10 O'Clock Live - Series 2

Really enjoyed the last series, so I thought I'd kick off the thread.

Even though the new series is two days away, can I be the first to say -

'Aw Gawd bless Lauren, she does try her best. I really like her in other things and think she is a great presenter, but...'

Wednesday does seem an odd night for the topical stories of the week.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 6 2012, 9:28 PM GMT

Even though the new series is two days away, can I be the first to say -

'Aw Gawd bless Lauren, she does try her best. I really like her in other things and think she is a great presenter, but...'

:D

Looking forward to it. Hopefully they've edited the dross out of the first series hour editions. Oh, she's still in it...

From what I saw of last series, Jimmy Carr wasn't exactly great in it.
Brooker was good though.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 6 2012, 9:34 PM GMT

In fairness, from what I saw of last series, Jimmy Carr wasn't exactly great in it.

I think his Princess Diana in heaven skit forgave any previous sins, it was one of the highlights of the last series.

I've high hopes for Series 2. It's good to hear the producers say that they realise Series 1 had flaws, and they've learnt from them.

From Broadcast mag:

"It was so heavily formatted that we needed to crunch through every item every week. But now we'll be slightly more fluid and draw on things as and when necessary. It won't feel quite as full-on in that 45-minute slot."

"We've got these four brilliant, very different talents and we want to feature more of them interacting - and doing so spontaneously. They bonded incredibly well last series, but they had so many individual ring-fenced items. It felt like we didn't have an opportunity to show them together enough."

On the cutting short of interviews:

"You want to leave people wanting more, but not when you've just reached a fascinating, salient point in an interview. So the hope is we won't be in that situation again."

On the liberal bias:

"I think the perceived bias was made worse by an apparent skew in the audience at times, which is something we're addressing."

Pleasing to see them mention the things that most of the audience at home have been saying needed addressing.

Ooh, sounds promising!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 6 2012, 9:34 PM GMT

From what I saw of last series, Jimmy Carr wasn't exactly great in it.

Are you feeling okay Stotty?

Quote: Mark @ February 7 2012, 1:00 PM GMT

Pleasing to see them mention the things that most of the audience at home have been saying needed addressing.

I must admit that I found the audience the worst bit about the whole first series. Bunch of fickle headed giggle twits.

'Yes, that's right Charlie Brooker, mob rule is disgusting and wrong!' bayed the mob. 'Can you bring out some Bankers and Fox Hunters for our 10 minute hate?'

Unimpressed

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 6 2012, 9:28 PM GMT

Wednesday does seem an odd night for the topical stories of the week.

I believe the move to Wednesday is because previously it clashed with Question Time. This way it gets a bigger audience share and more Twitter coverage.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 8 2012, 7:28 PM GMT

I believe the move to Wednesday is because previously it clashed with Question Time. This way it gets a bigger audience share and more Twitter coverage.

Good insight Ian, cheers.

I had no idea broadcasters were scheduling TV around Twitter hashtags.

Do you have any links to articles that analyse this trend? I'd be interested in reading more.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 8 2012, 7:28 PM GMT

It's also because of Jay bloody Hunt - who was also responsible for shifting HIGNFY to Thursdays - and her failure to grasp that satire simply doesn't work when aired midweek.

I wonder if there have been any interesting late-breaking news stories for them to cover?

Here we go then...

Well this series has been just as disappointing as the last.
What is the point of Lauren Laverne, & Jimmy Carr seems out of place.
We just can't do Satire as well as the Americans (see the Daily show.)
They should get rid of the other two & just have Charlie Brooker & David Mitchell. Who aren't as good in this as they are in other things.

(Well it worked on the Noel Fielding thread)

:D

Some good laughs so far from Jimmy & Charlie.