Newsjack - Series 6 Page 18

Fun episode. Favourite was the Hitler sketch (even if I did miss the news story it is based on.) Well done all.

mine was the The Artist correction

Well that was interesting - I'm wondering whether to claim a triple

(1) Professor Brian Cox explains The Sun on Sunday.

(2) Correction - Premiership title race/Title premier racist (although they swapped John Terry to Luis Suarez)

That's two, that's safe.

But then on 8 March I had this beauty as well in the JackApps

"Hello - this is the operator. I have Bob Diamond on the line - Will you accept the charges?"

which made it to the broadcast.

So... if swapping JT to Suarez is still my gag, swapping Bob Diamond to Greece - surely still my gag?

I guess we all had a Haye in a stack of needles gag? Mine was "Finding news stories to satirise this week has been like looking for David Haye in a needle scrap".

Oh - I also used to have a dog called Zigi.

Anyhow - I thought it was one of the better shows. I loved the teenager on sound effects - very clever and excellent thought.

yeah teen on FX was very good concept

Thought I only had a one-liner (Alex Salmond/Whitney Houston) because I missed first minute of show, durrrr. Listened to start just now and have a one liner about doctors/alcohol laws too, hurrah. Still no sketches though. Bit annoying when you are sure your take on the subject was stronger. So it goes (bows head, says some wise phrase in Arabic).

Quote: Big Jack @ February 24 2012, 12:02 AM GMT

But then on 8 March I had this beauty as well in the JackApps

"Hello - this is the operator. I have Bob Diamond on the line - Will you accept the charges?"

which made it to the broadcast.

So... if swapping JT to Suarez is still my gag, swapping Bob Diamond to Greece - surely still my gag?

Big Jack are you saying you sent it in for a previous series (I guess series 4)? It's almost certainly someone else's credit then but it is rather odd the same joke is used twice.
(Should clarify not saying there is plagirism afoot, just a case of great minds often think alike)

Mine was the Iran Jack-App. I wrote it as a short sketch but they used it as a long Jack-App and think it worked!

Just got the "we recorded your stuff" email from Ed Morrish. Faith in own work restored.

Quote: Kevin Mears @ February 24 2012, 12:41 PM GMT

Just got the "we recorded your stuff" email from Ed Morrish. Faith in own work restored.

It some ways that is the most painful e-mail to get. But does mean the BBC liked your stuff!

Spitball time:

Given that:

a) some sketches that get rejected are undoubtedly much stronger than those that get aired... and
b) topical radio comedy like Newsjack is as far as I can tell very popular but in short supply...

...if you had enough time you could almost produce your own comedy podcast, using the open-door policy. It wouldn't be as professional in some ways (the cast of Newsjack obv being brilliant professionals, plus technical people) but raw sometimes works too (eg Clerks).

And as I say, there do appear to be a bit of an 'ole as far as this kind of thing goes. Some smattering of interest from the public and you could possibly get a bit of sponsorship from a firm to do it properly.

In any case, you could try it for a one-off (olympic special or whatever) and I believe distribute on itunes? Some killer social media strat obv needed for it to be visible.

My point is that writers do spend a shedload of their lives holding out their caps hopefully to the BBC, but that now in the digital age, if the writer is really good, they can broadcast themselves. A lot of us are chasing a few golden slots. Seems a waste...

And breathe.

Trevor

Quote: Kevin Mears @ February 24 2012, 12:41 PM GMT

I also got the 'almost' email. Bit annoying because I was due to go to that recording but didn't. Can't help but feel an unusually ridiculous laugh from me may have bumped it up. Alas, I'm still happy that I can at least write (apparently!)

Quote: StephenM @ February 24 2012, 12:17 PM GMT

Big Jack are you saying you sent it in for a previous series (I guess series 4)? It's almost certainly someone else's credit then but it is rather odd the same joke is used twice.

Yes - series 4 episode 5.

Thanks for the nice comments. Not sure whether 6/6 indicates great success or lack of progression, but I'm still going.

Still no sketches, though. My app this week was the underwear bomber losing his court case cos he needed a better brief. I hope you all groaned!

Good show this week I thought. Well done all.

And on the subject of real names, this isn't me. The age is wrong. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-17151495

Quote: Badge @ February 24 2012, 3:03 PM GMT

My app this week was the underwear bomber losing his court case cos he needed a better brief. I hope you all groaned!

Oh yes! :)

Still no sketches, though. My app this week was the underwear bomber losing his court case cos he needed a better brief. I hope you all groaned!

I groaned - but mainly because I also submitted an underwear bomber one-liner:

"Is that a bomb in your underpants, or are you just pleased to see me? Oh crikey - it is a bomb!"

The age is wrong.

These journalists never get anything right.