10 O'Clock Live - Series 2 Page 4

Quote: Lindyloop @ February 16 2012, 9:25 PM GMT

Agreed. That was brilliant. Charlie's bit at the desk is always a highlight (despite my feelings that he could just do a new series of Newswipe and do the same thing).

I've always wondered about that. Was this the reason he didn't do any new series of Newswipe? If that's so then I'm cross.

Quote: Bob Hicks @ February 16 2012, 10:52 AM GMT

Mr Brooker's poetry slam on The Sun was awesome.

I concur. Great writing and performance.

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ February 16 2012, 10:44 PM GMT

I've always wondered about that. Was this the reason he didn't do any new series of Newswipe? If that's so then I'm cross.

I suspect it was due to this, Black Mirror and A Touch Of Cloth taking up all of his time.

Regarding his Sun bit, it was very clever and very funny, but I felt it ended really abruptly. It seemed like it should have been in the middle of a longer rant, and that there were still more points he could and should have made, and had even perhaps hinted toward at the beginning of the piece.

Anyway.

Didn't he impregnate his wife too? He's a very busy man.

Sounds possible.

Quote: Aaron @ February 17 2012, 12:19 AM GMT

Regarding his Sun bit, it was very clever and very funny, but I felt it ended really abruptly. It seemed like it should have been in the middle of a longer rant, and that there were still more points he could and should have made, and had even perhaps hinted toward at the beginning of the piece.

It could have taken on more prisoners but that might have made the rant too long and/or maybe there is only so much you can attack while using ryhme as a means to be funny?

For me it worked very well and had a nice balance of humour and satire :)

I felt he should have carried on (or perhaps rather, discussed not listed) after the rhyme, certainly not that it should or could have been longer.

I'm all for finding positives in the show, but one half decent Brooker rant does not an hour long programme make.

If Channel 4 want to make an alternative Question Time, then by all means, go the whole hog and have more politicians and questions from the audience. The current 10 O'Clock Live format is too wishy washy and unfocused.

Compared to the brilliant Daily Show With Jon Stewart, this is incredibly dumbed down and bland. (oh and f**k you Channel 4 for taking that show off the air as soon as you announced 10 O'Clock Live, you twunt monkeys).

Finally, if you are going to have round table debate amongst the hosts, at least have one host with an alternative view to the alternative view. It's like watching some Islington wanker's dinner party conversation.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2012, 1:36 PM GMT

Finally, if you are going to have round table debate amongst the hosts, at least have one host with an alternative view to the alternative view. It's like watching some Islington wanker's dinner party conversation.

I thought they made quite an effort with that this week. Two of them were pointing out the good things about The Sun, for example.

Actually, now you bring it up RC, I thought serving the bourgelais with the camembert was a mistake. Brie or syrah next time please dahling

Quote: zooo @ February 17 2012, 1:51 PM GMT

I thought they made quite an effort with that this week. Two of them were pointing out the good things about The Sun, for example.

Only in the most apologetic, please don't take away my WWF stuffed panda, I only buy fair trade, must put out the recycling, mealy mouthed left whinger, type way.

Plus, they're all on the 'journalist' payroll and know that the broadsheets they write for are just as guilty as the Sun when it comes to dodgy doings.

Quote: AJGO @ February 17 2012, 2:03 PM GMT

Actually, now you bring it up RC, I thought serving the bourgelais with the camembert was a mistake. Brie or syrah next time please dahling

I've only got Frazzles and Tesco Vodka. :(

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 17 2012, 2:12 PM GMT

I've only got Frazzles and Tesco Vodka. :(

Your facade is fooling no-one dear, only the leftiest right-on-er could possibly be as guilt-ridden about being a lefty right-on-er and so feel the need to cover it up with all your anger ;)

I'm loving the series so far. Much slicker and more confident than the first outing. There are weak spots, such as Jimmy Carr's forays into physical comedy (stick to telling rape jokes in a suit you idiot) and whenever Lauren Thingy opens her mouth, but overall I think it hangs together very well.

This is a show that brings together one of the funniest standups in the country, one of the funniest comic actors in the country and one of the funniest polemicists in the country. And some eye candy. How could it fail to be funny?

Quote: Aaron @ February 17 2012, 12:19 AM GMT

I suspect it was due to this, Black Mirror and A Touch Of Cloth taking up all of his time.

Ah, that's alright then because Black Mirror was awesome.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 17 2012, 3:01 PM GMT

This is a show that brings together one of the funniest standups in the country, one of the funniest comic actors in the country and one of the funniest polemicists in the country. And some eye candy. How could it fail to be funny?

Quite easily.

If Channel 4 want to make an alternative Question Time, then by all means, go the whole hog and have more politicians and questions from the audience. The current 10 O'Clock Live format is too wishy washy and unfocused.

I wish it was more off a Real Time with Bill Maher type show, i.e only a round table discussion.

Getting Alistair Campbell to sit down with them for a bit last week was an excellent move I thought? He's not exactly the polar opposite of the standard C4 viewpoint, but he's different enough, and very happy to get into an argument. I was very disappointed to see they didn't have another "guest panellist" this week.

I guess the problem is in the fact that C4 have a target audience (and a studio audience) that they believe has a certain political viewpoint, along with no license-fee-based requirement for neutrality. I agree with you, but I can see why C4 might not.