spot on too.

I'll keep watching though. Liked.

Dan

I do think that Morgana Robinson makes a much sexier Fearne Cotton than Fearne Cotton does.

Quote: swerytd @ April 30 2012, 2:40 PM BST

Their impression of Brian Cox struck me as them doing an impression of Culshaw doing an impression of Brian Cox. Neither have nailed him.

Ooh er!

Peter Serafinowicz does the best Wogan.
Steve Coogan's is excellent as well

Quote: DougWonnacott @ April 30 2012, 12:51 PM BST

I was just thinking that. Where have all the good sketch writers gone?

They'll be ever writing stuff for Horrible Histories, Radio 4 or their trying to make their own sitcoms.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ April 30 2012, 4:02 PM BST

Peter Serafinowicz does the best Wogan.
Steve Coogan's is excellent as well

Serafinowicz's Wogan is brilliant, it's funny actually that his sketch with Wogan in it included the use of Jamaican slang as well, maybe impressionists tend to slip into Jamaican accents when doing Wogan impersonations and so incorporate in...or maybe it's just a coincidence.

I think Brian Cox impersonations tend to exaggerate his accent a bit much and this is why it doesn't sound natural.

I like Rob Brydon's Wogan.

Apart from Fearne Cotton, who Morgana is the duplicate of with that blonde wig, the impressions are rather caricature, I felt. That is, they've not gone for - or at least certainly not achieved - pinpoint accuracy, in either appearance or voice, but they've thrown just enough in there that the person is recognisable in their setting. Very Spitting Image in that respect.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ April 30 2012, 6:17 PM BST

They'll be ever writing stuff for Horrible Histories, Radio 4 or their trying to make their own sitcoms.

Yes, I'd forgotten about Horrible Histories. Two Episodes of MASH was a good, well written sketch show on Radio 4 fairly recently.

Quote: Aaron @ May 1 2012, 1:52 AM BST

Apart from Fearne Cotton, who Morgana is the duplicate of with that blonde wig, the impressions are rather caricature, I felt. That is, they've not gone for - or at least certainly not achieved - pinpoint accuracy, in either appearance or voice, but they've thrown just enough in there that the person is recognisable in their setting. Very Spitting Image in that respect.

I couldn't tell if they were delibratly going for caricature of if that was just how it ended up. Perhaps some of the sketches were written specifically for impressions the two of them can do well. Others were just written with a particular celebrity in mind that Robinson and Mynott then had to try and learn how to impersonate (with mixed results). I can't decide whether I want to bother watching the next episode or not.

The impressions aren't all that great and some concepts were not very polished. I found the Frankie Boyle one so boring. But the show on the whole was quite entertaining, I think Morgana is really talented and I'm hoping they fix up the writing a bit for future episodes.

Just watching now.
Bear Grylls is uncanny.

Blimey, that Sophie Dahl sketch was... special.
As was the scary Dragon's Den bit. Eep.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ May 1 2012, 9:37 AM BST

Yes, I'd forgotten about Horrible Histories. Two Episodes of MASH was a good, well written sketch show on Radio 4 fairly recently.

I think Two Episodes of MASH was on Radio 2.

Last night's episodes was pretty mixed, but on the whole I'm enjoying this show.