Ideal axed by BBC Page 2

This is bad news. It had a great run but wasn't it at the height of its popularity? I suppose it's the old story - new commissioner, out with the old, in with the new etc. Let's hope the "new" is as good.

Zai Bennett (BBC Three controller) is really starting to annoy me. I didn't really 'get' Ideal - but apparently the latest series received the highest ratings so far (about 20% more than the last series). I see no reason why it should be axed.
Zai Bennett says he wants to be known as a risk taker. But I think this is just stupid.
He has now axed all the comedies on BBC Three apart from Mongrels and Russell Howard's Good News.

Did Graham Duff write every single episode himself? That's a very impressive record considering it's maintained a consistantly high standard throughout (at least it has in the 5 series I've seen so far).

Haven't seen one minute of this programme ever! Not for any particular reason.

How very English of them. American networks won't yank (no pun intended) a show until it's a shattered husk of its former self.

Quote: Will Cam @ August 4 2011, 6:28 AM BST

Haven't seen one minute of this programme ever! Not for any particular reason.

No nor have I, despite being a Johnny Vegas fan. I think the drugs aspect always put me off it.

Quote: DaButt @ August 4 2011, 6:31 AM BST

How very English of them. American networks won't yank (no pun intended) a show until it's a shattered husk of its former self.

How true that is. Shows the most alarming of all differences between us. You drag out all good things to death and we don't know a good thing when we see one.

Thats a pity, its one of my favourite comedies. Its oddity and lack of middle class pretension was refreshing...I rather like it not all being tied up, that's what life is like.

It is one of the few genuine working class comedies, which does make it something of an oddity.

Becoming more common now though, there's even finally a working class famcom (though just as poor as the mass of middle class ones). Will Mellor is in most of them.

Quote: chipolata @ August 4 2011, 10:30 AM BST

It is one of the few genuine working class comedies, which does make it something of an oddity.

Yep and the characters are only slightly less odd than some of my friends...

The controller responsible is becoming the target of the fans wrath now.
His wiki gets funnier with every revision. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zai_Bennett

I've never really liked the show, even though I've watched about 70% of the episodes that have been shown.

By the way, can someone tell me why "Cartoonhead" wears that f**king mask? I've been wanting someone to tell me for the last 7 years!

It was super-glued onto his face by Stemroach as a punishment. Can't remember why though.

I reckon the true story about Cartoon Head's mask is probably going to remain unsolved anyway, as with the red bag, although I am not sure whether Graham gave an official version of it or left it unexplained on purpose, intending to develop that particular storyline sooner or later.

It's not needed that everything is explained or even makes proper sense I think. Ideal is very European in that strange things happen, humour mixes freely with tragedy and things just happen and the characters cope with it as best they can. American story lines are most often fully rounded and have conclusions, the main character progresses and becomes "better" or solves a problem.