4 Screenwriting - Channel 4 screenwriting course

http://4talent.channel4.com/extra/4SC

I'm tempted myself. Definitely a good sounding development opportunity and a good insight into writing under commissions and deadlines, even getting an editor. Providing you're one of the lucky 12, of course.

Providing I have something 'complete' (well, a good first draft) to send them I'll be entering.

Now that sounds good.
I've got just the thing.
I fear I may not be diverse enough - but it's worth a pop.

Thanks for the heads-up.

What's the catch? Open door non commissioned writers comp. no retrictions as to age, gender, ethnicity or location.
I must have missed something. But I'm writing. Oh boy am I writing!

Cheers. Cracking spot. And nice of you to pass it on.

Think I'll go for that. I obviously can't write comedy.

Quote: KLRiley @ September 18 2011, 8:53 PM BST

What's the catch? Open door non commissioned writers comp. no retrictions as to age, gender, ethnicity or location.
I must have missed something. But I'm writing. Oh boy am I writing!

Cheers. Cracking spot. And nice of you to pass it on.

The catch is no broadcast credit!

Why do you reckon they're doing this?
Looking for new dramas or new writers?
And is it really continuing drama writers they're after?

The 4Talent website explains that the course gives writers a dry run in writing their own one hour drama pilot from initial idea, through to pitch and then onto broadcast ready script.

From that, I assume they're mainly looking for new blood drama writers.

I think they did the same comp last year. I entered, but didn't get on (obviously).

Seems to be a way to develop new talent, which is cool. Phillip Shelley was/is one of the judges/mentors.

I'll give it a go I think.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 19 2011, 6:59 PM BST

The 4Talent website explains that the course gives writers a dry run in writing their own one hour drama pilot from initial idea, through to pitch and then onto broadcast ready script.

From that, I assume they're mainly looking for new blood drama writers.

It's just there's talk of options in there..
Anyhoo, looks like a good opportunity.

I emailed Channel 4 and they said that they will accept scripts for comedy dramas as well as straight dramas.

Heh, looking at what they want you to send, they want a CV.

Even if it's blank? I could just put it in the email that I have zero writing credits.

Sent off.
Never to be heard of again.

Anyone else put stuff up for this?
If so, did you get any sort of acknowledgement of your submission - 'cos I didn't.

Still got another month. Still scribbling.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ September 19 2011, 8:43 PM BST

I emailed Channel 4 and they said that they will accept scripts for comedy dramas as well as straight dramas.

That's handy to know.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 30 2011, 9:20 AM BST

Anyone else put stuff up for this?
If so, did you get any sort of acknowledgement of your submission - 'cos I didn't.

Not yet, but sometimes I've found replies in my spam tray. I'm sure you've checked.

Quote: Feeoree @ September 19 2011, 10:04 PM BST

Heh, looking at what they want you to send, they want a CV.

Even if it's blank? I could just put it in the email that I have zero writing credits.

Not a good idea to do that, it's best to blag something, they aren't going to check every broadcast or publication. Make it sound like you've got in with a few things but not actually been aired yet. If they love your script, then they will believe it! If you put absolutely nothing then they possibly won't even believe you wrote that script and will reject it. I always put I have scripts being considered. They know it's tough for new writers to break through. Hence this initiative.