4 Screenwriting - Channel 4 screenwriting course Page 2

Yeah I was going to list stuff I've written (and have been read by the likes of the Beeb etc, just mentioning nothing has been made) so there's stuff I can put there of course.

The only things that have been filmed are old scripts done way back in college as an experiment, nothing official.

Recently realised I've written a few different premises in script form. But the only things I've written multiple episodes of are the sitcom mission/laughing stock entry, and the thing I'm entering for this has a somewhat drafted second part (Ep 1 is going through the re-write for this and Red Planet Prize). The stuff I'm much more serious about pushing are being tapped away at, so that's a plus point!

Is it a good idea to mention in my CV that my Laughing Stock entry was being considered by the head of BBC comedy as an alternative to toilet paper?

Quote: Feeoree @ October 1 2011, 3:56 PM BST

Yeah I was going to list stuff I've written (and have been read by the likes of the Beeb etc, just mentioning nothing has been made) so there's stuff I can put there of course.

The only things that have been filmed are old scripts done way back in college as an experiment, nothing official.

Recently realised I've written a few different premises in script form. But the only things I've written multiple episodes of are the sitcom mission/laughing stock entry, and the thing I'm entering for this has a somewhat drafted second part (Ep 1 is going through the re-write for this and Red Planet Prize). The stuff I'm much more serious about pushing are being tapped away at, so that's a plus point!

Bear in mind they're looking for writing samples - not stuff to develop.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 30 2011, 8:10 PM BST

Not a good idea to do that, it's best to blag something, they aren't going to check every broadcast or publication. I always put I have scripts being considered.

Laughing out loud

Quote: sean knight @ October 1 2011, 6:56 PM BST

Is it a good idea to mention in my CV that my Laughing Stock entry was being considered by the head of BBC comedy as an alternative to toilet paper?

Who is the head of BBC comedy?

...and how sensitive is his bottom?

Quote: Lazzard @ September 30 2011, 9:20 AM BST

Anyone else put stuff up for this?
If so, did you get any sort of acknowledgement of your submission - 'cos I didn't.

Nope, no acknowledgement for me either. It's the old waiting game now. With the added tension of not knowing whether I'm actually involved.

Just a bit of info for anyone involved in this.
They're NOT sending out acknowledgment of entries (though they did confirm mine was in).
They hope to send out results mid-december.

Good luck.

Anyone got any tips on writing Writers CVs...?

Looking at your profile, I'd put where you currently work and that you'e recently started screenwriting (leave out 'comedy' - narrows things down).
Put in your competition victory and the Zoetrope thing - wouldn't bother with what you're working on now.
Plus anything else that directly pertains to writing...
Top it off with some old shite about wanting to write TV drama.
I think you're in pretty good shape.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 21 2011, 2:28 PM BST

Looking at your profile, I'd put where you currently work and that you'e recently started screenwriting (leave out 'comedy' - narrows things down).
Put in your competition victory and the Zoetrope thing - wouldn't bother with what you're working on now.

Shit..! I've got to get a job...?

Quote: Lazzard @ October 21 2011, 2:28 PM BST

I've done the above but have added a list (small anyway) of what I'm working on, and that I have submitted both a script to BBC. Ended with a small bit saying I mainly write a comedy drama tone, and have started writing sitcom last year.

My intro bit is quite short, yadda yadda 'I started script in 2002 during media diploma and doing it a lot since 2008 etc. (worded more formally haha).

One thing... Do I mention newsjack submissions? It's a general writing CV I'm doing, so I wanted to include radio (and an interest in writing something full).

Do I mention newsjack submissions?

If you've had material used, yes.

Also...

A writing CV is just like a normal CV.

Just list all your broadcast/publication/whatever credits, either starting with the most recent and working backwards or in sections, i.e, Radio, TV, Theatre, etc.

If you have stuff in development with prodcos, don't forget to mention that.

Of course, this advice is pointless for writers with no credits yet to their names.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 26 2011, 8:04 PM BST

You mean 'lie'...!

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 26 2011, 8:04 PM BST

If you've had material used, yes.

Also...

Just list all your broadcast/publication/whatever credits, either starting with the most recent and working backwards or in sections, i.e, Radio, TV, Theatre, etc.

If you have stuff in development with prodcos, don't forget to mention that.

Of course, this advice is pointless for writers with no credits yet to their names.

Ah, okay. I won't list specifics then, just say I'm in process of writing a drama (said drama I'm submitting...) and a comedy.

Newsjack, I've had nothing broadcast despite submitting each week, so I'll scrub that off.

I've finally finished editing my script. Now to write up my CV. Luckily I've managed to get something on Newsjack (not the series just gone, but the one before), and on a few other shows (Tilt, Never Write Off The Germans). I'm also planning to reference my journalistic work I do for both here and Giggle Beats.