10 O'Clock Live - Series 2 Page 2

I'm enjoying it so far.

It's been a dry year for Comedy & we're all very thirsty.

It might go down better this year, the timing is impeccable.

I like the idea of football being replaced with netball.

Or Countdown!

I've been watching a few episodes of Countdown since Hewer took over.
They weren't veery good at maths today, only one numbers game out of three correct between them.

Back on topic

That reminds me, I used to do that a lot during the first series, start watching & then do other things & almost forget it was on.

I quite like it though & enjoyed listening to it back on the podcasts

Aww. Maybe the studio is chilly.

Well, I've quite enjoyed this episode!

Hmm, not exactly a triumphant return, a couple of nice gags but no real satrical bite.

Queen Bashing
Banker Bashing
Football Bashing

Way to go on curbing liberal bias guys, you bunch of Guardian eating museli shaggers.

On the plus side, it was so laugh light this evening that it made Lauren look good. I even liked her dog microchips / oven chips gag, which everyone else ignored.

Must try harder Channel 4, not impressed.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 8 2012, 10:57 PM GMT

Guardian eating museli shaggers.

Brilliant insult.

Sorry, off topic.

I really want this to be better than it actually is. I thought they would iron out some of the issues from last year but it seems not. Don't get me wrong- I enjoy it, but like others have said it lacks satirical bite. Strangely, I think it would do better with decent editing although I can see why it is live. I usually adore David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker. Yeah, enjoyable but still not quite there.

Well, I really enjoyed it. Delighted that they actually did manage to remove so much of the left-wing baying bias - I daresay that hiring the former editor of Question Time, Ed Havard, the show this is trying to be an alternative to, helped more than a little in hitting the balance.

Ok, so it's still not perfect. And to some extent I agree with the above that comments that it's still lacking a bit of bite; but IMO they turned the show around completely.

Really pleased that they had some actual proper discussions, and that they weren't mercilessly cut off just when things got interesting. I don't quite know how they managed to squeeze so much in: everything (apart from the Mitchell interview - good move) from Series 1 seemed to have been kept, and yet they did it so much better and for longer, with only 5 minutes less run time.

On the Laverne 'issue', with the format more like this, she does actually have some use. She was totally and completely surplus to requirements last series, but I felt her presence really worked tonight - and it was a real relief to see someone putting that side of the bankers' argument for once.

It could all go to shit next week of course, but for now I'm really pleased with the changes they've made. Funny, interesting, and - whilst not entirely without bias - far more balanced. Well done all.

Had a good think about why 10 O'Clock Live seemed a bit lacklustre last night and then it hit me. It's the slight changes to the format.

Previously, Brooker, Mitchell and Carr had very individual and competing spots on the show. As a result, each one tried to out-do each other in the comedy stakes. Brooker and Mitchell would have a rant off and Carr would pull out the shock guns to try and eclipse them both.

Now that it's more inclusive and chatty, the dynamic has changed and the new friendly and relaxed atmosphere is far too chummy and dull. The reason the show lacks bite is because it lacks competition and aggression between the lads.

Last night felt a bit forced and false - as if Brooker, Mitchell and Carr couldn't commit emotionally to the subjects brought up.

Just some thoughts.

I thought it was elevator comedy, a light entertainment muzak. It took me from locking up to going to bed nicely enough, and made me smile a few times, but it was completely unmemorable.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 9 2012, 10:35 AM GMT

Now that it's more inclusive and chatty, the dynamic has changed and the new friendly and relaxed atmosphere is far too chummy and dull. The reason the show lacks bite is because it lacks competition and aggression between the lads.

It's essentially the Top Gear "News" section stretched out over an whole programme. Carr as Clarkson, Brooker as May, Mitchell as Hammond, Laverne as a Star in a Reasonably Priced Dress. Carr's opening monologue was terrible: what's the expression and hand spread he makes after every punchline (and I realise that "punchline" implies "joke", but you know what I mean)? Why is Brooker spreading his hands as well?