Racism

Is it hard to define?
What are your views on Racism?
As long as we have people of different cultures it will probably always exist in one form or another.
Where do you draw the line, and what punishments are appropriate?

*Flees from gushing water bursting through floodgates*

Whistling nnocently

Sometimes all it needs is a sensible discussion.
Which is why the BCG is the best place.
We already solved religion.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ January 7 2012, 3:22 AM GMT

It's the nation's favourite -ism! It takes precedence over all the other -isms.

If an elderly black woman is murdered, we only ask if it was a rac-ist attack; we don't care if it was age-ist or sex-ist. We only worry if the attacker was rac-ist.
Unless of course, she was murdered by Tim Walker, because he's a known anesthet-ist.

I think otters are racist, and don't even mention the bigoted squirrels.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ January 7 2012, 3:34 AM GMT

Sometimes all it needs is a SENSIBLE discussion.
Which is why the BCG is the best place.

Since when?!!!!

Was there a meeting? Were there biscuits?

Smarmy ;)

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ January 7 2012, 3:22 AM GMT

Is it hard to define?
As long as we have people of different cultures it will probably always exist in one form or another.

Yes, I doubt it will ever go away, even after every country on Earth has been forced to have a mixed, cosmopolitan make up. The purpose behind this ultra Liberal idea is to make us more amiable to one another, make racial difference less of an issue, to hopefully make familiarity breed friendship and banish negative stereotyping.

I'd say it has done this in many areas, with many liberated people, for sure, but in other areas and with less willing or open people, it has caused much harm, social upheaval, social tension that never existed before, esxtreme anger and hostility and a lot of worry. In Norway, it caused a psychopathic murder spree. So, Racism and race 'integration' is a very hot potato and it will be for some time yet.

One very interesting offshoot we've seen on the news this week is a new political exploitation of condemning racism against 'whites', something the liberals hadn't really bargained for when they made racism into the big bad monster, but logically, have no answer for. The right have seized on this logical flaw to start fighting back against the tide. Dianne Abbott was naive beyond belief to think there wouldn't be some old guard types just waiting to snare one of their leaders in a trap.

The only thing I hate more than racists are all those bloody Indians.

I'm quite fond of people who train their dogs to bark at black people. It's a more cheeky lighthearted form of racism.

Unfortunately, racism has become a catch all phrase for any sort of discrimination. Prejudice, bigotry and intolerance are now all labelled as racism, even though race has nothing to do with it.

If I made a scathing remark about the Polish, I am not being racist as I am from the same white, Northern European race.

If I make a bad taste joke about Muslims or Nigerians or Gypsies which had nothing to do with the colour of their skin, I would certainly be culturally insensitive, but I wouldn't be racist.

However yelling racist is more effective then yelling fire or rape, so it's the first gun in the arsenal for attacking someone you don't agree with.

The Racist Tram Lady from Croydon yelling 'You're not English' is not in itself racist. The fact she singled out her victims based on skin colour alone, makes her racist.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 7 2012, 9:43 AM GMT

The only thing I hate more than racists are all those bloody Indians.

And the Dutch - Austin Powers.

Racism is only acceptable nowadays in appropriate circumstances, such as football games, convenience stores and cotton farms.

Has the media started reporting things differently or has everyone recently got well racist? I can't remember this many stories or incidents in such a short space of time.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 7 2012, 12:45 PM GMT

Unfortunately, racism has become a catch all phrase for any sort of discrimination. Prejudice, bigotry and intolerance are now all labelled as racism, even though race has nothing to do with it.

Exactly.

Quote: AJGO @ January 7 2012, 6:43 PM GMT

Has the media started reporting things differently or has everyone recently got well racist? I can't remember this many stories or incidents in such a short space of time.

Governments love to have stories like this in the news because they take the focus off their own, more important problems.

Quote: AJGO @ January 7 2012, 6:43 PM GMT

I think different things become 'popular' for the papers to report. Every day there's some c**t killing/microwaving/drowning a cat at the moment, whereas stories like that used to be very rare.

Quote: zooo @ January 7 2012, 6:50 PM GMT

Every day there's some c**t killing/microwaving/drowning a cat at the moment, whereas stories like that used to be very rare.

Racists.