Ideal axed by BBC Page 3

If there is a fanbase for this, as there seems to be, then why can't the production co. simply court a new channel to air it on? The writer wants to carry on with it as did the actors. Then surely the prod. co.'s job is to find another suitable airing slot for a successful show?

All it needs is a phone call, obviously a few lavish lunches at Ivy's on expenses and you have a new contract for further series on a channel that wants you. I don't see any huge problem. If it's popular, then surely you can take it elsewhere? That's very basic economics.

Depends on the terms of the contracts they've had with the BBC, and what other sales and marketing implications such a move might incur, it mightn't be that easy.

Do a Ref Dwarf and take it to Dave!

I don't think anything is beyond consideration, and Ideal without the BBC may well be the way to go.
Then again, it would be good for it to stay at the BBC, as it would be nice to stop the rot setting in.
The BBC is unique in its remit, and BBC Three was supposed to be adventurous and bold in its programming. In the past it's lived up to this (hit & miss/safety & risk), and sadly the new controller isn't even living up to his own words. When he started, he made the statement:
"BBC Three is on fire at the moment and I hope to be able to continue to support everyone's great work on quality programmes."
Way to go Zai. What is he going to do next, bring us the magic that created "The Only Way Is Essex"? If he remodels BBC Three along the line of his last job at ITV2 & 4, the enemies of the BBC will have more ammo.
If the BBC can't produce anything better than that trash, why have a BBC at all?
If it can't honour its history, it doesn't have a future.

To be fair to Zai, he was just making commercial shows for the demographic of those particular channels. It's not like ITV2 before him was the home of plays, opera and maths documentaries.

No, quite, but it's not like he has a track record of anything else but poor commercial channels. I think he could be in danger of falling back on what he knows from Five & the lesser ITVs, cheap stuff, aimed at the lowest common denominator, to theoretically maximise viewers (Geordie Finishing School for Girls/World's Craziest Fools/The Pranker, and surely that should be 'Prankster' ffs). How many channels like that does anyone need? Maybe to make his mark, building on the successes of the channel would be a good way to start, rather than gutting it and just hoping the new stuff works?
Ideal (and other shows axed) weren't big budget shows, and each only produced 6-8 eps a year, but at least in Ideal's case they kept people tuning in, and that makes people give the shows on either side a watch.
To be fair, he is keeping Mongrels, I don't like it, but it has be spared the axe so far. Tonight, OK it is Saturday, and most channels have given up on Saturdays, apart from a film, everything is repeats, with only Family Guy vaguely interesting, if I hadn't seen them already.
Anyone could (and they do) make the kind of shows that dominate BBC Three, but only the BBC would commission a show like Ideal.

To be fair to Zai, The Pranker et al are products of Danny Cohen. I don't think we've seen a single Zai programme broadcast yet.

On the flip-side, Mongrels is currently in the latter stages of production of Series 2; it'd be terribly bad form, even by a channel controller's standards, to make an announcement on its future now. It could well still face the chop.

I've been meaning to write a proper review of Ideal for ages, as it is one of my favourite sitcoms, and the only reason I ever watch BBC Three. With the unfortunate news of its cancellation, it was the kick up the arse I needed to finally write my review (now tribute) to this truly innovative, funny, dark, yet warm sitcom: http://thehippestkidsintown.tumblr.com/post/8619237967/ideal-nicely-nicely :)

A couple of your pictures aren't showing (the first one and the one of Moz).

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 8 2011, 8:58 AM BST

A couple of your pictures aren't showing (the first one and the one of Moz).

Should be working now. :)

Nope, idgif1 & m1 still not working.

It all looks good from here, despite the missing images.
An excellent summation of the series.

Oh, I dunno then, they are working at my end. :) They're a gif files, so maybe that's causing a problem??

It could do with a link to the petition though Whistling nnocently http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saveideal/

Thanks, I shall add that link to the article.

Sinead Matthews who plays Jenny on the show just messaged me on Facebook to tell me how she appreciated the article! :)