Racism Page 4

Quote: zooo @ January 7 2012, 11:32 PM GMT

I have never been to a football match in my life, but I have somehow got the idea from various places (not sure where) that people shout racist stuff quite often. Is it not as widespread as I think it is?

Depends on the club, but even the worst case is very rare, proportionately, against the 70s or 80s incidents that are likely to show up in dramas.

Ah, that's good news.

Racism in football is quite common in other countries, such as those in central and eastern Europe.

I think the reason we're seeing a resurgence here is because of all the f**king Polacks that we've got now.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 7 2012, 9:09 PM GMT

http://dailybunny.org/ is better. :P

Second row on the left looks likes General Woundwort.

Quote: Badge @ January 7 2012, 11:19 PM GMT

Unfortunately, this is the inevitable consequence of LFC's actions over Suarez. If you make mental statements that effectively condone racist language, yet accept that he used racist language, but then pretend it wasn't all that bad really, then you look like a club that thinks racism is no big deal. Kenny Dalglish should be very ashamed.

That explains it.
I've been ever so racist recently & I couldn't quite figure out why.
Turns out I'm a Liverpool fan.
It's all Kennys fault, the Scotch bastard

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ January 8 2012, 12:26 AM GMT

That explains it.
I've been ever so racist recently & I couldn't quite figure out why.
Turns out I'm a Liverpool fan.
It's all Kennys fault, the Scotch bastard

:D
Don't worry Steve, you're not really one of those vile creatures. A Liverpool fan.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Badge @ January 7 2012, 11:32 PM GMT

Maybe. But they should also acknowledge the atmosphere of us-and-them that LFC have deliberately cultivated.

It was one 20-year-old fan who shouted the abuse, but you seem to be blaming everyone involved with the club.

Quote: catskillz @ January 8 2012, 12:56 AM GMT

It was one 20-year-old fan who shouted the abuse, but you seem to be blaming everyone involved with the club.

I am not blaming anyone at LFC for them having a 20 year old racist, alleged or otherwise. I am just pointing out that LFC's actions in defending racist behaviour [a) make them look like total knobs and (b) could be taken by a racist fan to confirm that this sort of thing is actually alright, really.

I only saw the Suarez clip a couple of days ago, and he does seem to be touching the Utd player's skin and saying something about it. How was the abuse actually proven though? Did they use lip-readers?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 7 2012, 12:45 PM GMT

The Racist Tram Lady from Croydon yelling 'You're not English' is not in itself racist. The fact she singled out her victims based on skin colour alone, makes her racist.

Very true. Britain is in a strange situation right now where there is a problem with prejudicial accusation of racism. 'You're not English' is the sort of thing a racist might say, but to condemn someone as racist for saying it is itself an act of prejudice.

I don't think that's what the football fan was shouting...

Quote: catskillz @ January 8 2012, 1:10 AM GMT

I only saw the Suarez clip a couple of days ago, and he does seem to be touching the Utd player's skin and saying something about it. How was the abuse actually proven though? Did they use lip-readers?

It wasn't. It came down to the fact that the FA panel decided that Evra's account of what happened was more believable and better presented that Suarez's.

Suarez also probably made a mistake in admitting saying "Porque, Negro?", which in Spanish has roughly the same context as you or I saying "Why, mate?" when someone threatens to kick you.

Those two reasons are primarily why Liverpool have chosen to stand behind Suarez and continue to support him - because they believe the judgement was extremely unfair, has convicted Suarez of 7 uses of the 6-letter n-word that is very offensive in English despite no evidence, and that they were looking to do so from the second they chose to bring charges against him.

NOT, as Badge has quite ridiculously suggested, because Liverpool is a racist club, who support racism.

I don't think Badge was suggesting that Liverpool is a racist club, whatever that would actually involve. But that by seemingly going on a crusade to make it an 'us and them' argument with those t-shirts would certainly appeal to the mindset of those supporters that are racist and think it's a bit of a laugh or political correctness gone mad (supporters that sadly exist at all clubs but that haven't been indirectly encouraged to misinterpret a club's stance on rasicm).

Quote: AJGO @ January 8 2012, 4:21 PM GMT

I don't think Badge was suggesting that Liverpool is a racist club, whatever that would actually involve. But that by seemingly going on a crusade to make it an 'us and them' argument with those t-shirts would certainly appeal to the mindset of those supporters that are racist and think it's a bit of a laugh or political correctness gone mad (supporters that sadly exist at all clubs but that haven't been indirectly encouraged to misinterpret a club's stance on rasicm).

Yep.

The FA verdict is quite damning, by the way. If Liverpool thought they had a decent case they would surely have appealed.