4 Screenwriting - Channel 4 screenwriting course Page 3

The way my luck is going, I've just started crafting my own rejection message and will probably hit send soon, if I can summon up the motivation.

Actually, I've just been wondering, when it says they are looking for, "writers who currently have no broadcast credit", does that mean if you have written for radio who cannot apply. If you had a sketch on Newsjack does that mean you cannot enter?

I am sure they mean a TV broadcast credit Ian. And a sketch credit even if on TV radio, I am also pretty sure wouldn't count either. So get your entry in. :)

Quote: Marc P @ October 27 2011, 11:21 AM BST

I am sure they mean a TV broadcast credit Ian. And a sketch credit even if on TV radio, I am also pretty sure wouldn't count either. So get your entry in. :)

I've sent off an email asking them, just to be sure.

Radio doesn't count, as per eligibility bit on the website:

'Only writers who do not have a broadcast credit as a television or film writer may apply'

Quote: radiat10n @ October 27 2011, 3:45 PM BST

Radio doesn't count, as per eligibility bit on the website:

'Only writers who do not have a broadcast credit as a television or film writer may apply'

Should read these things more. Thanks for that.

evan, I totally understand where you're coming from. I've written something for this and I'm pleased with it HOWEVER I have sent scripts off a few times now and it is such a downer when you realise they're not getting in touch with you.

I know as a writer we have to deal with rejection, but it's still depressing to go through.

Never gets any easier, that's true. Still, this is the life we have chosen.

I've been rewriting something I lost. Not completely sure I'm going to send it.

Might be ready in time for the Red Planet Prize though, depending on when it closes (it hasn't opened yet so there's probably time to proper tighten this script up).

Got to make a decision. Started an idea which has rather outgrown the brief. Will probably be better for Red Planet or direct submission to prod co. Now I just have to decide which of all the half arsed - I mean started - ideas can be tidied up by Monday.

Quote: KLRiley @ October 28 2011, 7:59 AM BST

Got to make a decision. Started an idea which has rather outgrown the brief. Will probably be better for Red Planet or direct submission to prod co. Now I just have to decide which of all the half arsed - I mean started - ideas can be tidied up by Monday.

Isn't the brief 'send a sample of your writing'?
The only hard bit should be deciding which of your many completed masterpieces from over the years to submit...

Quote: radiat10n @ October 28 2011, 9:35 AM BST

The only hard bit should be deciding which of your many completed masterpieces from over the years to submit...

That, my old geigercounter, is the nub of the problem. I haven't finished anything. It's finding a coherent 40 minutes worth and formatting it.

The website says: "Applicants should submit by email a CV and one writing sample. This can be a screenplay, a stage play or radio play, minimum length 30 minutes (novels, treatments, short stories, unfinished screenplays and "shorts" are not acceptable). The scripts should be original, not episodes of existing drama series."

The problem I have is that the only finished stuff I still had in my sent items in emails (that I could move onto my laptop) was comedy episodes, not drama.

Luckily losing things is no longer an issue as I have dropbox now, but something Dramatic has to be rewritten.

The newer version is better, it just actually needs to be re-finished.

I'm sure I read somewhere comedy scripts could be sent...