The Sitcom Trials 2012 Page 33

Yup, having seemingly written a 'Marmite' script, I shall be re-writing King Chicken without the audience participation and re-entering it in the future; I've also taken other comments on board with regards to a newer script for next time. Still watching to see if by any miracle I scraped into the last 8 though:)

I wonder which scripts were chosen...seems to be takin ages!

And the finalists are...

Quote: Spankmeister @ November 19 2012, 6:29 PM GMT

I wonder which scripts were chosen...seems to be takin ages!

Yeah, yeah, I'm doing it, I'm doing it. The final five sitcoms going into the Sci Fi Sitcom Trials on Nov 28th are:

Alice and the Genie
Burrax: Bringer Of Desserts
Event Horizon Crescent
Not From Round Here
Starship Impossible

Congratulations to all those successful writers, who may feel free to contact me now for their freebie tickets (+1) to the show. Commiserations to the writers whose scripts ended up not being chosen this time.

Here were the 8 scripts read at the table reading on Sunday and the votes cast by the directors and actors based on how well the scripts sounded.

Alice/Genie. Yes 8 maybe 1 no 0 total 17
Burrax Bringer of desserts Yes 5 maybe 3 no 0 total 13
Event Horizon Yes 5 maybe 3 No 1 total 12
Not from round here Yes 4 Maybe 3 No 1 total 10
Starship Impossible Yes 3 maybe 3 no 3 total 6
Space vets yes 1 maybe 4 no 2 total 4
FaceTime Yes 0 Maybe 4 no 4 total 0
Chimps Yes 0 maybe 4 No 5 total -1

I realise the verdicts reached by people hearing a script read around a table by actors can, and in this case do, vary wildly from the consensus reached by people reading the scripts on the page. I would defend these conclusions as they are based on a judgement of something much closer to how a performed version will come across than otherwise is possible, but I bet I'd feel disgruntled if I was the author of online favourite FaceTime.

So, we have the line-up for the Sci Fi Sitcom Trials. Who's coming?

Kev F

Congrats to the five going through from what is a pretty tough comp. And especially to Neil (Alice and the Genie) who has come so close to getting through more than once in previous Trials.

Alan

Yes, as the writer of Face-Time I am slightly aggrieved, but hey ho.

Brian Teles

Quote: Brian Teles @ November 19 2012, 9:30 PM GMT

Yes, as the writer of Face-Time I am slightly aggrieved, but hey ho.

Brian Teles

If anybody's not been following this on both forums, it has a happy ending: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/message/11052

Thanks Alan, very nice of you to say.

Unbelievably chuffed about this. Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank m'colleague at Kirrin Island, the excellent Dan Sweryt for reading several drafts and pointing out the numerous stupid/boring/illogical bits.

Congratulations to others who got through and commiserations to those who didn't, particularly Brian.
Neil

Congrats to those writers who've got thru to the live show. Can I just say I'm stunned Facetime wasn't chosen. I gave it a YES as I thought it was the best of the lot. I'd be well cheesed off if I was the writer.

Quote: Trinder @ November 20 2012, 6:49 AM GMT

Unbelievably chuffed about this. Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank m'colleague at Kirrin Island, the excellent Dan Sweryt for reading several drafts and pointing out the numerous stupid/boring/illogical bits.

Jeez, you should all have read the first draft: dancing girls, camp bodybuilders and a gerontophile polar bear, for Christ's sake! Lucky escape for you lot...

Dan

If anyone would like to see the complete table of votes in the Sci Fi Sitcom Trials, it's here in the files: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/files/Sitcom%20Trials%20SF%20Special%202012/

Vince writes:

Hello!

Just to let you know that the next meeting of the Bristol Sitcom Trials will be this Sunday at the Oxford pub, Oxford Street, Totterdown, Bristol, at roughly 3pm. I say roughly because this eccentric boozer has its own special relationship with time, and you never know when it'll open its doors. I keep telling the landlord we'll be meeting, and receive enthusiastic assurances that yes, we'll be able to get in, but many's the time I've been stood outside the locked doors, in the rain, musing on why author Raymond Chandler never bothered to explain who bumped-off the ill-fated chauffeur in "The Big Sleep", his seminal detective book from 1939.

At the meeting we'll be reading a few archive Sitcom Trials scripts to get us all back in the groove, discussing plans for the next show (Friday Feb 22nd at the Wardrobe Theatre) and beyond, and we'll also try to definitively sort out a date for the Christmas Party thing, hopefully without it coming to blows.

Please do come along if you've the afternoon free,

Belated congrats to all the winning scripts! Especially those being performed at Manchester or Bristol.

The Sitcom Trials Sci Fi Special takes place at the Camden Head, 100 Camden High Street, London NW1 0LU at Weds 28th November - book now to avoid disappointment!*

5 sitcoms compete head to head, the audience vote for their favourite, only one can win. And this week the theme is Science Fiction. Have we found the new Red Dwarf? The new 3rd Rock From The Sun? The new Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy? Only You Can Decide.

The five competing sitcoms are
Alice and the Genie by Neil Tollfree, directed by Chris Fitchew
The Bringer Of Desserts by anon, directed by Nick Ewans
Event Horizon Crescent By Jeremy Limb, directed by Louisa Gummer
Not From Round Here by Ben Lawler, directed by Sarit Chen
Starship Impossible written & directed by Myles McLeod

There's also the chance for the audience to win prizes by coming up with their own sitcom ideas in The Sitcom Trials Pitch Fest. Tickets for the show are only £3, doors open 7.30pm.

Writers, performers and sitcom fans can keep in touch with the Sitcom Trials at sitcomtrials.co.uk and on Facebook. And make yourself known at the show, you're always welcome. Retweet this: http://tinyurl.com/SFsitcom

The Sitcom Trials Sci Fi Special
Weds Nov 28th, 7.30pm doors
The Camden Head, 100 Camden High Street Camden London NW1 0LU Phone: 02074854019
Tickets £3, book now*.

* NB: At time of posting I see the ticket booking link isn't active. Stay tuned for updates (or turn up early and be sure of getting in)

Quote: Kev F @ November 21 2012, 6:00 PM GMT

(Can we just check this isn't a spam post to sell an Audi?)

And it would seem that at this Wednesday's Sitcom Trials every one of the writers will be represented. Neil Tollfree is the only writer who can't make it in person but has sent two friends in his stead; the other 4 writers are all there with their plus ones, and Myles McLoed is even bringing his own cast. So, with the directors, that's the room a third filled before we sell a single ticket.

Turn up early to be sure of squeezing in, everyone, still only three quid a ticket. (Online booking still seems not to be working, but do keep trying at: http://www.camdenhead.com/events/eventdetails/28-nov-12-the-sitcom-trials--sci-f-special-camden-head/)

Kev F
The Sitcom Trials