The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 37

So did anyone else do a last minute 360 and decide that instead of entering by the Early Bird deadline, they'd forfeit the extra £5? It's a small price for an extra week of rewriting right??! :$

Out of curiosity, to those of you putting two entries in - what was your reason for doing so? Doubling your chances, putting in two wildly contrasting pieces to broaden your appeal, inability to choose between two ideas you loved?

Quote: andyblacksheep @ January 25 2012, 9:57 AM GMT

Out of curiosity, to those of you putting two entries in - what was your reason for doing so? Doubling your chances, putting in two wildly contrasting pieces to broaden your appeal, inability to choose between two ideas you loved?

In my case it was simply that I had a better idea after I entered the first one ;)

PS
Hi Ste Wave

Someone may have already asked this way back, the thread is over 35 pages long and I am way too busy to read through it all, but how much swearing can we put in our scripts? Within reason obviously. Not that I find swearing particularly big or clever, but it can make a line funnier.

This is a bit of a waste of time seeing as I haven't really started putting pen to paper on my script, with only 5 days left.

Quote: swerytd @ January 25 2012, 8:44 AM GMT

Why didn't you just call it Her & Him? :)

Dan

PS Hi!

Well let's just not go there! >_<

Hiya peeps

I need a little help. I have read the rules and need some clarification. I am not interested at all in Critique, so please, opinion on rule clarification only. Rule three states

#3.It is a condition of entry that entrants warrant that their work contains no defamatory matter, also that it does not breach any third party rights or contain any quotation from copyright material without appropriate permission having been obtained.

which is fair enough, without getting in to too much detail and popping it into a nutshell can I say that - Maragaret Thatcher was given a claw by God to slow down her reign of terror and then John Major was sent by the devil to replace her as prime minister? And then can I state that John Major had an affair with another demon sent by satan (not mentioning a name and hoping everyone remembers Edwina Currie) but has stopped and is been a good lad now?

Or is this defamotory? Lets face it worse things are said on things like Mock the Week regularly.

Secondly, if I had a charecter wearing a walkman would they be able to sing along with the words of Temptation by Heaven Seventeen? Thats sing along out loud to it without anyone else hearing the music?

All opionions welcome (apart from Sootyj) only joking!

Batley

Wave

Hi Batley,

I think the defamatory stuff has probably more to do with race / religion rather then public figures. So if your sitcom is full of bomb crazy Muslims or your main character likes to call everyone the 'N' word every 5 seconds, then it may not be suitable for performance.

As for music, it all depends on the venue. Most of them have a PRS license, so copyrighted music and lyrics are usually not a problem.

Hi Batley

I believe that you'll get away with the Conservative-Satan pact due to its ridiculousness. Satan would never form a coalition with those guys.

Andy Hamilton's been writing that sort of thing for years in Old Harry's Game.

Music is fine. The New Diorama has a PRS licence.

Quote: Frank Owen @ January 25 2012, 2:11 PM GMT

Someone may have already asked this way back, the thread is over 35 pages long and I am way too busy to read through it all, but how much swearing can we put in our scripts? Within reason obviously. Not that I find swearing particularly big or clever, but it can make a line funnier.

This is a bit of a waste of time seeing as I haven't really started putting pen to paper on my script, with only 5 days left.

Hi Frank

Depending on which channel you want to pitch your script at will influence the language the characters use. Channel 4 maybe yes, CBBC not so much.

Do you prefer stage format or film/tv format? Thanks.

Thanks Renegade and thanks Declan. As you can tell I am waiting until the last minute to submit my script because I need to keep it up to date with all that's happenning currently in the world. Have I got news? Here I come.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ January 25 2012, 4:55 PM GMT

Do you prefer stage format or film/tv format? Thanks.

Stage is best, but funny and interesting are even better.

Thanks Dec, Celtx stage format it is. I can't seem to find the "funny and interesting" plugins anywhere. I'll have to check the user manual again!

Quote: evan rubivellian @ January 25 2012, 5:11 PM GMT

Thanks Dec, Celtx stage format it is. I can't seem to find the "funny and interesting" plugins anywhere. I'll have to check the user manual again!

With Final Draft 12 they'll come as standard.

Sorry to be a pain, but I've just discovered that Celtx offers two different stage formats: "International", with character names on the left, and "American" with the character names centred.

Any preference? I just want to give you the format you find easier to read.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ January 25 2012, 7:36 PM GMT

Sorry to be a pain, but I've just discovered that Celtx offers two different stage formats: "International", with character names on the left, and "American" with the character names centred.

Any preference? I just want to give you the format you find easier to read.

No preference. Focussing on the premise, characters, relationships, dialogue, setting etc is enough to worry about. We really don't care whether dialogue is on the left or in the centre. Honest.