The Sitcom Trials 2012 Page 34

Quote: Kev F @ November 19 2012, 10:36 PM GMT

If anybody's not been following this on both forums, it has a happy ending: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/message/11052

Yes, we read "Face-Time" today, at a rather nattily dressed meeting of the Bristol Sitcom Trials, where we discussed (amongst other things) the weather; actors from "It 'Aint Half Hot Mum"; the weather; why Macbeth is a sitcom character if you stop to really think about it; the weather; exciting plans for the future, some of them possibly involving more fine clothing; the weather; and how a performance of a kind of Gordon Ramsey-type character can easily become something uncomfortably close to Jimmy Savile. But mainly the weather.

Could Brian Teles please drop me a private message/email?

Meantime, London: the Sci-Fi Sitcom Trials on Weds. Gotta be worth your three Earth pounds.

Wonders will never cease. Not only did I get to a Sitcom Trials Bristol meeting today (at which we learned why Face Time looked better on paper than when it's read out, and discussed plans for next year), but Vince gave me the precious tape that's been waiting nearly 6 months to be edited and uploaded. And now here it is. The video of the Bristol Sitcom Trials from June 2012, hosted by James Dowdeswell. I wasn't even there and I think it's bloody good...

Read the full details of the show here, and a 4 star review here. The next Sitcom Trials is the Sci Fi Special in London on Nov 28th, and then you might care to stay tuned for the announcement of 2013's plans.

Kev F

You can now book tickets online for tomorrow's Sci Fi Sitcom Trials http://www.camdenhead.com/events/eventdetails/28-nov-12-the-sitcom-trials--sci-fi-special-camden-head/ Yes, I know it's a bit last minute, but thought you should know. Turn up on the door and you should be okay, but book online and you can be surer of squeezing in.

And the winner of the Sci Fi Sitcom Trials was.... Alice & The Genie by Neil Tollfree. Congrats (report to follow)

Yeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
Yes!
Yes!
Yes!

Brilliant news.
Thank you.

Congrats Neil! Well done!

Dan

Well done Trinder

The Sci Fi Sitcom Trials at the Camden Head in London on Weds Nov 28th was a tremendous success, showcasing five new sitcom scripts of the highest quality in the tightest of contests.

The sitcoms, in order of appearance, were Starship Impossible written, directed by and co-starring Myles McLeod (above in rehearsal); Event Horizon Crescent by Jeremy Limb, directed by Louisa Gummer; Burrax: Bringer Of Desserts by Andy Gittins, directed by and co-starring Nick Ewans; Alice & The Genie by Neil Tollfree, directed by and co-starring Chris Fitchew; and Not From Round Here by Ben Lole, directed by & co-starring Sarit Chen.

As always the audience saw the 5 sitcoms up to a cliffhanger moment then voted for their favourite, only seeing the ending of the winner. And that winner was ... Alice and the Genie by Neil Tollfree. Congratulations to Neil and all the writers, it was a splendid show, a video of which will be following soon.

Alice and The Genie

The audience had the chance to win a prize by coming up with their own ideas in The Pitch Fest, the prize being a poster from tonight's show signed by the cast & directors (see photo below). The winning suggestion was "Chairs - A similar concept to Cheers, but all the characters are played by inanimate furniture. Ernie 'Bench' Pantusso and Frasier Cane Chair are already two characters. But the possibilities are endless." Er, I'm not claiming the competition was as stiff in the Pitch Fest as it was in the rest of the show. Watch this space for video of this show and details of the next.

Congrats Trinder!

Well done, Neil! :D

From the Sci Fi Sitcom Trials, held at the Camden Head London on Weds Nov 28th 2012, here is a video capturing a taste of the night. As ever you really had to be there, but hopefully this gives you a feeling of what you missed.

See a full report and photos here

Thoughts on the Sci Fi Sitcom Trials

Tonight's was an excellent show, with the highest standard of scripts, equalled by the quality of the productions. I can safely say there have never been this many sound cues used in a production of The Sitcom Trials, and as far as I could tell not a single one was missed. All hail the iPad, and occasional use of an iPod, it's the future kids.

The quantity (and, arguably quality) of props was also at a high, with Myles McLeod's team on Starship Impossible supplying the most. There was, at one point, a wig moment, a beard moment, a moose moment, and recurring appearances of a plague doctor / Venatian masque mask. Top marks. Best use of a sound cue goes to Event Horizon Crescent's "I'm not your Mum" line, and most self-effacing casting goes to Nick Ewans who was the unseen yet titular Burrax Bringer Of Desserts.

Usually with the Trials we have a "Sacrificial Lamb" syndrome with the first sitcom of the night faring poorly as the audience gets to grips with the style of the evening. This show had the opposite situation, with the early sitcoms having such an impact that by the time Not From Round Here hit the stage, its props and sound effects seemed less novel than they might have done. And the science fiction brief resulted in the unusual situation of space-time conflux and every other permutation of alien being a bit passe by the end of the night. Other shows would be jealous of our variety.

The victor of the night defied many odds. Alice and The Genie was a stonking script, blessed by a stonking Chris Fitchew as the Genie and Sarah as Alice. But, and I'm being honest here, the Sitcom Trials on-the-night voting system might normally have squashed it like a bug. Why, you ask? Because you can only fit fifty people in that room, and a good few are the writers, the actors and their friends. Which can sometimes result in the sitcom with the most popular writer (or, worst case scenario, the sitcom with the biggest cast) getting most votes and winning.

So it was the proudest result of the night that the only sitcom whose writer wasn't in the audience, and which had the smallest cast of all (just two), won. Hallelujah for comedy lovers, their good taste and honesty.

Richard Osman's World Cup of Sitcoms. Looks familiar... http://sitcomtrials.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/world-cup-of-sitcom-done-it.html

Quote: Kev F @ December 2 2012, 10:06 AM GMT

Richard Osman's World Cup of Sitcoms. Looks familiar... http://sitcomtrials.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/world-cup-of-sitcom-done-it.html

Revenge idea - report him to FIFA ...

How do I get to read the scripts, everytime I click on the link , I'm told I have to subscribe.

To whome to I subscribe please.

I am a newbe to sitcom writing and need to compare my script to others.

Thanks

Hey Saxby, you need to get a yahoo account and join the Sitcom Trials Yahoo Group. Once you've done that if you go to http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/files/ you can view previous scripts from this year here.